Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:17:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Adoption rates for paved roads in Europe in the interwar period?  (Read 3257 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Right, so if one is looking to game all over Europe in the interwar period, they'll need roads at some point. I will probably be making some dirt/gravel roads as well as some tarmac/asphalt ones. What I don't know is what the relative predominance would have been of each type in the 30's. I.E. should I make more dirt or more tarmac or make about half and half?

As far as I know there would have been three main types of roads at the time:

- Rough dirt
- Macadam (i.e. gravel) roads
- Tarmac or asphalt

Asphalt construction was picking up due to the great increase in road traffic since 1900, and in some counties had been continuing since before 1900. The two extremes would probably be Britain with the most (though I actually have no idea what percentage of British roads were tarmac/asphalt paved by, say, 1935) and Russia (which had less than 1000 km of any sort of tarmac asphalt road before WWII, the main stretch being part of the road between Moscow and - I think - Smolensk/Minsk). But I have no idea of adoption rates or percentages or anything like that and can't seem to find any specific information online.

So I'm wondering what proportion of roads would be best? For each of the three types I plan to make at least enough sections to cross our game table once, but I would like to make some extra ones for whichever was (or were) most common.

Of course  in cities or built up areas you'd have cobbles or setts or the like as well, but that's not what I'm talking about for the moment.

In any case, I'm probably overthinking this anyway, aren't I? But now I've gone and gotten all curious. lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
Re: Adoption rates for paved roads in Europe in the interwar period?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 07:19:52 AM »
Plenty of pave (cobblestones) in rural France! You'll need a mixture as there's everything between the Autobahns (from the mid 30s onwards), to unpaved dirt tracks even now in Western Europe, yet alone further east.
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 07:36:13 AM »
Oh no! I don't think I want to make full sets of three types of roads (I'm just going to combine dirt tracks and macadams as general dirt roads)! Two is enough!  o_o

I'll have to do cobbles at some point for towns I'm sure, but maybe I can find some of that basketball-cover material someone else was using.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 10:04:06 AM »
For cobbles you could always use embossed wallpaper laid over a card or MDF base.

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 10:06:36 AM »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 05:58:07 PM »
Very interesting reading that. Doesn't speak to the rest of Europe, but at this point I think we're getting into rivet-counter territory. I think just having soem of each type of paving will will cover most needs. I can always add cobbled versions later, especially if I find a good textured sheet (Ideally that basketball surface stuff, which at least one other LAF-er has used to make cobble roads). 

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 09:27:19 PM »
You can use Lemax vinyl cobblestone material for pave' roads. It looks really good after washing and dry brushing:

http://www.village-peddler.com/dept56/accessories/1146386.jpg

Lemax also produces brick street material. I haven't tried that one:

http://www.village-peddler.com/dept56/accessories/1146387.jpg

Apparently you can buy a combo pack:

http://www.village-peddler.com/lemax-village/accessories/brickandpebbleroads.jpg

You can get the pebble surface in a large mat, useful to make town squares:

http://www.amazon.com/Lemax-Christmas-Village-Landscape-34920/dp/B00436JBDO

Good luck!
Sailors have more fun!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 10:24:08 PM »
Oh I have some AMAZING rubber mat I found for tarmac. It looks stunningly perfect.

For cobbles, I'll think of something eventually. I find those mats are far too perfect and regular.

Offline dice shaker

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 01:51:19 AM »
Good morning,

here in Germany there was / is a fourth type: copplestone pavement with different sized stones. Until 1950 there was many time a dirt lane for horses, the summer-road. The railway stores offers tapes with diferent textures to build this roads, ready to gum.

Yours Sebastian