Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:43:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Vladimir's Miscellaneous Fantasy Thread  (Read 55315 times)

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
Re: Vladimir's Miscellaneous Fantasy Thread
« Reply #150 on: September 14, 2023, 05:29:13 AM »

Looks like we've got another saurus lurking in the jungle...

Judging by the club, it looks like he means business!

The tail is just as dangerous as his weapons, so they say.

Those spike decorations sure look like they mean business!

Even his shield isn't immune to violence.

The model is a warhammer saurus warrior. It was the mini of the month a little while ago. Overall, I liked painting this one. The ropes were a bit of a hassle to deal with, but overall? Good fun.

One more thing...

Scale creep? What's that?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 06:18:42 AM by Vladimir Raukov »

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #151 on: September 22, 2023, 05:07:33 AM »

This is Lord Hieronymous.

As the second born son of a powerful ruler, Hieronymous studied the arcane arts, while his older, sickly brother was set to inherit the throne.

Now and again, he would receive whispers from without and within his own family to bump his brother off. It wouldn't have been much of a surprise if he just keeled over, after all. He could have everything. He refused, which consigned him to a life of preventing assassination attempts.

When Hieronymous finally had to lay down his life in defense of his brother and a group of civilians, he was reforged as a stormcast eternal. Not much has changed upon gaining a new life, but he does have a little more time to study the arcane.

The model is a Lord Incantor. I thought I'd missed out on buying this bad boy, but I found a copy of the magazine he came with at a place near work. It was the last one, so I took my shot. Not a bad little model to pick up and considerably cheaper than buying the $85 game it's now packaged with.

I seem to have a decent number of stormcast now. Can't say I saw this coming, but that does seem to be the way things are.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #152 on: October 03, 2023, 07:54:30 AM »
Well, I finally went and done it. I got to the bottom of my pile of opportunity.

This is The Big Fella, a dire troll.

Sometimes when a troll needs to regenerate, something goes wrong.

What exactly the 'something' was in The Big Fella's case, is up for some debate.

Now, he roams about taking out cows or silly adventurers who dare to cross his path.

Having so many heads hasn't changed his opinions on hygiene.

He's a lot harder to sneak up on earlier, that's for sure.

Theoretically, the majority of The Big Fella's brain is in this head, but who can say for sure?

The model is the dire troll from Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures. It was my third prize place for a local painting contest. Sure, the tuft mohawk isn't perfectly centered and there's probably parts that could be better, but it came out great in my opinion.

I should probably confess something about my first sentence. While The Big Fella was at the bottom of my pile of opportunity, moab was last weekend, so now I have another pile of opportunity to paint when I can. I'm pretty stoked about what I got this year.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #153 on: October 03, 2023, 10:39:43 AM »
Hey, there he is! What a strapping angry lad. I think the crazy grass tuft hair Mohawk came out really well. Very fitting.

I do not want to meet him in a back alley or around a corner, day or night. Too many arms and heads for my liking. :D

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #154 on: October 11, 2023, 06:44:14 AM »
Hey, there he is! What a strapping angry lad. I think the crazy grass tuft hair Mohawk came out really well. Very fitting.

I do not want to meet him in a back alley or around a corner, day or night. Too many arms and heads for my liking. :D

You don't meet him in the alleyway, he IS the alleyway!  lol

On a slightly less spooky note, meet Catarin and Murr.

Catarin's main claim to fame is handing a ceremonial blade to the king of their region during his coronation.

Some would argue that it is no basis for a system of government, but it works well enough.

As for Murr? Well, Murr is Murr. He just hangs around, floating about and eating small fish.

The model is GW's Isharann Tidecaster. Picked it up from Moab for relatively cheap with all the bits glued and ready to go. It's a nice little model to paint up, although a few bits behind the cape were a bit fiddly to paint.

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #155 on: October 14, 2023, 11:25:39 AM »
Cracking work Pete, it's honestly amazing to consider where wargaming has come from, with simple 2 sided moulds making flat Napoleonics to this! The depth of Murr the fish is just mind blowing. It's designed to be shown on a turn table isn't it!

Looks fab, and swords given out by watery wretches is a perfectly fine way to set governments. None of my bretonnian peasants have ever complained about it.  ;D

Matt

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #156 on: October 27, 2023, 07:17:22 AM »
Cracking work Pete, it's honestly amazing to consider where wargaming has come from, with simple 2 sided moulds making flat Napoleonics to this! The depth of Murr the fish is just mind blowing. It's designed to be shown on a turn table isn't it!

Looks fab, and swords given out by watery wretches is a perfectly fine way to set governments. None of my bretonnian peasants have ever complained about it.  ;D

Matt

Yeah, strange moistened women distributing swords IS a valid system of government!

And speaking of mind-blowing fishies...

This is Zirrus and his fishy friend, Argo.

Zirrus is skilled at snagging souls, thanks to Argo chasing the right prey to him at the right time.

Of course, if the prey didn't insist on fighting back, things would be much easier.

Dun dun...dun duuun...

The model is GW's Isharann soulrender. I still can't believe that Argo just...floats there. It's ridiculous! The model itself came out pretty nice, too.

Offline Seditiosus

• Bookworm
« Reply #157 on: October 27, 2023, 08:11:56 AM »
great work. astonishing to me, that this fishing is not breaking off when painting it. what is your inside, is the plastic sturdy enough or is there some real danger involved when playing?

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #158 on: November 08, 2023, 06:12:33 AM »
great work. astonishing to me, that this fishing is not breaking off when painting it. what is your inside, is the plastic sturdy enough or is there some real danger involved when playing?

Honestly, it's just being held on by the hair thing! Since it was assembled when I bought it, I wouldn't have a clue how it's hanging there. It's fairly sturdy, but enough pressure would probably break it off if you tried, but it's fine for gaming.

Now for something that broke A LOT while painting...

Nobody's sure where Ol' Bonsey came from...

Cross him and you'll see that both his swords are perfectly sharp, though.

Curiously, he never seems to wonder far from a specific area of the desert, so what could be there?

Still, as long as he's left alone, travel though the dunes is fairly safe.

Bonsey is a GW bone giant, which I always thought was bigger than this is. His hat (which I included because everyone deserves a nice hat) is (I believe) from the lizardmen temple guard? I was originally looking for some detritus for the ground, but when I saw how it sat on his head, the decision was made.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #159 on: December 07, 2023, 05:22:18 AM »

All hail Lor'Shana, King of the Undertow!

Though he was but a child when he was given the sword of rulership, Lor'Shana has proven himself a decent enough general and a capable combatant.

Of course, having a big ol' murderfish to ride around on likely helps with the latter.

Majestic, simply majestic.

The model is GW's Akhelian King. I might have enjoyed painting this bad boy more if it wasn't all assembled previously, but that's the risk you take with preowned minis (can you really call this a mini? It's pretty big). Still, temporarily removing the cape made things a smidge easier. Overall, a pretty fun paint job, even if it took what felt like forever.

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #160 on: December 11, 2023, 08:25:10 AM »
That is an absolute beast of a figure

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #161 on: January 09, 2024, 01:09:54 AM »
That is an absolute beast of a figure

I know, right? A fantastic figure, no question. I'm still surprised at how much I liked painting it.

And speaking of surprisingly enjoyable things...

Just a bunch of GW Namarti Thralls I picked up at moab.

I painted these ones up specifically to try and resell them this year. Will I succeed? Probably.

Then again, they do look pretty nice, even with my hamfisted waves on the bases.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #162 on: February 04, 2024, 04:26:55 AM »

Another lizardman done - Kroq-gar and Grimloq!

I can't say this model was high on my buy list when it first came out, but when you can get it for 17 bucks second hand? You get it.

Despite the usual failcast dramas, it's a lovely piece.

Between you and me, contrast paint did a lot of heavy lifting on this one.

Ah, second-hand finecast. I have no idea what the previous owner of this poor thing was planning, but rainbow blu-tac (or whatever it was I spent an inordinate amount of time scooping out of the tail join) is not a substitute for the connecting plug that must have been removed. The left leg ended up being too high, but that's nothing a bit of green stuff roughly shaped like a rock can't handle.

Overall? Pretty neat model and I'm glad I got a chance to paint it, even if some parts seemed to refuse to get painted.

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #163 on: February 04, 2024, 09:49:05 AM »
Bar ... gain!

Looks good pete, big red Dino is always a winner I guess.
I think the scales came out looking great.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #164 on: February 21, 2024, 06:12:05 AM »
Bar ... gain!

Looks good pete, big red Dino is always a winner I guess.
I think the scales came out looking great.

Can't go wrong with a dinosaur riding a dinosaur shooting lasers!

Of course, not everyone's fantasical in a fantasy world. This is Todd.

As a town guard, Todd saw many of his friends go off and become adventurers.

The lucky ones returned in about a year's time.

While it's not glamorous, Todd takes pride in his job. Some say his sword is enchanted, but Todd's never seen any proof of that. He's just good at stabbing as far as he's concerned.

The model here is one of GW's Cities of Sigmar steelhelms. It was miniature of the month a little while back, so I picked him up. It scrubbed up pretty alright, I reckon.