Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:56:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686663
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Definitive or Must Have Western Films  (Read 113243 times)

Offline Kilgorelee

• Schoolboy
Re: Definitive or Must Have Western Films
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2022, 08:36:52 PM »
Whilst there's a bunch of western fans all in one place.
Doe's anyone know the name of a Western Horror (I'd have seen it in the late 80's in the Naafi.)
It was in premise similar to the ww1 Death Watch.
A bunch of Chaps travelling through the High Country come across a wagon that appears to have been attacked by a war party.
With only one near catatonic female survivor. As the party tries to leave the valley they're harassed by unseen natives arrows flying from nowhere.
As the movie progress it dawns on the party that the survivor isn't what she seems ultimately ending in a show down with her.As the groups guide realise her true nature.
The film ends with the woman repositioning her self amongst the carnage back around the wagon from the start of the film.
Whilst off in the distance you can just see and hear a new group of travellers approaching the wagon site.
It made quite the impression but I had to go on duty so the name slipped me. It still does.

A quick perusal shows maybe "Eyes of Fire"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyes_of_Fire_(film)
"Why should my people risk open war for you and your considerable style?"

Offline Ampersand Andy

• Student
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2022, 07:27:44 PM »
Tin Shed Gamer's mystery movie is The Curse of Demon Mountain or Demon Mountain or Thunder Mountain or Wishbone Cutter or The Ballad of Virgil Cane or The Shadow of Chikara, all starring Sondra Locke and Joe Don Baker and some very convincing falling horses. Versions cut for TV where you have to insert your own cuss words but they don't cut the falling horses. Oh no, they leave that right in!

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2022, 02:54:21 PM »
Have to say I am very much enjoying the series "1883" that is currently on Paramount.

I think it's the "origin" story for the modern series "Yellowstone" but it is a series in its own right with no direct connection to the latter.

Oh and Sam Elliot is in it - what's not to like!

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2022, 09:26:03 AM »
I'm about to watch the last episode in a minute. In my 'umble opinon, it's every bit as good as the first series of 'Lonesome Dove'.

:)
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2022, 06:48:23 PM »
I remember seeing ads for '1883', but I ignored it after seeing Paramount+ pop up, etc.  I don't do many (occasionally zero!) streaming services, so all of these shows behind various paywalls aren't on my "to do" list, unfortunately.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2022, 09:07:31 PM »
Open Range is GREAT, everything is good but the final gunfight is better than almost anything I've seen. But if I had to say what was stand it would be Robert Duvall and Michael Gambon.

Wyatt Earp is too, longer but better than Tomestone (?).

You should also watch Deadwood (and the first two seasons of Hell on Wheels).

And of course: Warrior, it was "written" by Bruce Lee and whild be back for a third season.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 09:12:47 PM by thebinmann »

Offline terrement

• Librarian
« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2023, 06:51:45 PM »
Maybe not Definitive or Must Have flicks, but perhaps worth a look

The Sacketts - Miniseries on TV that nicely weaves together several story threads regarding each of the several main characters.  Sam Elliot, Tom Selleck, Glen Ford, Jeff Osterhage, Ben Johnson, Jack Elam, Slim Pickens and more.  Really liked the gunfight between Carney and Tyrell Sackett at the end of the trail drive.

Hang 'Em High - another Clint Eastwood tale of revenge wearing a badge

Joe Kidd - another Eastwood western

There was a crooked man - Fonda and Kirk Douglas squaring off

Evil Roy Slade - just for laughs.  Takes a number of cliches and weaves them together (sort of) to make fun of westerns.  John Astin as Roy, Dick Shawn as singing cowboy detective Bing Bell (is somebody at the door?) Mickey Rooney, and Pamela Austin as the love interest that is going to turn Roy straight.

The Missouri Breaks and One Eyed Jacks - both featuring Marlon Brando in somewhat over the top performances and Jack Nicholson in Missouri Breaks in a role where he isn't playing Jack Nicholson.

Destry Rides Again - Jimmy Stewart and Destry - Audie Murphy.  Both well done stories about a new lawman who doesn't carry a gun coming to a crooked town and the inevitable final battle.  Saloon singer with the heart of gold in both of them.
Audie Murphy was in a load of westerns.  No "Tombstone" level flicks but most are worth watching.

Also web search westerns with "usual suspects" like Lee Van Cleef, Yul Brynner, Charles Bronson, Ben Johnson, Kirk Douglas, Anthony Quinn, plus there are all of the silent stars like Tom Mix, Hoot Gibson, etc.