Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:23:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690800
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vladimir's Miscellaneous Fantasy Thread  (Read 55250 times)

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
Re: Vladimir's Miscellaneous Fantasy Thread
« Reply #120 on: May 28, 2022, 11:25:58 AM »
Love the animation on your spider and all the lizardmen.

Cheers! Most of the credit probably goes to the sculptors for animation, I just put paint on 'em.

And speaking of putting paint on things...

Here are three mighty castigators. In their former lives, there regularly hunted the beasts that lurked near their lands.

When beastmen invaded their lands, these nobles ran daring hit and run attacks on the invaders to ensure the safety of their people.

Of course, there's only so much three people can do against the endless rabble, so eventually they were brought low after days of fighting.

Much to Nagash's chagrin (as most things are) the three nobles were raised again into Sigmar's army. They might not enjoy all the work they must do, but they all believe it'll be worth it some day.

The models are GW's castigators. I managed to snag issue 3 of the Mortal Realms magazine for my birthday. Four models, a pot of paint and some reading materials for 20 bucks? Don't mind if I do...let someone get it for me.

But where's the gryph-hound, I hear you ask? Not to worry, it's on the way...

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #121 on: June 03, 2022, 10:53:15 AM »

And here he is!

Zephyr was found alone, starving and seemingly the only surviving member of a failed Dawnbringer Crusade.

No matter what, Zephyr kept patrolling the point where the new settlement was meant to be built, ferociously keeping everyone away until he was eventually found and fed by three certain castigators.

Now fully fed and healthy, Zephyr works as hard as he can to ensure that what happens to that crusade never happens again...most of that work involves standing on things and yelling.

The model is GW's gryph hound, which comes with the castigators. It was honestly pretty nice to paint, despite a few hiccups along the way.

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #122 on: June 03, 2022, 01:26:44 PM »
It looks great!

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #123 on: June 14, 2022, 08:06:03 AM »
It looks great!

Cheers! Always nice to read some nice words.

Now for the today's project...

This is a statue, clearly.

Whoever place it is probably long gone, so nature has begun to reclaim it.

They say it's good luck to find a statue like this when you're lost, but some people hear ghostly laughter if they linger too long near it, so I wouldn't set up camp if you can help it.

The model, if it can be called that, is a jizo statue that I pulled out of a capsule machine near work. I figured with a little sandpaper, a hobby knife and some green stuff, I could make it look more aged. Most of the sandpaper scratching was covered up with paint, but the carving looks a bit less sharp now and that helps imo. Makes for a nice bit of scatter terrain, imo.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #124 on: June 15, 2022, 03:53:18 PM »
Great idea!

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2022, 07:04:23 PM »
Lovely figures and painting, that statue is a cracker.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #126 on: June 27, 2022, 07:45:18 AM »
Great idea!

Cheers! Always helps to keep an eye out for stuff like that when you're out an about.

Lovely figures and painting, that statue is a cracker.

Cheers! I'm not the best painter here by a ways, but I try to do better than I was yesterday and that's good enough for me.

Speaking of painting...

Looks like a new skelly's joined the ranks of the undead.

That's quite an old banner, I wonder what nation it represents?

Looks like either the skelly got into a few dust-ups, or the armour's previous owner did.

At least the shield's held up fairly well...except those parts...and that part.

The mini's one of GW's grave guard. The miniature of the month was supposed to be a 40k chaos cultist (I was going to call mine Jim from Accounting) but my local store was all out and the next nearest one seemed to have vanished off the face of the earth. As compensation, I was allowed to grab a leftover mini from a previous month and since one can never have too many skeletons, I grabbed this fella. As for the banner, I went for old Sylvania.

Is my attempt completely accurate? No.

Does it look like someone who's never actually seen a dragon and is also a skeleton painted it? Yes.

I may have been influenced by those old medieval paintings of animals that don't exactly look the way they're supposed to when I painted it, which resulted in this. I'm pretty chuffed with how it turned out tbh.

With that, I have achieved what some might think is impossible: my pile of opportunity is completely empty. There's a bring and buy event next weekend near my house, so I probably won't be gone for long...

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #127 on: August 01, 2022, 08:49:22 AM »
So...turns out having two jobs decreases how much time you have to paint, but I still managed a bit!

This is Vargach. When he hatched, he was the smallest of his clutch, but was the best in the field of annoyingness.

Wishing to be more than just 'the small one,' Vargach took on any beast that dared attack him.

After years of blood, sweat and more blood, Vargach managed to best at least one of every creature that lived near his home swamp.

[/url]

Now, Vargach travels the world in search of bigger and better challenges to fight, win and maybe eat as well.

The model is an old Warhammer temple guard champion. I found him at moab. Usually, I'll make a circuit of the bring and buy before picking anything up, but the second I saw this guy, I said, 'oh, you're coming home with me!' The wave of nostalgia from opening the blister pack alone was worth the ten bucks and getting to paint one of these myself was delightful...although I did need to use a smattering of green stuff to keep the arm on while the superglue dried. Pretty sure I didn't have that problem back when metal models were common, or maybe I was just more patient back then.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #128 on: September 02, 2022, 12:54:56 PM »
So, turns out working two jobs really cuts into the hobby time. Anyway, photo time!

These are Sotek's Seekers.

Relatively young compared to other seraphon under Hua'xa's command, they are only sent out on scouting missions. Observe and report, that's their role.

Of course, interference is allowed if the situation calls for it...

To avoid creating unnecessary noise while out in the field, they use shining accessories to flash light signals to each other. If you see them, it's probably too late.

The models are some standard skinks that I greenstuffed to heck and back to turn them into chameleon skinks. I added some lava bases, which I did up all jungly for the unit. Overall, a fun little project.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #129 on: September 13, 2022, 02:21:44 AM »

Looks like there's trouble - Kai'Tehe has emerged!

A priest of no small skill, there is very little that Kai'Tehe can't fix.

Of course if he can't fix it, odds are he knows someone who can.

Does he know there's a snake on his staff? Probably not.

The model is a standard seraphon skink with a few extra bits to make him more magical, like the staff topper from the empire wizard kit, a considerable amount of green stuff and some feathers from the saurus warriors standard bearer. Not too shabby for a bunch of spare parts, if I do say so myself!

This'll be my last project for a hot minute. I might have the money for hobby time, but I don't have the time to buy new things right now...but I'll be back at it soon!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #130 on: September 13, 2022, 07:14:34 AM »
Great conversion! That staff works really well - a touch of Old Slann technology?

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #131 on: October 29, 2022, 11:46:03 PM »
Great conversion! That staff works really well - a touch of Old Slann technology?

That's exactly what I was going for! When I saw how well it sat on top of a javelin, there wasn't a reason not to, tbh.

Now for my most recent finished job - Ylthari's Guardians from Warhammer Underworlds.

I saw this lot at a bring and buy recently and I figured, 'why not?'

I wasn't sure what colour scheme to go with, so I decided on an early Autumn theme. Turns out moss is still green in Autumn.

The photos aren't the best, but they're about the best I can do at the moment. Sorry about that. The branches and leaves were a bit fiddly to paint, but I reckon they turned out okay.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #132 on: December 10, 2022, 01:08:46 AM »
I'm back with something that isn't specifically fantasy, but could be used in a fantasy game!

It's kangaroos. Kangaroos are what I'm back with.

I'm not sure, but I think the one on the right COULD be a boy...

Just a good time for hanging around, is what it is.

These roos were made by eureka miniatures. I discarded basically all my restraint at moab this year (sue me, it's been like two years and my pile of opportunity ran out two weeks before the day I bought these; I had the shakes!) so there wasn't any chance that I was going home without these. It was a fun little project to do these two up and now I'm sorted for...whatever it is kangaroos could be used to represent.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #133 on: December 19, 2022, 05:44:08 AM »

Oops, I uploaded again.

No major backstory on this one; it's a contest piece.

Will I win? With 23 other entrants, it's unlikely, but I felt confident enough to enter.

The model is a Wizkids clockwork dragon. Apparently it's supposed to come with a base, but the game store got them on the cheap, which is guess is why there's no bases. A few bits were fiddly to reach with a brush, but I reckon it came out pretty nice.

I got some 'don't talk to me or my son' vibes from this shot...maybe I should find an even smaller clockwork dragon and keep the chain going!

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #134 on: December 30, 2022, 04:00:36 AM »

This is Tobias Abbey, yet another one of my D&D characters...I did play this one once, I swear!

After being found at the front of a monastery dedicated to Chauntea in his dead mother's arms, the young half-orc was kept (after some discussion).

Acceptance came slowly, but eventually Tobias became loved not only by his adoptive family, but by the villagers who lived nearby...especially after the incident a few springs back when Mr. Jameson's prize bull got loose.

After rescuing an injured man on the road with a surprising burst of divine light, Tobias learned that his father, a bandit named Arkhan the Black, was still alive! While nobody was sure if Arkhan was still in the banditry business, Tobias still set out to meet him and if necessary? He'd bring his old man to justice.

Unfortunately, he didn't realize how many humans there were in the world! This is gonna take some time...

The mini is Reaper's Erick, Paladin Initiate. I challenged myself to get something noblebright from moab this year and what's more noble and bright than a starry-eyed paladin? Being a reaper model, it came with the usual hiccups and challenges that that implies, but I reckon it came out alright. Most of the problems aren't even visible when he's on the tabletop.