Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:49:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: On the Terrors from Beyond  (Read 2218 times)

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
On the Terrors from Beyond
« on: September 12, 2008, 03:11:22 PM »

Predatory in the extreme, terrors - also known as astral parasites - constantly prey on each other in their own realm and are present in loathsome profusion in the beyond. 

The terrors exist a dimesion beyond normal human perception which overlays normal reality.  Normally the terrors from beyond and the creatures of Earth remain unaware of each other and outside the comprehision of mortal minds.  Specific triggers, mechanical or psychic, sometimes allow humans to become aware of the terrors which are normally invisable to man.  Unfortuately, when conditions exist that allow humans to sense the terrors, the terrors also become aware of of their unfortunate human observers, often attacking them savagely.

Psychics can sometimes sense and view these entities as can users of the Poweder of Ibn-Ghazi.  Mechanical devices such as Ultraviolet Projectors or Harmonic Resonator have also breached openings between the Beyond and our own realm.

When visable, the terrors appear as varied flying translusent jelly life forms similar to nightmarish jellyfish and bizare displays of semi aquatic looking fanged lifeforms and insects.  Often dozens such life forms exist quivering and moving with maligns purpose hunting one another in a space of a few meters.  These terrors are attracted to movement.  A still observer might watch them harmlessly for a period of time before they notice their presence.

Creatures consumed by terrors are lost to the realm of earth.

Most terrors have little or no real intelligence.  There are however, greater more intelligent creatures in the Beyond who consume and absorb the intelligence of their victims and can assume whatever shape they choose.  These masters of the beyond are often drawn to areas where they sense a disturbance between worlds.  And can arrive within minutes if a mechanical gateway is created to feed on intelligent life.

No known means has been known or devised to create a permanant means for the terrors to remain and or interact with the physical world.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/From_Beyond   
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 03:46:21 PM by gauntman »
"Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small  boy....I keep it in a jar on my desk."
                ----- Robert Bloch------

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
Re: On the Terrors from Beyond
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 03:20:22 PM »
As much as it will hurt my mythoscred I love the movie.

"Can you feel it?...it's in the mind! Crawford. The mind!" :o

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 03:25:30 PM »
Yep, you can't go wrong with "From Beyond" the movie.  I have collected about every Lovecraft themed related movie, TV epsode, and whatever and this is definately in my top 5.

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 03:44:06 PM »
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105242/

The Ressurected

This is also a very very good movie if you have Blockbuster or Netflix based on The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward.  Starring Chris Sarandon from the classic Vampire movie "Fright Night" as the evil Joseph Curwen.

If you haven't seen it and you have even the slight love of Lovecraft it is great.