Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:44:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for new female figures for my Wynston, Low Fantasy Assassin (ARRIVED!)  (Read 4860 times)

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Hi all! I know I'm coming to the right place with this question! I'm looking for new female figures for my main character. Wynston is a blacksmith by day, master assassin by night in a Dark-age Low Fantasy World.

These are some of the figures I currently use:

From left to right, a converted witch from Mega-minis, two Werner Klocke thieves, modified Valeria from one of the old Conan sets (I think, memory's a bit fuzzy and too many google hits to sort), and a mid-90s Ral Partha.

I'm thinking something along the line of the 3 stage thief sets from Fenryll, maybe :
http://fenryll.com/product.php?id_product=65

Does anybody know if they are true 28mm? I'd be using them with Foundry Vikings, and it's an over-seas expense for me so I want to be sure they'll work.

How about other suggestions? We use a few Bronze Age Mini Viking Women as large female fighters in the armies, but they're too big to use with the other PCs' minis.

Thank you in advance for any help,
Jevenkah
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 05:29:42 PM by Jevenkah »

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Looking for new female figures for my Wynston, Low Fantasy Assassin
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 11:35:39 AM »
try Iron wind metals, they should have something you will like
http://ironwindmetals.com/store/index.php?cPath=263&osCsid=62u4hbrf4kv9ji6ki470ro76a2
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 03:11:28 PM »
Reaper has some interesting female assassins:

http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/female%20assassin

& thieves:

http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/female%20thief

Bronze Age has some really nice pieces with the 30% sale as a bonus:

http://www.bronzeagemin.com/miniatures_html/32MM/FANTASY/fantasy32mm.htm

Despite the awful photo, I rater like this one:

I figure for a choice of a personal mini you should have as wide a range as possible from which to choose.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 03:43:26 PM by DeafNala »
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 10:03:56 PM »
If you want specifics, Hero Forge has a lot of options there

Here's an example I tossed together https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=81026

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 10:25:54 PM »
Always buy at a discount  ;)

http://www.miniature-giant.com/female-adult-Reaper-dark-heaven-legends-race-c-284.html

That last mini looks a LOT like Gwendalyn the Healer, btw
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 02:45:22 AM »
I'm thinking something along the line of the 3 stage thief sets from Fenryll, maybe :
http://fenryll.com/product.php?id_product=65

Does anybody know if they are true 28mm? I'd be using them with Foundry Vikings, and it's an over-seas expense for me so I want to be sure they'll work.
Jevenkah

The few Fenryll I have are 35mm-40mm scale, close to Rackham in height but bulkier. Using a program like gimp or photoshop (or a just holding up a ruler to the screen) you can figure out the height by the base size. Many of their figures have integrated 20mm or 25mm bases and roughly follow the GW convention (20mm for humans, 25 for orcs, etc). You'll see how big they are.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 04:50:34 PM »
Gotta watch out with Reaper too. It's true they've got lots of figures that might work sculpting-wise, but Reaper stuff is all over the place scale-wise, and within that tends to average more to 30 than 28mm, in my experience.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 03:35:45 AM »
Thanks for all the brilliant advice! Scale is such a frustrating niggle.

I thought that healer came from a Larry Elmore Silver & Steel set, but I am apparently confusing her with six of the other pretty cloaked figures that have been waiting for me to paint them for 20 years  lol

Jevenkah

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Thanks for the help, all! I went with the Fenryll 3 stage thief I was looking at, and after ordering on 3 Jan, I picked up a package from the post office today containing those three, a 3 stage female mage, and a set of 3 half orc women.

I think they size up just fine. They will fit nicely with the other vikings we have.

I'm not really keen on the material though. There is a TON of flash on some of these. Is this to be expected with resin? We only have 2 reaper bones in our collection and the rest are metal, so it is unfamiliar territory.

I have a couple quibbles with the minis: there is a crossbow on the back of one that wasn't visible on the website. The detail on the back of the cloaks is very soft and not natural-looking. And the front leg of the girl on the left is awkward. She's either got a sickly bulging calf muscle or a broken leg.

In the end, including shipping, taxes, and currency exchange fees, they cost slightly over $5 USD per mini, way more than we generally spend. Then again, we aren't building armies with these.

So, was it worth  it? We'll see after my husband gets them painted!

Jevenkah

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
OOH NEW MINIS! I love getting stuff in the mail.
From the photo the Girls are LOOKIN' GOOD....$5 is low to medium priced for most fantasy minis these days. Resin castings usually have some parting compound remaining; a scrub with an old tooth brush & some warm soapy water will rid the mini of the stuff & make painting much easier. I'm sure Himself will enjoy the painting; AND having a new Wyntson to swashbuckle with will be FUN!.

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
OOH NEW MINIS! I love getting stuff in the mail.
From the photo the Girls are LOOKIN' GOOD....$5 is low to medium priced for most fantasy minis these days. Resin castings usually have some parting compound remaining; a scrub with an old tooth brush & some warm soapy water will rid the mini of the stuff & make painting much easier. I'm sure Himself will enjoy the painting; AND having a new Wyntson to swashbuckle with will be FUN!.

Minis by mail are fun! It was even more fun to get the package at the post office since we spent a day thinking it might have been plowed under all this snow.

Thanks for the tips! Teshub started scraping last night. The crossbow will be a sap soon. 

The price was fine for a fantasy mini, we've just been buying the historics for the last few years, and we're...discerning shoppers. The orc army we put together from Mirliton came to just under $3 USD per mini (not including the BIG orcs, those were more).

I'm a bit bummed at the overall quality of the sculpts. Some elements of the figures are very good; I like the faces and the level of detail on the clothing is great. But some of the accessories that were formed separately and stuck on are pressed into the character, like the aforementioned crossbow which is mushed into the cloak, and a sword half-drawn that is a curved to the shape of the body under it. However, I think overall with a paint job, they will be fine. It doesn't help my nit-picking that a lot of our fantasy collection was sculpted by Julie Guthrie.

I'm excited to see new Wynstons though, and can't wait for Teshub to get them on the table!
Jevenkah

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
I think it's a fair enough reflection if you ask me. Fenryll are defenitely a bit of a mixed bag like that. Some really nice miniatures, and some equally as ropey.

That said these are not the latter, bar perhaps, the details you have identified that sound as if they were shoved on as a bit of an afterthought.

To be honest, I have gone down using historicals to make my fantasy themed forces now. I think it helps that I wanted mine to be dark age themed, so have gone with the Gripping Beast plastics as a starter for my human late roman force.

I think it's a matter of finding the best of what is out there in your mind, and making it fit!
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus