Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:41:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: BBC link to SCW Photo's from Robert Capa and something a bit more local.  (Read 2419 times)

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
Thought some on here may be interested in these

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30992883.

And also this

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/aberdeen/462758/hopes-raised-for-aberdeen-spanish-civil-war-flag-to-fly-again/ -  which brings it home a little.

Hope you find them interesting!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 04:44:29 PM by Emir of Askaristan »

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: BBC link to SCW Photo's from Robert Capa and something a bit more local.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 06:51:25 PM »
Thanks for sharing that!  :)

Offline CaptainHaddonCollider

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 07:08:08 PM »
Thanks for sharing indeed. I'd love for my own country to have something like the IBMT, to raise some more awareness of the SCW and the countrymen who took part in it. It was something of an international effort, after all.

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 10:28:57 PM »
Thanks for sharing indeed. I'd love for my own country to have something like the IBMT, to raise some more awareness of the SCW and the countrymen who took part in it. It was something of an international effort, after all.

There's nothing? Perhaps you should give the IBMT a call or drop them a line and see. There may be something you're not aware of.  I knew of the names of some of those from Aberdeen and their background but only snippets and hearsay, more of their exploits before leaving Scotland, than when abroad. It's a fascinating story.

Offline Von Stroheim

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 02:39:45 PM »
I used to work with a David Anderson from Aberdeen - he was a stretcher bearer  in the British Brigade  -  swore he had been taught how to shoot by James Robertson Justice.  I think they named a building after him at he Aberdeen Royal Infirmary - there is certainly a Bob Cooney Court named after the commisar.

Offline CaptainHaddonCollider

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 03:50:04 PM »
There's nothing? Perhaps you should give the IBMT a call or drop them a line and see. There may be something you're not aware of.  I knew of the names of some of those from Aberdeen and their background but only snippets and hearsay, more of their exploits before leaving Scotland, than when abroad. It's a fascinating story.

There's a small memorial service every year at the monument for the spanish volunteers here in Copenhagen, and I believe that they're represented by the Horserød-Stutthof Union, which is a gathering of ex-kz prisoners and their children, but that's about it. For some reason the Danes have a very ambivalent relationship with those 500 countrymen who fought in the SCW, as they've been granted a prime spot in the Churchill Park (oh the irony...) at Langelinie, a very prominent location, but on the other hand it's not something anyone to right of the local communist party ever makes a deal of.

Anyway, not wanting to start a debate, I'd just like to say that I think the Scots are doing a good job of it, and I'm glad to see their story is taken up for all of us to read about.

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 06:08:55 PM »

I don't think the governments of either country do anything by the sound of it and locally the only reminders are via the trades unions or council (Hence Bob Cooney Court - which may in fact be named after the  councillor son of the above BC though I might need to double check that).

There's been a tiny resurgence of interest in recent years with the publication of "Homage to Caledonia" specifically about Scots in the SCW. Scotland has historically had a strong left wing tradition and many of those who took part were politically active and motivated and of course Union members before and/or afterwards.

In any case, fascinating.