Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:38:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rab games with his kids - 10/04 Painting  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
Rab games with his kids - 10/04 Painting
« on: February 21, 2015, 06:31:20 PM »
Using the Knights' Quest rules that I've written and used for the last couple of years, my two lads took charge of a small adventuring party to deal with the dragon that had been causing all sorts of agricultural arson and princess-napping. The rotter!

First, they had to deal with the Goblinoid Tribe of Surprisingly Varied Stature...

Then deal with more of them...

They got the hang of positioning and lines of sight straight away and soon strode past the corpses of their erstwhile foes before finally meeting with the dragon himself...

Did they succeed? Well, when your adventurers roll dice like they're heavily loaded, what's a dragon to do but roll over...

It was an absolute blast of a game, and I've more verbiage over on my blog. If you're interested in the rules themselves, I'd invite you to pop over to this page on my blog for previous adventures and to get a feel for my design intentions and progress towards a published ruleset.

I'll be looking for playtesters soon if you're of a dungeoneering persuasion...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 05:36:20 PM by Mister Rab »

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Dragons? They don't scare US!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 06:48:08 PM »
Really hits the nostalgia button for me.  That sculpt was the very first dragon miniature I ever painted, back around the dawn of time.

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 06:52:04 PM »
That was part of it, really - I wanted to write the sort of game that I wanted to play now while giving my boys the feel of something like HeroQuest which I enjoyed as a kid. Glad you like it :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 08:03:41 PM by Mister Rab »

Offline Patsuriku

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 01:07:52 AM »
Lovely minis and those dungeon tiles are beautiful, are they home made?

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 07:25:34 AM »
Thanks, Patsuriku. The dungeon tiles are by all-round good egg and talented chappy, Will Meddis who draws and trades under the name Billiam Babble. You can get his dungeon tiles from his RPGDriveThru page - some of them are free if you want to try before you buy. I just printed them off, stuck them to mounting card and used a marker pen to colour the sides of the card black.

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
Super EM and the Monsters
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 08:22:32 PM »
Not dungeon crawling this time, but more gaming. This time an impromptu skirmish with almost no mechanics (roll a dice for combat, everyone moves the same distance) and the boy being the monsters this time.

Plenty more, including a spot of doting parenting, on my blog. Suffice to say, the monsters won!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 08:24:14 PM by Mister Rab »

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
Re: Rab games with his kids - The potion pilferers
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 08:49:38 PM »
Another weekend, another game of Knights' Quest with my two little proto-geeks. Hurrah! This time both Knights had learned from their previous adventures and used their accumulated Hero Points (HP) to acquire Skills. CJ took Charge and Weapon Master (sword), while EM's knight had learned Parry and Grapple, solely because he wanted to be able to throw his foes off bridges or cliffs. I worry about that boy sometimes...

The king's enchanter, Marlin, was distraught. He had returned to his chambers in the white tower (safely distant from the great hall so that the unusual aromas from his experiments didn't spoil guests' appetites!) to find them ransacked. Sorting through the mess, he had found that four of his most unusual and powerful potions had been stolen! The only clue was a set of footprints that headed down towards some unused store-rooms under the castle. Bare footprints that weren't quite human...

So, the terrible twosome set off into the undercroft of the castle to hunt down the potions and whatever had taken them, under the lego archway, and smack into the first of the goblinoids who were to blame for the theft:

Despite splitting their forces...

... they regathered for the final encounter, having learned to use their new skills effectively, to face down the evil (but not very accomplished) sorcerer behind the theft...

As always, more photos and Exciting Narrative (TM) on the associated blog post

I'm finally happy with the rules and will be releasing them for a more open playtest, probably this week if work and family allow. Volunteers will be welcome!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Rab games with his kids - 16/03 Potion pilferers
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 11:26:32 AM »
The time I spent playing AD&D with my Boys now forms the core of some wonderful memories. The games do look SPLENDID! Enjoy the experience.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
Re: Rab games with his kids - 16/03 Potion pilferers
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 12:20:46 PM »
Thanks DeafNala, if their excitement is anything to go by (and the blow-by-blow details they give their mother over supper later  lol), they are laying down happy memories, which is really precious to me.

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
Re: Rab games with his kids - 10/04 Painting
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 05:35:55 PM »
No new game report, I'm afraid, but I have been adding to the foes my lads will have to face. Actual painting has been happening!

First, some Crooked Claw goblins (Kev Adams' sculpts) as I realised I had no archers among "the baddies"

Lovely miniatures, really rewarding to paint - which skin tone(s) work best, do you think? I have a whole bunch more CC goblins armed with various brutal-looking sharp things that need some paint.

Secondly, a pair of undoubtedly very badly behaved dogs! These are Foundry hyenas that will primarily serve as chaos hounds in my Tzeentch-themed Realm of Chaos warband.

It was a bit of a struggle to get the skin to look "normal" but in a strikingly different colour. I think I'm happy with the result.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 06:28:58 PM »
OUTSTANDING! That is a FINE array of BEAUTIFULLY finished miniatures. I'm finding the varied skin tones Folks are using to be appealing to the point that I may have to start doing that myself...the inspiration is appreciated. While the personable Archers & the Hounds are all WONDERFUL, I have a fondness for the red violet Hyena on the right. GREAT WORK once more!

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 07:31:50 PM »
Thanks, DeafNala - you're always so complimentary and affirming of my efforts with the brush  :)

(The violet hound is my favourite of the two as well)