Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:39:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690844
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Scavenging diary - new scenery pics 04/01/2015  (Read 9822 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Scavenging diary - new scenery pics 04/01/2015
« on: December 22, 2014, 06:14:00 AM »
Scavenger sounds much better when it's rhymed with Avenger.....

I am one (a scavenger, not an avenger) (unless you count my ability to see extra lights and colours; I usually attribute that to migraine) (it can scarcely be a coincidence that my head hurts when my superpower manifests itself) (but I digress). I collect stuff from wherever I find it. An old monitor stand becomes a radar installation; a display rack a multi-storey landing pad. Seeing I say as well record the piles of rubbish I accumulate, I will try to keep an open diary. Open, as in I'd like to see other people's good finds too.

21st December 2014 (last night) - the wife was invited to the Dental students' Christmas dinner as she lectures, and I went as spouse. Scattered on the tablecloths were fake (I guess.... ) diamonds, intended to put a bit of sparkle. Maybe the tablecloth was a Twilight fan. Anyway, I pocketed a handful and went home with diamonds in my pocket. I only picked 9, as there's a limit to how many head-sized (28mm scale) jewels I will need.
On the less glamorous side, I should also point out I collected a bit of PVC drain pipe with an interested cap which someone had thrown out.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 10:23:13 AM by Vanvlak »

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
Re: Scavenging diary
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 11:01:05 AM »
 lol I love this thread already :D I shall see what I can add and will watch your own finds.

Cheers
Matt.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 11:16:13 AM »
A noble pursuit.

I do a bit of casual waiting and dishwashing at a place that does wedding receptions and dinner functions. I've seen the kind of 'plastic diamond scatter terrain' you're talking about, but didn't think much about it. (Maybe I can put together some dwarf hoards) I have managed to accumulate a good pile of corks for sculpting, tho.

Offline baldlea

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 12:29:30 PM »
Much of New Finchley comes from the back of a friend's old CRT TV.

When we visted Malta, we went to that PlayMobil park down south. They had loads of scenery toys I wanted to take home!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 12:32:16 PM by baldlea »

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 06:12:46 PM »
Advertising signage - my wife's work gets through loads of it when they're having promotions and whatnot. You know the sort of thing they have in call centres and financial offices, pictures of happy smiling people enjoying the benefits of [insert product name here]. Anyhoo, it's made from Forex (a kind of lightweight plasti-card in a variety of thicknesses) or foamboard. Whenever they are chucking out the signs (after the promotion has expired) she brings them home to me. They're usually at least 5ft x 3ft size. That stuff is good for all sorts of uses.

There's also a few birch trees near where I live, so in the late summer, when the catkins are shedding their seeds and the scales fall to the ground, I go around with a plastic bag in my pocket, scooping up the general leaf litter and stuff off the ground. I take it home and pick out the birch seed scales (superb for depicting autumn leaves on bases) and any wee twigs or such for basing.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 06:56:51 PM »
This is where the scavvies are hiding eh? I ought to report you lot to the Imperials!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 05:23:26 PM »
24th December (well, 23rd actually, as I collected them yesterday)
Plastic wine glasses with detachable bases from the staff party - the pic also shows the bits of drain pipe and the 'diamonds' I picked up on the 21st, and a defocussed beakie for scale.

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 05:36:05 PM »
I'm always picking up random bits of metal, plastic and wood when I'm walking around. Loads of it ends up unused in an old shoe box but quite a bit of it ends up in post-apoc/sci-fi junk piles and on bases. Best find ever was one of those long threaded bolts you use to attach headboards to bed frames. With the large plastic caps. I just happened to be building up my fantasy fungal forest at the time so it made a great mushroom with a bit of putty and textured paint.

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 07:06:53 PM »
Hmm ... scavenging? I'd say scavenging is quite a trend these days. And in more than one way. Just a few days ago someone broached it in a answer to my sale topic. But i feel it was not meant to be a positive remark.
As to the collecting, in a rather manic way, of discarded materiels for later use ...... i am guilty as charged. Although just this summer i got rid of a huge pile of scavege ;-) Lots of thin cardboard rolls, plastic cups 'n glasses of almost every size imaginable, carboard tubes of various shapes 'n sizes and a mountain of polystyrene. Not to mention a myriad of smaller item like plastic spoons, bottle caps, detergent flasks, empty sprues and lots more. It's all gone. But i think i will start again. I can not help it. I need to do it. Help me ;-)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 07:11:04 PM »
But i think i will start again. I can not help it. I need to do it. Help me ;-)
Sure - shall I send you some stuff  :D ;) ;)

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2014, 08:28:02 AM »
Indeed. Vanvlak! Will you do that? But i am rather picky you know. ;-)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2014, 09:15:23 AM »
Indeed. Vanvlak! Will you do that? But i am rather picky you know. ;-)

No problem, if you believe in the utility of anything.
Now I just emptied the cat litter.....*

*true story: I regularly use cat litter as rubble on bases**
**unused***
***I have also used pepper in the past as gravel, which works, is surprisingly resistant to degradation, and gives my older models a distinct smell.

:D
Need any plastic cups?

Offline cgh

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2014, 10:27:57 AM »
Mince pie cases to shell holes.  Squash 'em, glue and sand, black then brown spray, drybrush light brown and flock edges.

I'm getting fat....

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2014, 11:03:57 AM »
Mince pie cases to shell holes.  Squash 'em, glue and sand, black then brown spray, drybrush light brown and flock edges.

I'm getting fat....
THAT is a clever one - and also one I should not emulate  :D

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2014, 12:29:35 PM »
It's not scavenging, it's re-using, and therefore is an important public environmental service!  :D

Of course, it can also lead to hoarding, which can prove less popular with your significant others.  :o
Waiter, my soup is giggling.