Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:18:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Irregular Wars & Co. – Anyone played it?  (Read 5012 times)

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
Irregular Wars & Co. – Anyone played it?
« on: January 16, 2015, 03:59:52 PM »
Hi all.

Been reorganising (read: reshuffling) my 'Rules' folder recently and stumbled across this set called "Irregular Wars". Googled a bit, too, but couldn't dig up an awful lot more than the author's blog. Which is well worth a visit for sure.

However, given its quite distinctive basing style and a rather unusual focus on 16th to 17th century 'small wars', "Irregular Wars" appears to be aimed at a niche market, and I wondered if any member of this select company has ever bothered to actually use those rules in anger.

Also I did wonder if there are any alternatives for unit-based, yet skirmish-type actions in the Pike and Shot era, not necessarily set in a Colonial environment. I must say, I'm intrigued and would like to investigate further.

Thanks anyone! :)

Offline El Grego

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
    • The Pewter-Pixel Wars
Re: Irregular Wars & Co. – Anyone played it?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 02:00:08 AM »
I received a copy of these rules recently as well.  Time is quite full at the moment, but I will post some thoughts once I get a chance to read through them...

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 10:02:19 AM »
The more I read the more I'm surprised there's obviously so little interest in these rules. At least as mirrored on the internet. They seem pretty straight forward, contain quite a few neat ideas (e.g. slightly randomised troop choices or narrative events) as well as an easy campaign-mode with interesting scenarios. Neither do armies require big tables or shedloads of miniatures, while the setting is versatile enough so one might even reuse units in a number of armies. Finally, if you leave out some of the more exotic options you could easily refocus on 'less irregular' conflicts like the TYW or ECW – or, lo and behold!, adapt the rules to other periods.

Well, actually shouldn't be surprised. I guess if this set were published by the likes of Osprey there would be a lot more oomph about them. ;)

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 12:42:32 PM »
Hi,

Apologies, I have only just come across this now. I am the author of Irregular Wars, so thanks very much for the comments gents!  :)

A fellow rules author who has written for Osprey did actually show the rules to them and suggested they might take it on for the 2nd edition but was told that the genre was not considered to be marketable.

I'm delighted to be able to say that with the exception of one persistent typo, the rules have held up remarkably well since release, with players having written additional army lists for the Cossack conquest of Siberia, a flow-charted campaign system for solo play, ancient Greek lists and fantasy lists, so as you say, it is adaptable.

Cheers!

Nic

Offline Vinlander

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 03:32:32 PM »
I second all of the above! My group here was playing it for a while and (despite not many games happening these days) its still talked about fairly frequently. Its a cracking rules set that gives a very enjoyable game.  ;)
"English is the result of the efforts of Norman men-at-arms to make
dates with Saxon barmaids, and is no more legitimate than any of the
other results." -- H. Beam Piper

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 11:03:07 PM »
I agree - had them for quite a while - the original and then 2nd ed, and a really great set of rules. Very adaptable if that's what you're after, and they're a real go-to set for me, highly recommended.

Offline El Frantico

• Librarian
    • Firelock Games
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 05:15:15 PM »
I have a copy of these also but sadly have not had the time to put some units together and try it out. Looks like a good game.
Mike Tuρez
Firelock Games
www.FirelockGames.com

Offline charla51

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 09:31:41 PM »
I've no experience of these rules, but for smallish 'skirmishy' actions I'd recommend Witchfinder General, without the supernatural elements.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 11:04:41 AM »
Just bought a set following the comments here and on the blog.

What did you guys do for the cards? I've never ordered and printed a set before - did you get them pin timed up on card someplace?

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 01:51:01 PM »
Just bought a set following the comments here and on the blog.

What did you guys do for the cards? I've never ordered and printed a set before - did you get them pin timed up on card someplace?

Cheers Emir. If you are US based, then getting the cards from DriveThru Cards is the way to go - http://www.drivethrucards.com/product/185596/Irregular-Wars-Conflict-at-the-Worlds-End-Chance-Cards

If you are from other parts, DriveThru is still an option, but postage can be a bit pricey.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 04:11:55 PM »
£5.60 for the cards and £3.30 postage first class international letter, so I bought them. I think that's a decent price !!

Not quite sure if a deck of cards or a sheet for cutting will pop thru the letter box, but when it does I will let you know.

(I have a laminator at home or there's card pouches if need be so no worries).

They better be a decent set of rules though  ;D ;) :D

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 05:08:56 PM »
I really like these rules, they give a good fun game, with tactical choices, and random stuff!

The core rules are very straight forward, so there is little ambiguity once you are playing. The initial setup has a high degree of randomness, which is good, forcing you to adapt to what is given to you, rather than being able to select a perfect army every time.

The forces (companies) are quite small and easy to collect figures for, we have used 10mm figures on 40mm square bases.

I bought the deck of cards, they are very nicely produced and well with the approx £10 cost. Having the actual cards makes it much easier to remember which you have, rather than just using the list in the rule book.

There are a huge number of army lists provided in the rules, covering most of the world!

this was one of my first games, Imperial forces vs Steppe Khanate

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 08:07:51 PM »
Great looking game Fred. I'd live to read any AARs if you, or anyone else, has the time and inclination.

Offline El Grego

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
    • The Pewter-Pixel Wars
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 04:05:14 AM »
Hi,

Apologies, I have only just come across this now. I am the author of Irregular Wars, so thanks very much for the comments gents!  :)

A fellow rules author who has written for Osprey did actually show the rules to them and suggested they might take it on for the 2nd edition but was told that the genre was not considered to be marketable.

I'm delighted to be able to say that with the exception of one persistent typo, the rules have held up remarkably well since release, with players having written additional army lists for the Cossack conquest of Siberia, a flow-charted campaign system for solo play, ancient Greek lists and fantasy lists, so as you say, it is adaptable.

Cheers!

Nic

A bit out of the Pike & Musket theatre but I would like to see more about the Ancient Greek and fantasy lists, Nic    ;)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2017, 09:36:09 PM »
A photo battle report

This is from some months ago, so details are a bit vague, but I have a good few pictures!
The forces arrayed were Royal English vs Moguls - not something you would expect for a good few hundred years more!. We wanted a big game, and matched the armies to availability of figures, rather than historical likelihood. The Royal English were represented by 10mm WM Empire figures, the Moguls by a mix of Araby and Goblin figures (hey, it worked as a game, no matter how odd it seems written down now!!).

We had 4 companies per side, I was commanding two of the Royal English companies, one blue, one red. The Mogul commander took huge amounts of the very cheap Hindu Levy - he tends to favour cheap tat.

My troops crest the hills while the Mogul light cavalry advance. My blue company was deployed a little too wide, and spent much of the game getting forwards, while masking its own cannons!

On the right flank, it is a similar story

Mid-game, looking down the table. Right at the far end is a big punch-up. On the left near the windmill are Mogul Rockets, which I recall were hugely ineffective. In front of them, was a bit of a mexican stand-off.
The Irish Kerns have just forded the river, much to the consternation of the Mogul player defending the village, as he hadn't realised they had the Wild rule so could cross terrain easily.
Some of my cavalry have engaged in-front of the wood, they are getting the worst of it, but have drawn the enemy forwards, while my troops slog through the wood. Nearest the camera the majority of my troops come round the flank, as the enemy withdraws from them.

The left flank from the same time as the photo above

And the right.

The End

Where have all the Moguls gone?  :D  My red company sweeps out the forest to engage the cavalry - getting flank charges and overruns. Causing carnage through direct combat, and through the impact of the loss of nearby friends. The Hindu levy troops were particularly fragile. I recall that the commander's unit was very effective, with an initial flank charge, then rolling a 6 to get a free follow-up charge where he wanted!
The blue company finally engages - again sweeping away levy when the Demi-Lancers charged (who might look very like Gendarmes!).

The Hindu levy proved a bit of a liability - mainly due to the resolve loss for the loss of friends. And with a few wounds from initial shooting, much of the Mogul army evaporated on contact from quality units.