Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:23:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691135
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Who would best defeat the Ming?  (Read 6785 times)

Offline shredder

• Scientist
    • Forlorn Hope Games
Who would best defeat the Ming?
« on: January 12, 2015, 04:18:30 PM »
Following the success of the Samurai Dwarves kickstarter, I am looking to run another project. This one will be to add another Far Eastern Army to stand against our Ming Chinese range.

I will also be a running a Kickstarter for this project. The reason for holding off on Ki-Rin riding Dwarf loons or Goblins is that Bob Olley has some work to do first ;-) So I will be calling on the services of Bob Naismith for this one.

The first question I’d like to ask you guys is, which army would you like to see?

My thought is either Burmese or Tibetan. I plan to have another 5 or 6 armies in the range over time but need to start somewhere.

Thanks guys

Gary
Suppliers of Wargaming "Stuff"
www.forlornhopegames.co.uk

Offline mysteriousbill

• Mad Scientist
Re: Who would best defeat the Ming?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 05:19:53 PM »
I'd go with the Burmese, if you add some campaign rules to reflect the losses the Ming historically took from climate and disease.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 06:09:35 AM »
Flash Gordon obviously.

Offline olyreed

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 07:39:49 AM »
Burmese would be nice, then maybe you could branch into Thai Burmese elephant wars. Or just watch Bangrajan or suryothai

Offline Ming

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 08:19:57 AM »
No one defeats The Ming!

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
  • Les Echelles du Levant ...
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 09:30:22 AM »
Hi ! I think you could better add a lot of references to your Ming range , because a handfull blisters is a little small for a "Ming range" , no !?  ;)

(And Perry have a large range of Japanese (66 refs) & Koreans (26 refs) for the Imjin wars)

A large Ming range with a real variety of poses could match with the Perry's range and will be a very good idea !
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 09:40:13 AM by Byblos »

Offline shredder

• Scientist
    • Forlorn Hope Games
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 10:42:59 AM »
Hi ! I think you could better add a lot of references to your Ming range , because a handfull blisters is a little small for a "Ming range" , no !?  ;)

(And Perry have a large range of Japanese (66 refs) & Koreans (26 refs) for the Imjin wars)

A large Ming range with a real variety of poses could match with the Perry's range and will be a very good idea !

We've got a little over 50 figures in the Ming range (a handful still to release fully), but yes, I'd like to have more although my first plan is to have a similar sized offering for several different armies, then continue expanding each of these.

Thanks though

Gary

Offline 88D

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 12:19:57 AM »
manchus or historically li zicheng and his incredibly short lived shun dynasty  ;)

Offline Madmick

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 08:48:59 AM »
Curteys Miniatures do a Burmese/Thai range.
www.curteysminiatures.co.uk

Offline olyreed

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 09:59:50 AM »
and a very nice range they do. I would have liked to see a few more sculpts, the figures look more Burmese in style,
I have always wanted to wargame Bangrajan but no one does a figure riding a water buffalo!

Offline Madmick

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 10:05:29 AM »
We will be releasing levy cavalry soon. :)

Offline Bowman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 03:02:20 PM »
We've got a little over 50 figures in the Ming range (a handful still to release fully), but yes, I'd like to have more although my first plan is to have a similar sized offering for several different armies, then continue expanding each of these.

Thanks though

Gary

Gary, with all due respect, I'm in agreement with Byblos. Your offerings do not make a real "line". Instead of looking for a new line to fight against your Ming, how about finishing them first, so we can fight them with our Samurai and Koreans? To say nothing of the Mongols, Tibetans, Vietnamese, Portuguese, Dutch, etc.

May I suggest:

Ming Characters, mounted and dismounted
Advancing heavy spearmen
Ming hand gunners
Mounted Ming with swords and/or lances
Mounted Ming command
Ming banners
Tang weapon for existing spearmen
Ming crossbowmen
Ming artillery

I believe a full line of Ming in 28mm will sell better than most of the other suggestions offered in this thread. The Ming were fighting on almost every front of China and that makes them very versatile to anyone interested in this this era of Eastern military history.

The problem with your plan as quoted is that building a few "half line" armies will actually discourage people from investing in your figures. Why would I invest in Koreans and Ming for the Imjin Wars when I'm not sure if or when the Ming will be completed? By completing a full Ming line in 28mm you will be the only one occupying this niche, just as the Perry's with their Koreans.

My two cents.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 03:28:14 PM by Bowman »
"This I have known ever since I stretched out my fingers to the abomination within that great gilded frame; stretched out my fingers and touched a cold and unyielding surface of polished glass." 

H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Offline 88D

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 04:14:30 PM »
Gary, with all due respect, I'm in agreement with Byblos. Your offerings do not make a real "line". Instead of looking for a new line to fight against your Ming, how about finishing them first, so we can fight them with our Samurai and Koreans? To say nothing of the Mongols, Tibetans, Vietnamese, Portuguese, Dutch, etc.

May I suggest:

Ming Characters, mounted and dismounted
Advancing heavy spearmen
Ming hand gunners
Mounted Ming with swords and/or lances
Mounted Ming command
Ming banners
Tang weapon for existing spearmen
Ming crossbowmen
Ming artillery

I believe a full line of Ming in 28mm will sell better than most of the other suggestions offered in this thread. The Ming were fighting on almost every front of China and that makes them very versatile to anyone interested in this this era of Eastern military history.

The problem with your plan as quoted is that building a few "half line" armies will actually discourage people from investing in your figures. Why would I invest in Koreans and Ming for the Imjin Wars when I'm not sure if or when the Ming will be completed? By completing a full Ming line in 28mm you will be the only one occupying this niche, just as the Perry's with their Koreans.

My two cents.

Agreed, Its better to have a completed single range than multiple half done ones.
Also If you have some with some more accurate late ming armours then you could use them to represent the various looks and periods of the ming and the internal rebel forces they mainly fought against.

Offline shredder

• Scientist
    • Forlorn Hope Games
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 04:19:42 PM »
Comments being taken on board guys. Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Gary

Offline Bowman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 12:57:46 PM »
88D, those are beautiful pictures!