Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:48:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Vladimir's Miscellaneous Fantasy Thread  (Read 55235 times)

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
Re: Vladimir's Miscellaneous Fantasy Thread
« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2020, 10:24:01 AM »

I'm back, with a new dragon!

This particular dragon was born from a gnome's simple dream: to create a portable firestarter.

As with most gnomish inventions, it got plenty out of hand.

Rumour says that if you can climb on its back and reset its gearbox, it will follow your commands. Who's to say if that's true or not, though...

The model is Reaper's wyrmgear. It was a bit trickier to paint than I expected, largely because I decided to try out freehand on the wings. Pretty happy with how it turned out, overall.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2020, 11:35:59 AM »
This is one Gnome that loves that clockwork dragon! This thread is filled with great imagination and brushwork. Thanks for sharing.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2020, 01:46:17 PM »
Really nice to see some of the Zenit Orphan's painted, I've had a load of them for ages but never gotten around to it. Though I have loads of free time at the moment due to no internet for the next 3 weeks outside work so might crack them out once I'm done with my current minis.

Wyrmgear looks great, nice use of the large flat areas in the wings. Random question are the pegs on his right legs the wrong shape on yours? I've tried looking it up and no one else seems to mention the same issue. Not even a miscast or anything on mine, they're just straight up the wrong pegs for the slots.  :?

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #93 on: April 12, 2020, 05:05:06 AM »
This is one Gnome that loves that clockwork dragon! This thread is filled with great imagination and brushwork. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers! I'm glad you like it.

Really nice to see some of the Zenit Orphan's painted, I've had a load of them for ages but never gotten around to it. Though I have loads of free time at the moment due to no internet for the next 3 weeks outside work so might crack them out once I'm done with my current minis.

Do it, man! They're wonderfully characterful little miniatures and there's a surprising amount of detail to be found.

Wyrmgear looks great, nice use of the large flat areas in the wings. Random question are the pegs on his right legs the wrong shape on yours? I've tried looking it up and no one else seems to mention the same issue. Not even a miscast or anything on mine, they're just straight up the wrong pegs for the slots.  :?

The right front leg was a bit fiddly to attach, but it wasn't anything a bit of clipping couldn't fix. Other than that, I think it was okay?

Anyway, on to new things!

This is Marko. He's a blacksmith by trade.

Even though he's not much of a fighter, he'll gladly take his hammer and fight against anything that threatens his hometown.

It's odd that he relies on his hammer when he's got a perfectly good sword hanging there, but to each their own...

The model's an essex miniatures dwarf. I was so stoked to paint this one I got it done in like two days. Plenty of fun to paint, even if the shield gave me trouble.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2020, 04:26:41 PM »
blimey, the clockwork dragon's knock-out!

dwarf is amusing - complete with '80s headband  ;)

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2020, 01:35:07 AM »
blimey, the clockwork dragon's knock-out!

dwarf is amusing - complete with '80s headband  ;)

Cheers, I nearly went mad painting the dragon, but it was worth it in the end! The dwarf was just plain fun and a great little project after something so big.

Now, onto my newest project - the Sea Saw!

Do ya...do ya get it?

Capable of holding eight medium humanoids (or four goliaths) the Sea Saw's magical sails unfurl with a single command from its skipper.

Although it's small, it's more than capable of keeping up with larger ships.

Thanks to little more than elbow grease and a severe talking to for anyone who messes up the deck, the Sea Saw is kept in relatively pristine condition.

The model is a 28mm longboat from bplaser. After looking at the website, I just realized that I put it together slightly wrong, but it's not the end of the world. There were a few tricky spots to reach, but that was my silly fault for putting everything together before painting it.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #96 on: June 01, 2020, 01:27:48 PM »

I'm pretty glad I finally got to paint Gotrek Gurnisson. He was hard to get a hold of around here!

I love Gotrek. He appears to have a one-track mind about finding his doom, but he's oddly compassionate to his companions for someone who claims to not care.

He's old, he's cranky, he's got a great beard, he's Gotrek

Of course, this isn't all that came with the kit...

When given the opportunity to paint up dead skaven, who could pass it up?

I have plenty of scenery, but not a lot of objective markers, so it's a good opportunity.

Why the seraphon weapon? Well, the dwarves aren't the only ones with a grudge against the skaven...also, there's a gap in the top where Gotrek's meant to fit.

The kit is GW's Gotrek Gurnisson. I was hoping to leave him unglued so I could either display him or use him in games, but given that it's almost impossible to get him on the display base after gluing the rest up, he's for gaming.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2020, 07:07:40 AM »

Next we have The Welcome House, a charming little cottage that just appears when it's needed.

Nobody's sure when The Welcome House first appeared, but anyone who walks through its door finds their weapons magically locked into their sheaths, unable to be drawn. Aggressive thoughts are somehow suppressed and the worst injury suffered within its walls was a particularly biting insult some years ago.

Nobody's sure what The Welcome House is. A wizard's pet project? A benign mimic? A well-meaning sorcerer's attempt to spread a little peace throughout the realms?

We may never know for sure, but The Welcome House is always a good sight for weary wanderers on the road.

The model is building 34 village cottage from bplaser. Only now do I realize that the door wasn't supposed to be glued in, which would have made painting the fireplace MUCH easier. Overall, it was a pretty fun painting job, aside from a few fiddly bits that were largely due to my own self-sabotage.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #98 on: September 01, 2020, 01:59:36 AM »
Hoo boy, it's been a while. In my defense, a lot of my shame pile was post-apocalyptic in nature. Now I'm on to new stuff!

This is a realmshaper engine. I don't have much of a story for this one, but maybe it'll make its own legacy after a few games?

There's so much detail packed into this thing, it's crazy.

As I said previously, it's a realmshaper engine from GW. Honestly, I was stoked to have anything for the seraphon line released, so I had to grab it. It was fun to paint overall, but so dang frustrating at some points. If I build another one, I'll likely use the vineless configuration.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #99 on: September 05, 2020, 09:18:23 AM »

Boom! Another set of miniatures done!

I nearly passed up on these tokens, but then I had an idea to set them up as magical shields.

The tokens were made by warsenal, but I'm not sure if they're still available since I found them pretty deep in a bargain bin. Overall, I'm happy with how they turned out. Could things have been better if I stuck with my original plan of making them all grassy? Maybe, maybe not. I'm content with them this way though and that's what matters.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #100 on: September 05, 2020, 03:15:09 PM »
Great work on the engine.

I like the tokens, although they speak sci-fi to me more than fantasy.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2020, 09:16:41 AM »
Great work on the engine.

I like the tokens, although they speak sci-fi to me more than fantasy.

Thanks! True, they were originally sci-fi tokens, but I couldn't stop myself. Luckily, the bases should work in some sci-fi settings.

Now for new news. I haven't quite named this fella, but his role is to seek out lost artifacts before they fall into the wrong hands.

Wearing feathers that represent the night sky, the seeker treads hidden paths in search of his quarry.

While he's perfectly content to get what he needs without bloodshed, he knows the world isn't always that simple. Besides, what's a little bloodshed between friends?

The model's GW's Skink Starpriest. It's one of my favourite miniatures (aside from a few fiddly bits) so when a painting contest came up, it was an easy choice.

Looks like I might have improved a bit over my last attempt, not that it's super bad.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2020, 08:11:48 PM »
It is a great mini, I have one I need to get around to, and you have done a brilliant job on it... both of them really, but I like the newer one A bit more.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2020, 07:30:30 AM »
It is a great mini, I have one I need to get around to, and you have done a brilliant job on it... both of them really, but I like the newer one A bit more.

Cheers! I didn't come close to winning (no surprise there) but I loved painting it and you will too, once you get around to it.

Now for the new stuff. Here we have a gaggle of ghosts who gambled...and lost.

With their vast fortunes, they tried to stave off death, but they died anyway.

Nagash, who is generally against that sort of thing, took their impudent attempts to live personally and cursed them to be weighed down with their riches for all enternity.

Now draped in torn purple and blue, these spirits seek something, anything, that they could use to buy their freedom. But what could equal the price of a soul?

Their warden could free them at any time with those keys if Nagash willed it...Nagash does not will it.

The models, as you could probably guess, are GW nighthaunt. These specific ones came from the first issue of mortal realms. Overall, I was pretty impressed with the sculpts, aside from a few hard to reach areas. I probably didn't make things easier with my choice of basing, but such is life. This last guy was only half a ghost, but a bit of green stuff and a spare hand sorted him out well enough.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2020, 12:12:15 PM »

Here I am. After a catastrophic failure involving a dropperbottle, a bad wi-fi connection and my own silly impatience, I finished these three fine folks.

These are three Tempest Lords, a stormhost of the Stormcast Eternals. Before their reforging, they were noble rulers who fought with bravery against the forces of Chaos.

Upon reforging, Sigmar told them that they were worth twelve mortal soldiers, a comment that they take to heart. They believe that to fall in battle before defeating twelve enemies is a sign of weakness, which is a bit silly. Still, they're an alright bunch.

The models are from the mortal realms magazine, which was a pretty good bargain. I'm fairly happy with how they turned out, but my freehand still needs a bit of work, as you can probably see. This was the last thing on my grey mountain, so I guess I'll not be as active for a while.