Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:51:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686591
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vladimir's Miscellaneous Fantasy Thread  (Read 53596 times)

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
Re: Valdimir's Miscellaneous Fantasy Thread
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2019, 10:54:36 AM »
I'm back, with one of the biggest boys on my grey mountain!

This is Gus. He's a giant.

Gus had another, more gianty name, but he forgot it when he was captured and bound by terrible magics.

Forced to perform in a carnival, Gus could do no more than act as instructed and watch as his homeland grew ever more distant.

Of course, magic isn't always reliable. Eventually, Gus broke free of his bonds and after going on a small killing spree, he set about the task of returning home...even if he's not too sure where it is from here.

The model is the giant from zenit miniatures. I took advantage of all the tasty flesh to try out some freehand war paint. On the plus side, I think it turned out pretty well. On the down side, one of my brushes went full banana peel in the process.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2019, 11:57:15 AM »
Look, over there! A new mini!

This is The Boss, one of the orphans who live in scrap forest. Robin likes to think he's in charge, but it's The Boss who gets things done.

No matter where he goes, The Boss is always followed by his sword-rabbit.

When asked about the doll he carries around, The Boss gets flustered. Far more flustered than one would expect.

The miniature is Zenit miniature's Bossy model. Didn't come up with a proper name for him, so it's The Boss until I do. There were two antennae, but one snapped off and vanished into the aether because it is tiny.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2019, 11:32:43 AM »

Look, up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane!

What are you, stupid? It's clearly Tom and Joe, the dragonfly brothers!

Upon hearing about a forest of scrap, Tom and Joe were drawn like moths to a flame. They found the reality of the situation a bit disappointing, but they made do with what they had.

These mischievous pranksters butt heads with Robin and The Boss, but their inventions more than make up for their pranks.

The models are Dragonfly A and B from Zenit miniatures. I used fluff from a recent purchase at reverse garbage to try and simulate clouds, but history will be the judge of how effective it is...history, and the internet.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2019, 06:57:46 PM »
excellent (and new to me) miniatures and painting.
love your background write-ups.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2019, 01:16:19 AM »
excellent (and new to me) miniatures and painting.
love your background write-ups.

Cheers man! I honestly came across these minis by accident. When I saw them at a miniatures convention, I knew I had to grab 'em. The fact that the box they came in calculated to about $1.30 a mini helped...and I'm still not done!

Speaking of not being done, I present The Termite Terrors, the scouts and lookouts of Scrap Town.

Cole, Frankie and Alex are masters of stealth and camouflage (at least according to them) If you see them, it's either too late, you've been deemed non-threatening or Alex got distracted by a butterfly. Again.

If it needs finding, odds are one of these three can find it...or they're the reason it's missing in the first place.

The miniatures are zenit miniatures' ants and ant boss. Overall, they were fun to paint but since Cole's only attached to the base by one foot, he did break off a couple of times. Nothing a little superglue couldn't fix, though.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2019, 07:18:53 AM »
Another denizen of Scrap Town appears!

Some kids are sneaky. Some kids are cheeky. Then, there's Beetle.

There's nothing that Beetle likes more than a good fight. Friend? Enemy? Doesn't matter so long as it's fun.

Beetle might not be much for thinking, but when it comes to war, there's nobody quite as uniquely talented.

Despite his protests, Beetle does have a soft side, as evidenced by the doll that hangs off his belt.

The miniature is Zonik II age, from Zenit Miniatures. I mucked up putting the hands on, but overall I'm pretty happy with it.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2019, 07:18:50 AM »
I'm back! Again!

This is Robin and his friends. Robin was the first to find Scrap Forest, when he was on the run for using magic without a permit.

The first friend he made was Hangman (bottom left). Soon, Bucky (bottom right) Puff (top right) and Blobby joined him.

Over time, other kids were drawn to the makeshift buildings Robin made. They banded together and managed to secure the general area, but sometimes he wonders...

Do the others know they're not alive anymore?

The models are Zenit Miniatures' Imaginist and Chimeras. There were a few frustrating details on the Imaginist, but overall it was tons of fun to paint these. Now that they're done, I might have to dig deep and greedily for my next project...

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2019, 03:22:48 AM »

Yup, it's a balrog. There's no big backstory for this guy. It was old and the previous owner was kind enough to strip it before selling it so I figured, why not?

It's a ral partha sculpt from 1979. I didn't do anything super fancy with this one, but I reckon it turned out alright. It looks better in person, trust me.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2019, 04:18:15 AM »

I'm back, with a named character. It's Oxyotyl!

When Oxyotyl came up for order a while ago, I jumped at the chance. If I hadn't been unemployed at the time, I would have grabbed Tehenhauin as well.

I like how the model isn't super populated with gubbinz, but it does well with what it has. Overall, I really liked painting this guy.

:o

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2019, 04:14:41 AM »

This is Gramps. He had another name a long time ago, but it was erased when he joined a cult in his youth.

Fortunately, he managed to escape the cult with the help of a merciful adventurer, two monkeys and a bag of ball bearings. You kind of had to be there, but it was hilarious.

After years of aimless wondering, Gramps finally found peace in a small village by becoming its healer. His methods are unorthodox, but he gets results.

Gramps was fine where he was, until he saw a sorry group of adventurers. Then another. Then another. Eventually, he had enough. He picked up his bone scythe and orc-skin scroll (who would've thought they're pink on the inside?) and he set out to show these young punks how it's done.

The mini is reaper's darkrasp, evil priest. I won it for coming first in a D&D gauntlet. It was arguably one of the cheapest prizes, but I wanted it and now he's mine. The base is from secret weapon. All in all, it was a fun mini to paint with just enough detail to be interesting, without being overwhelming.

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2019, 04:27:03 AM »
Nice work. I really like that chameleon skink.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2019, 03:23:57 AM »
Nice work. I really like that chameleon skink.

Cheers! I wanted that one for so long that I was determined to do my best on it. Could it have been done better? Probably, but it's good enough for me.

And speaking of lizard guys...

I couldn't settle on a name for this guy, so let's call him Hshaa

Hshaa was hatched in the deep darkness of a dank swamp. From an early age, they was skilled in the arcane, but there are only so many things that one can learn in such a place.

After packing their bags, Hshaa set off in search of new magics to learn.

The mini is a wizards cleric of Logzed. I picked it up for five bucks and I don't regret it.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2019, 06:10:22 AM »

Who's this shuffling out of the woods? Prince Orisk the Golden!

Orisk loves gold and fighting as much as he hates elves, which is quite a bit.

As per tradition, Orisk is traveling through the lands to understand other cultures and learn how to work with them instead of starting another three-generation-long war.

The model's a GW dwarf I think? Snagged it for five bucks from a second hand mini sale at my FLGS. Turned out pretty well, I reckon.

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2019, 06:52:31 AM »
Good work.
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn and the scabbard thrown away!'

Instagram Swordisdrawn264

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2019, 06:33:05 AM »
Good work.

Cheers! I did as well as I could.

Here's my newest project: The Mountain.

The Mountain's clan was once small and weak, constantly attacked by a clan that lived by the ocean.

When The Mountain was born, it was seen as a sign. He was a huge, healthy baby whose strength only grew as he got older.

The fight isn't over, but with this man leading the charge, it's only a matter of time...

The model is General Shan, from Ex Manus studios. It was pretty fun to paint.