Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:35:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Bushrangers for Dead Man's Hand Down Under  (Read 6379 times)

Offline folnjir

• Scientist
Re: Bushrangers for Dead Man's Hand Down Under
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2015, 11:38:38 AM »
You can also get them from here if you don't like ebay:

http://www.forlornhopegames.co.uk/category/12-animals

They do emus too.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2015, 01:07:39 PM »
I foresee lots of games set in Orstraylia that look fuck all like the place, mostly using recycled Old West buildings.

Tip to those wanting something that looks a little more dinkum*. There are a number of Australian model rail road companies that produce track side structures. Wooden cottages and the like. Many are suitable for the late 19thC. Even if you don't buy them they can be useful guides to scratch build your own.  Roofs are invariably pitched. Verandahs are common. For more elaborate structures like pubs. Iron lace work was popular. Replace the roof with tin and the Perry house is a pretty useful structure.

There's a restored ghost town in Victoria called Walhalla if you gogle that you'll get some useful images. Likewise the outdoor historical parks at Sovereign Hill and Coal Creek provide useful references for colonial architecture.

Naturally enough the terrain varies dramatically across the continent. Native grasses tend to straw colour. There are parts pf the country that are almost perpetually green though. South Gippsland is a sea of green for almost the whole year for example.

There are a number of folk that make gum trees (eucalyptus trees) for model railways and wargamesrs but these ones are particularly impressive albeit they aren't cheap:

http://www.auscisionmodels.com.au/Australian%20Trees.htm
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2015, 02:26:46 PM »
I think people who want to create Australia will do it right...but I think what you'll see is a lot of folks with Old West buildings deciding to do a Kelly gang scenario...but don't have the time or money to go full Australia.  (much in the same way my Rorkes Drift farms will end up in Arizona).
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2015, 03:10:27 PM »
I think people who want to create Australia will do it right...but I think what you'll see is a lot of folks with Old West buildings deciding to do a Kelly gang scenario...but don't have the time or money to go full Australia.  (much in the same way my Rorkes Drift farms will end up in Arizona).

I have to agree. I think the majority of people will just use their Old west terrain for Australia as the cost of another set of frontier victorian scenery will be prohibitive.

I'll be looking to scratch build a post office and would love to have the time to build a proper bar (I, ahem, visited a couple whilst in Mudgee and reckon they probably hadn't been changed in quite a few years  ;)) Although I think a few sheds made of balsa and some scale corrugated iron will definitely be on the cards.

I'm lucky enough to have travelled to NSW so have a few photos of the terrain. The one thing that always struck me is that there will be one tree in a field? Just one, on its own. What the hell is that all about?
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2015, 05:20:25 PM »
I'd be fine mixing in a few period buildings and some kangaroos with an old west town and call it good enough. Dead Man's Hand is more Hollywood than history in any case.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2015, 08:27:43 PM »
I'd be fine mixing in a few period buildings and some kangaroos with an old west town and call it good enough. Dead Man's Hand is more Hollywood than history in any case.

Yeah you'll need heaps of 'roos. The blooming things flock all round town, some tamed ones are even trained  to deliver the morning paper in their pouches! They are a friendly creature, but a bit skittish.

Cheers
Matt.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2015, 09:11:05 PM »
I'm lucky enough to have travelled to NSW so have a few photos of the terrain. The one thing that always struck me is that there will be one tree in a field? Just one, on its own. What the hell is that all about?

Cos Australian farmers being the 'natural conservators of the landscape', as they love to tell you, fucking well  hate trees. They reduce the amount of grass you can graze sheep or cows on. The average cocky will leave one or two in a paddock for  a pathetic amount of shade for the sheep/ cows to stand under.

Of course one needs to be aware that the man made part of the landscape may have changed considerably since settlement. I used to live in a part of Victoria that was once heavily forested. It contained trees whose trunks were so large that pioneering families built homes in them. Today it looks rather like rural Wales.

* It appears to be a line officially sanctioned by the National Farmers Federation. I once had some twat spout  the line in a pub in Yarram. Oddly enough he had a sheep farm between Woodside and Sale where about half the remaining trees south of the highway were dying off because of the lowered water table brought by, you guessed it, the removal of er trees.  Eventually his farm and most of the adjoining ones will be desert like expanses of salt.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 09:13:42 PM by carlos marighela »

Offline marcusluis

• Scientist
    • marcos painting blog
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2015, 10:01:56 PM »
why is there so much corrogated iron??

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2015, 12:04:35 AM »
why is there so much corrogated iron??

Cheap, easily transportable and hardy. Just what we needed for our climate. Corrugated iron was a product of industrial and imperial Britain, where it was invented and patented in 1829 and by the mid-1880s Australia had become Britain's largest customer. There were "kit-homes" that came from Britain and could be erected in a day or two.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2015, 09:58:43 AM »
Cheap, easily transportable and hardy. Just what we needed for our climate. Corrugated iron was a product of industrial and imperial Britain, where it was invented and patented in 1829 and by the mid-1880s Australia had become Britain's largest customer. There were "kit-homes" that came from Britain and could be erected in a day or two.

Not just corrugated iron. Believe it or not whole buildings in wood and brick were shipped out from Blighty as kits. Even some of the ones that were constructed locally were occasionally based on plans originally destined for other parts of the empire. Allegedly the Heidelberg Court House was based on plans destined for India.

Christ Church Tarraville is another interesting building fairly atypical but it goes to show you the variety of structures you can encounter. The building dates from 1856, it's the earliest church in Gippsland and was built on a tongue and groove system so no nails were used. It's had a tin roof for decades but if you stand on the portico you can see the original split timber shingles that once roofed it.

Here's a useful site for photos of Victoria that's searchable:

http://www.picturevictoria.vic.gov.au/

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2015, 10:57:36 AM »
Amazing skin colurs on the bare-breasted gent!

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2015, 11:59:43 AM »
This is all getting me in the mood to build terrain that can be used for this and VBCW set in Australia.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2015, 05:12:44 PM »
There is one topic for all discussions about the Down Under range: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=76721.0

Please use that one from now on. Topic locked.