Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:06:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690915
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 641
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fitting figures to horses  (Read 3970 times)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Fitting figures to horses
« on: December 27, 2014, 09:52:37 PM »

What is the best way to attach riders to horses? It's quite simple when they fit well together (like Front Rank miniatures and others) but not so much when the figures "float" on the saddles (like Boot Hill miniatures and others) or just won't fit between saddles blanket rolls and the likes.

What would be the best approach? Trim the figures or trim the horse saddles and other furniture? Or maybe someone have completely different option?

Thanks for the tips and help.

Cheers! 8)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 03:22:18 AM by Calimero »
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
Re: Fitting figures to horses
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 11:18:57 PM »
what would be the best approach? Trim the figures or trim the horse saddles and other furniture? Or maybe someone have completely different option?
I usually either file the riders bum or putty the gap and build it up as part of the saddle.  It really depends on how bad the float is.  Hope that helps.
Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 11:30:29 PM »
I usually either file the riders bum or putty the gap and build it up as part of the saddle.  It really depends on how bad the float is.  Hope that helps.
Snitchy sends.

The figures I'm working on ATM are 40mm Sash and Saber ECW Command... the "gap" between the riders bum and the saddle are about 2mm high... that may not sound like a lot but it's very inconvenient since I only have access to very liquid super glue to hold those pieces together >:(

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 06:26:34 AM »
I have in the past used heavy tin/aluminum foil to fill gaps. Fold as needed to build up depth. Super glue layers to horse, then rider as normal.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 09:32:02 AM »
For metal figures I tend to bend the legs outwards, sit the figure on the horse and then bend the legs back again.

If there is still a gap then a black or very dark brown undercoat usually disguises the fact.

Never tried it with 40mm figures though but the tin foil sounds a good idea although you will have to pin the figure in place as the tin foil will be a very weak joint.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Remgain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 06:51:31 PM »
Just now I had the same problem with Westwind (now Old Glory) mounted cowboys.
After some filing and trimming to adjust the contact, I put a drop of superglue on the back of the horse, then a blob of Milliput, and finally another drop of superglue.
Then I fit the rider on the mount... voilà!

Marco

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 09:26:11 PM »
There's also the old superglue-and-talc trick. Basically just mix some of your superglue with a powdered filler to form a paste you can use to putty stuff with. Some people recommend baking soda, but all the stuff I did with baking soda back in the day turned yellow and fizzy/crumbly with time, so I strongly advise against it. Talc baby powder worked great though. Smoother consistency and better working time than with baking soda, as well as longevity. Stuff cures up rock-hard, so it's best to trim/sand in the same session as applying it.

To be honest though, unless you're living in a cabin in the middle of nowhere or something, you can probably at least get a tube/roll of repair epoxy putty from a local hardware or big box store.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Gary Peach

• Scientist
  • I paint to live, not live to paint.
    • www.marchattack.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 10:32:57 PM »
Ive started using Green Stuff.  Before painting, see how close a fit you can get with a file, bending the legs etc.  Then mix up Green Stuff, fit to the saddle, wet the figure and push fit and trim.  Wetting the figure means it wont stick.

Paint and then glue.

Other than that its mixing the super glue with talc or powder fillers.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 03:13:56 AM »

Thanks all for the tips and ideas... I think I'll try the putty/green stuff method... The only down side is I'll need to wait till I'm back home (where all my hobby stuff is) from the Holidays...  :(

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 09:31:23 PM »
No hardware stores where you are? Hardware store epoxy putty isn't quite as nice to sculpt with as hobby epoxy putty, but it'll do just as well in the end if you've got confident hands. Usually they'll have a couple with different cure times, mostly 5 minute, but sometimes 20 minute, for around 5 bucks. Auto places are a good bet too.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 10:43:50 PM »
I roll a little thin sausage of greenstuff (or Milliput, or whatever's to hand) and super-glue it to the rider's crotch and inside thigh. Then I put superglue on the inner curve of this and squish it down onto the saddle. Any bits of putty that squeeze out I either scrape away or poke back into the gap with a toothpick.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 04:37:24 PM by Cubs »
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 11:35:28 PM »
I roll a little thin sausage of greenstuff (or Milliput, or whatever's to hand) and super-glue it to the rider's crotch and inside thigh. Then I put superglue on the inner curve of this and squish it down onto the saddle. Any bits of putty that squeeze out I either scrape away of poke back into the gap with a toothpick.

This is my 'go-to' technique for sticking metal to anything wherever possible.
It gives a good solid join and hides any gaps.

I do get through a lot of green stuff, though....

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 07:55:18 PM »
You go through a lot of greenstuff anyway, Mason!  lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Stepman3

• Scientist
    • http://stepman3.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 10:40:08 PM »
I like to use "Blu Tac" or "poster tac need to have a ". It's kinda gummy but you can remove the rider from the horse if you r need to dismount...a BB size glob holds perfect and wont peel your paint...