Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:31:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Starting up a new ATZ FFO campaign, set in the UK!!!  (Read 3849 times)

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
Starting up a new ATZ FFO campaign, set in the UK!!!
« on: January 08, 2015, 03:20:44 AM »
Reading some of the posts on the forum I've gotten a newfound urge to do an ATZ FFO campaign too!!!  :D I have decided to locate it in Bedford, UK. For that purpose I have invested in three brand new minis whoopwhoop  lol:

http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=clint~hfa127&category=miniatures~modern-adventurers
http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=kirsten~hfa139&category=miniatures~modern-adventurers
http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=katie~hfa010&category=miniatures~modern-adventurers

I am currently waiting on getting my deposit and money from the gas company back and then I shall invest in some MDF buildings from Sarissa Precision

http://www.sarissa-precision.com/CityBlock/cat1603369_2415552.aspx

The basic story is going to be concentrated on Obie, an ex-pat Swede and his 5-year old daughter trying to survive in a world gone to pot!
"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline pinstrpepete

• Bookworm
Re: Starting up a new ATZ FFO campaign, set in the UK!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 12:56:25 PM »
Look forward to reading it mate, always enjoy these.

I would also like to know how you feel about the rules, I have a copy myself but never actually got down to using them...

Offline chrisw

• Librarian
    • project Z
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 05:38:05 PM »
really looking forward to it starting.  nice choice of figures for the main cast and the buildings will look great!

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 08:16:25 PM »
Look forward to reading it mate, always enjoy these.

I would also like to know how you feel about the rules, I have a copy myself but never actually got down to using them...

I have played the previous edition of ATZ and Six Gun Sound (western) rules quite extensively in the past, I really, really like these rules for solo play. They may take a game or two to get your head around, but I always come back to the Reaction System.

It would be my pleasure to do the write-ups as soon as I have my stuff ready to go, hopefully within the next couple of weeks, mid February.

Chrisw: I do have a handful of Hasslefrees already (The not-Scooby gang, Kendra and a few others) and they are really nice minis, decently priced and with very personal service.

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 10:52:05 PM »
really looking forward to it starting.  nice choice of figures for the main cast and the buildings will look great!

What Chris said!

And I agree, Hasslefree is top notch in all things.

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 11:32:41 PM »
What Chris said!

And I agree, Hasslefree is top notch in all things.

They have some of the best survivor minis around IMHO!!!

Also, as this is the UK I'm going to implement a special rule, namely LFP (Likelihood of Firearm Possession). For the first 10 days, roll a D6 and ONLY on the indicated target number will they be armed with the firearm from the list, otherwise melee weapon as see fit, if at all. For each started 10 days thereafter in the campaign, LOWER the TN by 1 (ie. 5+ becomes 4+).

Civilian- 6
Police- 4+
Ganger- 5+
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 10:17:16 AM by Legionnaire »

Offline pinstrpepete

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 09:13:28 AM »
They may take a game or two to get your head around, but I always come back to the Reaction System.

I suppose the reaction system is what has actually put me off, it sounds like a brilliant idea in theory but I was concerned that in practice you end up spending most of your time rolling dice? Reading through these bat reps though i'm beginning to think i've been missing out.

The LFP idea is good, i'll be stealing that for a UK campaign myself!

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 10:12:11 AM »
I suppose the reaction system is what has actually put me off, it sounds like a brilliant idea in theory but I was concerned that in practice you end up spending most of your time rolling dice? Reading through these bat reps though i'm beginning to think i've been missing out.

The LFP idea is good, i'll be stealing that for a UK campaign myself!

What I do like about the Reaction System is that, normally you DECIDE what you want your forces to do and they'll do it to the best of their capabilities. However, with the Reaction System YOU might like your guy to blast the enemy to smithereens, but your guy get's cold feet and freezes up/ decides to take cover and live to see another day instead. That's the beauty of it I think, the uncertainty that sometimes it doesn't go according to plan.

Yes, there certainly is a lot of dice rolling, but only a couple of D6 at a time, usually only 2. Not the "fistful of dice" from "other" games (I shall roll 26 dice, looking for 4+...)

Steal away mate, be my guest!!!!  lol

Furthermore, I'll implement a simple Experience system. Morale can ONLY be increased in the way REP is, but the other attributes can be increased by spending the same amount of Experience as the level they are at. To increase Drive 3 to 4 you need to spend 3 Experience.

In most cases I'll reward 1 Experience per scenario played, but in rare circumstances I might increase it to 2. Also, if your Skill is 2 and you succeed at a challenge (Shooting and neutralizing an enemy, picking the lock, jumping across an alley...) you get a FREE increase to 3 at the end of scenario, providing you're still alive  ;).

And an extra rule I've used in the past. If the active figure doesn't move and has suitable cover (wall, corner of a building, bonnet of a vehicle) and uses a firearm, they may increase their Shoot value by +1 for that action, due to being able to aim properly.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 10:25:04 AM by Legionnaire »

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 07:57:32 PM »
I think I have it now!!! Settled on three additional rules for the setting, and here they are:

LFP (Likelihood of Firearms Possession): Not everyone in the UK has access to/ owns a firearm, far from it. The UK is a country with one of the toughest gun laws there are. When encountering anything but MILITARY (obviously armed...), roll a d6. If success, the individual is armed with firearm as per table, if not they are unarmed or with melee weapon as you see fit. Each 10 days past the first 10, decrease TN by 1 (Ie. 5+ becomes 4+) as people are tooling up. After day 31 the TN is 2 lower and will stay that way.

Civilians: 6
Gangers: 5+
Survivors: 5+
Police: 4+ (Armed with BAP 1-4 or SMG 5-6)

Gunhandling: As the average Brit has very little practical knowledge about guns, bar from movies, the FIRST time they try to use a firearm, regardless of what it is, roll 2D vs Shoot.

Pass 2D- They may fire as normal
Pass 1D- They forgot to cock it/ safety on etc. so the gun is not fired at all. Will work normally next turn, no more test necessary.
Pass 0D- The character can't figure out what's wrong, why isn't it firing? Have to take test again next turn.

Experience: Morale can ONLY be increased in the same manner as REP, but the other Skills can be raised with Experience Points. Normally 1 XP is awarded for a successful scenario, 2 for a difficult one. It'll cost the same amount in XP to raise a Skill as the Skill before raising it. To raise Drive 3 to 4 will cost 3 XP.

Furthermore, if a character has a Skill of 2 and successfully use it (defeating an enemy by shooting/ punching it, picking a lock, jumping across an alley) they will automatically gain 3 in that particular skill at the end of the scenario, providing they survive of course.