Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:03:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Song of Drums & Tomahawks - a couple of rules Q's  (Read 2234 times)

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
Song of Drums & Tomahawks - a couple of rules Q's
« on: December 27, 2014, 05:07:16 PM »
Received this excellent-looking set of rules as a gift this year, and am very excited to get started!  I'm familiar with the "Songs of..." rules system from a few previous titles (Quar, Arthurian, Deep Wars), but I always give a read-through and just a couple of questions popped up for me:

The first part of the formula given, (Combat x 5 + Traits), indicates to me that you would multiply combat by five, then add the traits, but the example given suggests you add the traits plus five first, then multiply by combat.  Is the example correct?

Reloading

I'm a little unclear on which weapons can reload and fire in the same turn and which ones can't (assuming the character has three actions for that turn).  First it is stated "a figure that rolled three actions can reload a firearm and then shoot it with the third action."  Next, though, it states "Rifles in this period were slower to reload we're even slower to reload, though. To reflect this, a figure may not reload and shoot in the same turn, even if it rolled three actions."  I take this to mean that only rifles can't be reloaded and fired in the same turn! is that correct?

That's all for now.  I have to say, I'm really impressed with this book! It will be a fun period to game, especially as I'm completely new to it. On that note, do people have some recommendations for miniatures? I'm aware of the Conquest figures, from the book, which look great. What other ranges do folks feel are compatible?

Thanks!

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Re: Song of Drums & Tomahawks - a couple of rules Q's
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 08:42:22 PM »
The first part of the formula given, (Combat x 5 + Traits), indicates to me that you would multiply combat by five, then add the traits, but the example given suggests you add the traits plus five first, then multiply by combat.  Is the example correct?

The example is correct. Sorry for the confusion. To be honest, I always cheat and use the online warband generator when pointing out my forces. You can find it here: http://www.ganeshagames.net/army_builders/SDSbuilder.html

You will note that some of the Traits are not present (like Scalping). Simply substitute a trait in the generator of the same point cost.

I'm a little unclear on which weapons can reload and fire in the same turn and which ones can't (assuming the character has three actions for that turn).  First it is stated "a figure that rolled three actions can reload a firearm and then shoot it with the third action."  Next, though, it states "Rifles in this period were slower to reload we're even slower to reload, though. To reflect this, a figure may not reload and shoot in the same turn, even if it rolled three actions."  I take this to mean that only rifles can't be reloaded and fired in the same turn! is that correct?

You are correct, sir! In the rules, it is the only weapon that can't take advantage of the reload & fire when rolling 3 actions. However, we are hard at work on sourcebooks which cover the very early part of the period. There will be more weapons added (Crossbow, atl atl, wheellocks, etc.). Some of them will also not be able to fire and reload in the same turn.

Thanks for the compliments, and feel free to post some battle reports! Or ask any other questions that arise...

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
Re: Song of Drums & Tomahawks - a couple of rules Q's
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 06:02:23 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up! I'll definitely be using the online figure builder, looks cool.

Step 1: Buy some FIW figures
Step 2: Paint said figures
Step 3: Profit? Post battle reports!

Looking forward to the future supplements, as well!