Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:37:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Generic Wargaming Spells  (Read 2106 times)

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Generic Wargaming Spells
« on: December 31, 2014, 01:57:22 PM »
I'm writing some large-scale skirmish/small battle rules to use with my kids (my only opponents at the moment) and I'm stuck on the magic spells.  I want the Wizards to have 5 generic spells to choose from.

Right now I've come up with three that I like:

1.  A magic missile that does D6 hits to an enemy unit.
2.  A spell that give the target friendly unit an extra move in the magic phase
3.  A spell that forces the target enemy unit to pass a Command Check or fall back its full movement.

Any suggestions for two more?  Thanks.

The wizard can only cast one spell per phase and has to roll over the Casting Value on a D6.

Offline m4jumbo

• Scientist
    • Terrain Specialties Forum
Re: Generic Wargaming Spells
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 02:50:08 PM »
Here are a few ideas:

- A spell that provides some protection from damage to the target friendly unit for the following turn.  (Not sure how you are doing damage but this could be extra armor, ignore X number of hits, harder to wound, etc.)

- A spell that allows a friendly unit to automatically pass it's next Command Check.

- A confusion spell that forces a target enemy unit to pass a Command Check or attack the nearest "friendly" unit.  Alternately, this confusion spell could cause the target unit to lose it's turn if it fails the Command Check as it remains in place and argues on what to do. (Although that's a bit similar to your #3 spell.)

- A spell that allows a friendly unit extra attacks for the next turn.  Alternately to balance the extra attacks, the friendly unit could be forced to pass a command check at the end of the spell or suffer X number of hits from exhaustion.

Depending on the age of your kids and how "goofy" you want to go, there are ideas from other games like a giant foot that comes down from the sky and squishes enemy units or summoned swarms of squirrels or rabbits that attack and do X hits to units.
So many games, so little time.
-----------------------------------
http://z15.invisionfree.com/Terrain_Specialties/index.php?act=idx

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 02:51:53 PM »
How about the following:
A spell that heals D3 or D6 (depending on the taget number you chose) of the target friendly unit
A spell moves target enemy unit D6" (or a fixed number if you prefer that)
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 03:16:14 PM »
Thanks for the ideas!  I really like all six of them.  I'm going to use them all and see how it goes.

Combat is relatively simple; Units are either designated Elite, Common/Core, Raw/Untrained.  All miniatures in the unit attack simultaneously (9 miniatures per Infantry models) and based on the Unit designation you hit on a D6 roll.  All hits are rerolled and have to beat the Armor Value of the Unit: ie unarmored 2+, light armor 3+, heavy/plate armor 4+, and if equipped with a shield +1 to the armor. *Note:  I haven't even played a game with these rules, I've been thinking about them for about a month and sat down the other day and wrote out my ideas - I need to play test them.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 10:05:59 PM »
Sounds good, if you need any more spells let me know.  I have a huge list of them I wrote up for an eventual dungeon crawl project.  Some of them could be converted for skirmish tabletop stuff.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 10:12:43 PM »
Sounds good, if you need any more spells let me know.  I have a huge list of them I wrote up for an eventual dungeon crawl project.  Some of them could be converted for skirmish tabletop stuff.

We have 63 spells to choose from in Epic Heroes, our fantasy supplement to Brink of Battle skirmish....You can play at the lowest power level and have it all done for you.  ;)
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 10:40:28 AM »
Use Warmaster spells. They are simple and specific of armies.