Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:27:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Kiwi painters sought for Peter Jackson's Gallipoli diorama  (Read 11252 times)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Kiwi painters sought for Peter Jackson's Gallipoli diorama
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 08:06:28 AM »
Guft to the nushun or not. Peter Jackson is a tedious twat whose approach to film making has done a lot of harm to local production. He's a union busting arse wipe. So were I a kiwi, I'd be having second thoughts about volunteering my labour to anything he was involved in. He wants to do something for NZ? Try paying equity members a decent rate and maybe consider handing back the massive tax subsidies he finagled out the NZ government. Pretty sure he could finance a whole museum on teh basis of what he squeezed out of the NZ taxpayer.

He's wealthy enough to pay for the painting if he really wanted to do something or at least provide a small reward to those who make the effort on his behalf.

By the by, the figures don't look terribly inspiring. The rifles look a bit off. That might just be the photos at work but they look like a bit of a rush job and not as impressive as the Perries' own 28mm figures.

Sorry but not a fan.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 09:43:41 AM »
Peace and love everyone..... ;)
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 10:22:57 PM »
Sounds like brilliant fun, despite being in the wrong hemisphere.  Will there be an appeal for Turkish gamers to paint the opposition?  ;)

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 12:24:56 AM »
It is a long way to come to paint models but I have plenty of room at the Woolshed (there is a house too  :) )

A long way indeed but for me, a once in a lifetime opportunity.  I shall definitely look into plane tickets, although my phobia may be an issue I would persivere haha...
.: Logan's band of survivors of the battle of Ursun's teeth :.

For blog posts with more info here.....
http://let-the-galaxy-burn-again.blogspot.co.uk/
And the vlogs here....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyMQNtc1ANwIbEN80M-gwA

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2015, 12:28:51 AM »
fair go carlos. None of that stuff has anything to do with this display. Secondly the ex head of their defence force is a wargamer.

In  a direct sense, maybe not but it's perfectly valid to hold a view on the bloke seeking to add to his lustre with the project and perfectly valid to voice it. And given the twat is cashed up and since he runs a large production company, you'd think it was reasonable that he was able to

a) adequately resource it

b) Give sufficient lead time for it to be accomplished. As it is he has a scant few weeks to do so.

Your mileage may differ.

Given the size of the current NZ Defence Force it's entirely appropriate that it be headed by a wargamer. I suspect what's left of their airforce is staffed by RC model aircraft enthusiasts. :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 12:32:19 AM by carlos marighela »

Offline Arteis

• Scientist
    • My 'Dressing the Lines' blog
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2015, 08:26:58 AM »
Just to point out, this painting project is only a tiny part of something much bigger:  

http://www.beehive.govt.nz/speech/first-world-war-commemorative-museum-exhibition-announced

Like the many Kiwi wargamers who have responded so enthusiastically over the last few days, I feel honoured to have this opportunity to volunteer for my own small part in New Zealand's WW100 commemorations.  

By the way, a dedicated blog for the painting project is just around the corner ... I'll post a link here when it goes online.

Roly
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 10:41:48 AM by Arteis »

Roly Hermans
Paraparaumu, New Zealand

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2015, 09:07:17 AM »
To be fair to Sir Peter Jackson.

I am sure he could pay someone to do the painting, but would it get done in time by a painting service? and why not get Kiwi gamers involved as they take pride in the Countries contribution to the World Wars. You only have to see the ongoing turnout at the Dawn Parade on ANZAC day to appreciate the depth of feeling of that.

Besides I am sure that Kiwis will take a lot of satisfaction in getting this done even with out any form of payment.

Offline Arteis

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 08:59:30 AM »
A short update about the progress of the project is up on my personal blog:

https://arteis.wordpress.com/2015/01/27/update-on-new-zealand-gallipoli-diorama-project/

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 09:01:09 AM by Arteis »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2015, 12:26:01 PM »
A short update about the progress of the project is up on my personal blog:

https://arteis.wordpress.com/2015/01/27/update-on-new-zealand-gallipoli-diorama-project/

Well at least painting their faces and hands should be dead easy. :D

Offline Arteis

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2015, 04:56:59 PM »
The Kiwi wargamers’ project to paint 4000 specially-produced Perry miniatures for a massive Gallipoli diorama within two months has now been picked up by the mainstream media in New Zealand:

Read the article here:  http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/65526114/wargamers-needed-to-help-create-gallipoli-diorama

There are a couple of the usual reporter oddities – making ‘ammunition’ for instance!  But overall very positive.

Offline Arteis

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2015, 07:10:13 AM »
The Great War Exhibition that will include this diorama is just one part of the New Zealand WW100 commemorations.

Many of the hundreds of WW100 commemoration projects around the country involve volunteers providing time, effort and materials because they want to honour those who went before us.

Now this project offers the chance for Kiwi wargamers to join the thousands of other NZ volunteers in all sorts of projects, exhibitions and events for WW100.  Peter Jackson is doing his considerable bit, and individual wargamers and clubs are doing their smaller (but no less valuable) bits.

See: http://ww100.govt.nz/first-world-war-commemorative-museum-exhibition-announced

Offline Arteis

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2015, 09:37:14 AM »
This project now has an official blog, launched today:

http://anzacdiorama.blogspot.co.nz/

The Mustering the Troops blog supports this WW100 (World War One commemoration) project in New Zealand to paint four thousand 54mm figures for a massive Gallipoli diorama in the forthcoming Great War Exhibition.    

This project provides the opportunity for New Zealand wargamers to do their bit for the ww100 commemorations, as thousands of other Kiwi volunteers from all walks of life are already doing in many different events, exhibitions and projects across the country.

Could I please ask New Zealand wargamers to circulate the news about the Mustering The Troops blog around their clubs, so that we can get a wide representation of painters from all over the country.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 09:39:12 AM by Arteis »

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2015, 10:15:52 AM »
Page says painting 1000, not 4000, is that right?

Offline Arteis

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2015, 10:36:32 AM »
Well spotted, that man.  Only a minor 75% discrepancy!  It's now been corrected to read 4000.  Thanks for the heads-up.

And I bet you somewhere or other I'll call the blog "Mustering the Lines" instead of "Mustering the Troops", because my own blog is called "Dressing the Lines"! 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 10:38:44 AM by Arteis »

Offline cdr

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2015, 02:48:41 PM »
good luck with this great project

Carl