Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:56:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: So... DBA, DBM or DBMM? Or FoG or HC???  (Read 6858 times)

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
Re: So... DBA, DBM or DBMM? Or FoG or HC???
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2015, 04:06:56 PM »
Did get a renewed interest in Impetus when I saw this http://leadhatter.blog.com/2012/03/04/a-horse-a-horse-my-kingdom-for-a-horse/ chap does a Medieval Perry army in 10 days. A 10 day army challenge and trying a new rule set sounds to me like a good challenge.

Impetus looks very interesting, with the basic rules being free, it'll be nice to at least get the flavor of the game!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 11:34:26 PM »
Impetus both basic and advanced. Each gives a different game with similiar mechanics with some differences of course, but both very fun.

Basic Impetus- Fast way to build up armies and gives nice quick clean games. Free rules and well supported.

Advanced Impetus- More options added to give more tactical situations and choices plus refines armies as well as increasing the size of them. Also very well supported and just recently received some new admendments which will further improve the game.

Both games very flexible in figure requirements and with large bases can give visually spactacular looking armies. Gives tactical choices without becoming a chessmatch as it does reward good play, but does not gureentee you the auto win so keeps you in the game regardless if your winning or losing at the time.

Christopher

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 01:21:36 AM »
All of them you mention have positive and negative points IMO. Some more than others, and it's what people around you like to play and your/their play style and wants from a system as well.

For small, 1 hour games which are great fun DBA works really well. It's a different style of game than the others though. S&S is IMO a great game as well and you can't beat the price and author support for it. HC works as well but give a very different feel of game - really pretty pictures of the Perry mini's in all their glory as well. Those are the top 3 by far IMO.

DBM, DBMM an FOG can be fun but are rules and figure heavier and tend to be slower games. They work well for competitive play.

Of all those mentioned Impetus leaves me cold though. Just does not do it for me, even though some people in the local group like it. I've played few games. It's the only Ancients period game that I now pass on playing - I'll play any of the others. Make sure you like the free basic before dropping cash on the advanced stuff is my only advice on that one.

My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 12:07:38 PM »
Impetus did nothing for me, either. We've been very impressed with Sword & Spear.
FoG is quite good but can bog down badly when you get misaligned units.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 01:43:33 AM »
I found Impetus in pdf for $14.00, so I picked up that and Sword and Spear, with Hail Cesar as a gift, I'm in good shape rules wise now :D.  I still plan to base a la DBX in order to take advantage of a variety of games.

Cheers mates! 

Also, minis wise, I'm doing a Celt/Germans/Britons force(s) and Early Imperial Romans.  I got really lucky and managed to scoop up almost all of the Corvus Aux and legionaries I could find.  In fact, more than enough to play quite a large game.  I also have some Xylston celts, which will make great Germans to start with as sadly the Corvus minis are being sent to the States and I wont get them until the summer... :(