Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:35:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691073
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Lost to the Zone  (Read 70037 times)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Lost to the Zone - And a Ukrainian Humvee Too :)
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2015, 04:37:58 PM »
Humvees are something that I've gone about before in this thread. Actually I bought some to use for this setting, but never got around to it. Well I've made one for the Fallout setting and found that that wasn't too difficult. So to that end I thought I'd try my hand at a Ukrainian one for the Military faction in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Obviously I haven't spent much time on this thing so far, but the distinctive bodywork's been blocked out. I'll probably leave this fairly unmodified from the real world model, bar adding on some stowage. I would say that the armament will be different though as I couldn't get a hold of the particular gun those Humvees are armed with. Instead I'm going for a DShK instead, which I guess could be a logical mount given that those are used on other vehicles. 

Anyhow, the stuff that comes up because I can't be bothered to finish painting other crap. :)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2015, 10:22:36 PM »
I was lazy yesterday, or rather over eager, so I may have posted that Humvee too early. A couple of hours later it was looking like this. :)

Then I went to bed and didn't get around to finishing it. What's left to do is mostly the wee details and to work on the rear of the cab some more. Ah, though I did wake up today to find out that my nephew had been messing about with my stuff while I was asleep, so some repair work's needed on both those things. Anyway, I'll reiterate, Humvees are awesome, even if in the real world they aren't the most practical of vehicles. ...And a DShK machine gun mounted on a Humvee just looks weird. ^^'

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2015, 03:21:10 AM »
Well to update for the sake of updating, here's what else I'm working on for this setting. Yes I am working on like two dozen things at once. :D

That's the DayZ style house that I posted a while ago. I've since added more balsa to it to fill it out a bit more, but I wasn't able to finish the ground floor as, as ever, I ran out of wood. I'll buy some more today, though aye the plan is to fill out the main building then add a removable roof above it. Um, looking at the layout of the rooms I will say that it isn't the most practical of houses as I should have added an extra door into the right hand room (as it stands people need to head through the two rear rooms to do that, and one of them's probably a bedroom).

It'll great if I can ever have enough terrain for this setting to compete with my Fallout stuff, but at the moment my aim's just to have a village table with maybe a general store, a couple of Soviet monuments, warehouses, etc. Tsk, and aye, more anomalies. :D

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
A bit more work came along this morning. This time on a pair of Military soldiers.

Those are from Empress' modern Russian line. I didn't paint them in the standard speckled green that people are used to seeing on the Tv though. Nah the guy on the right's based on a pattern seen early in the war, whilst the one on the left is painted in Blackwater Mercenary colours (which yes I know the armour in the picture below isn't the same as the model's wearing, but meh). I'll probably use these both as Military Stalkers, though the Blackwater guy of course could turn up in the Mercenary faction. :)

Besides those I've started on some more Military types plus a Whirligig anomaly (with a floating Stalker in the middle). Not that that's saying much as I start a lot of things of course. ;)

Offline clanmac

• Mad Scientist
  • Danger - Stupid and Industrious
    • Clan Mac's Post Apocalyptia
Love that Humvee. That's a brilliant conversion.
Mac

It's not big, or clever, but let's do it anyway

https://www.facebook.com/Junkt0wn/

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
More work's been done on the cabin ...though all that balsa does horrible things to my hayfever.

That's most of the main building blocked out, its just tidying up a few bits that's left. I'll add some furniture to it, but nothing too crowded looking (if I went for a realistic level then there wouldn't be anywhere to put the models).

I don't know how many of these that I should build. A couple more would do for a decent looking village I suppose. Though maybe I should mix in smaller sheds and maybe a larger general store made from concrete too? Its all the balsa wood that these take that kill me, so maybe the concrete shop is perhaps a good idea (which would be made from foam mostly). One of these things, again from DayZ.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
That's one awesome house there. I love to see projects that are actually built from miniature versions of the real thing! Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Thanks
n

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
One more thing for my to takes ages to finish then, a set of garages (or lockups. Garages like that are called lockups here, don't know if that's the same elsewhere), again from DayZ. Youknow I don't even play that game. :D

I'm cutting the foam out now. The measurements for it are 11 by 7 inches, with a height of 3 inches (sloping down to 2 at the back). They shouldn't be too difficult to build, or at least simpler than that house. Saying that don't expect to see those finished for months and months. :)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Probably a bit larger than they're supposed to be (I seem to go for 1/48 scale rather than 1/56), but they'll do.

Early days obviously.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Lost to the Zone
« Reply #99 on: July 02, 2015, 03:36:43 AM »
Its late here, but its been too damn hot to sleep (17 degrees man ...seriously anything over 10 here is too hot. That and it hasn't rained in like two days, which well depresses me).

I've been having a go at painting up a few more of the Empress Miniature's models which have been sitting about here for a few months. Mostly their Insurgent ones, though I think I've ran through all of the ones of those that I have, so it'll be back to the other moderns soon enough.

First then here's four Bandits, toting about in the usual balaclavas and head scarves. I guess they can afford a pair of Nike jeans or Soviet era camo and an AK, but not a gas mask. Hey those Vintorez certainly aren't cheap... =P

The leader's one of their British soldiers with a head swap. Obviously carrying the piece of crap L85A1 model service rifle that the Zone's inexplicably full of as opposed to its half decent current iteration (aye I still dislike that rifle personally though).

Besides the Bandits, for a bit of variety here's two other fellers.

The blue guy's obviously part of the Clear Sky faction, though likely will appear with either the Ecologists or Loners due to most of those guys going over to the Monolith at the end of the second game (though saying that I'd probably set these models before those events given how much the Zone changed after the first game. That or I set them after Call of Pripyat and have even weirder stuff crop up. Chinese military anyone?). He's wearing Uruguayan camo btw. The other one's a Military Stalker, or possibly a member of Duty. I say Duty as he's kitted out like a Russian spetsnaz soldier (I can't remember the name of the particular unit), with that characteristic welding mask style helmet with I don't think the Ukrainians use (though in the Stalker world I'd imagine that the Ukrainians had closer ties to Russia than they've had recently). Both of those are Empress modern Russian models with armour and crap added.  

Oh and yeah only one of those AKs originally had a wooden parts. The plain polymer didn't provide enough contrast though so I wound up giving them all wood and Bakelite mags, even if such weapons aren't in common use nowadays. That said the Zone's where the world's mothballed gear goes, and there's tons of old AKs floating about that could turn up there.

I've started painting the set of garages now. Saying that though I need to buy some corrugated card for the roof and make some shelves which I'll glue in when its all painted. Its fairly simplistic in its colour scheme so shouldn't take long to paint, all that's holding me back is being bothered to go out and buy the materials. :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 03:39:02 AM by Wyrmalla »

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2015, 06:12:08 AM »
You're complaining about 17° ?
here in Flanders it's now 35 during the day and 21 at night  o_o

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline MajorTalon

• Scientist
  • Talon Company!
« Reply #101 on: July 02, 2015, 07:20:54 AM »
How I envy thee Wyrmalla. lol

It's usually about 30 over here in North East 'Murica.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #102 on: July 02, 2015, 12:11:56 PM »
Shell I even bring up the daily highs over here in vegas? lol
Ether way it's all relative to what you used too, keep cool every body and drink water.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 12:21:26 PM by commissarmoody »
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #103 on: July 02, 2015, 12:20:07 PM »
You're complaining about 17° ?
here in Flanders it's now 35 during the day and 21 at night  o_o

In Holland it was even 24°C last night; the hottest night here ever :o

''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #104 on: July 02, 2015, 02:23:41 PM »
Had a low (7am) of 32.7°C earlier this year. Am jealous of all of you that get snow in your home towns (sure, I'm happy not to have days of scratching ice of my windscreen, going to work in the dark on potentially iced roads and coming home in the dark).

Some lovely scratch building in this thread.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen