Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:53:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691076
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Having a spot of bother with (probably) mold release agent...  (Read 2164 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
I have a very fine miniature, quite rare, in resin which I am trying to prime in gesso. I have washed it three times with water and dish soap and twice with simple green and dish soap, yet I cannot remove the mold release, because each time my primer incurs the separation effect and beads up instead of adhering properly.

I have primed resin miniatures in gesso many times efore and there's no reason it shouldn't work this time. The resin does not appear to be sweating - it is very slightly waxy to the touch, but not damp or sticky or anything else.

For a variety of reasons I can't use aerosol primers, so please, no suggestions of "just go buy car primer, duh." or the like. I'm no good with those can anyway and would just glop it.

Is there anything else I could use to try and wash off the release agent or aid in adhesion?

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
Re: Having a spot of bother with (probably) mold release agent...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 07:30:56 AM »
Seems to me any mold release would have been removed after washing three times.

Is it possible that the resin isn't fully cured?

Sometimes, it appears that it is, but is a little soft to the touch.  I'm thinking that could possibly be the problem.

The only solution I can think of, if that is the case, is to brush on a little  liquid resin curing agent to the outside of the mini, just to be sure.

Before doing that though, I suggest you get some opinions from others, especially those that work with resin, to make sure my recommendation doesn't ruin your mini.

Good luck!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 07:41:48 AM »
I am fairly certain it is fully cured. The resin is not soft at all - it is completely hard with no give.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 07:44:59 AM »
Use car primer...

;)

It does sound like the resin hasn't fully cured though, could be a bad batch used by the caster. Is it a new purchase or an old one?

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 07:58:02 AM »
Depends on how you define old. Maybe six or eight months ago?

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 09:22:45 AM »
Depends on how you define old. Maybe six or eight months ago?
6 or 8 months is not enough time for the resin to degrade.  If it sat on the shelf for eight to ten years you might have some trouble.  My guess is that it was a bad mix like Mr. Bibbly mentioned before.  My two options would be to dip the figure in Future floor polish and see if the beading happens again.  If it does rinse immediately to remove the excess.  If it works make sure the Future does not pool up and let it set.  That will give you a hard acrylic surface to prime onto with guesso.  The second option is to use super glue.  Drop a drop onto the surface, blow it around to remove/spread out the excess and repeat until it is covered.  Again it will give you a hard acrylic surface to prime onto.  My two cents but if it is a bad mix from the manufacture you can run into other problems over time (e.g. overall part weakness, sweating etc.).  Hope that helps.
Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 11:33:22 AM »
Had the same problem with some critical mass buildings.
Left them to soak in dish water for 24 hrs and sanded the greasy spots with 1500 sandpaper.
Primer holds, but I can't use masking tape as it tears everything loose. (Tamiya masking tape applied to my sweater first for even less bond...)
 >:(

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 04:58:07 PM »
6 or 8 months is not enough time for the resin to degrade.  If it sat on the shelf for eight to ten years you might have some trouble.  My guess is that it was a bad mix like Mr. Bibbly mentioned before.  My two options would be to dip the figure in Future floor polish and see if the beading happens again.  If it does rinse immediately to remove the excess.  If it works make sure the Future does not pool up and let it set.  That will give you a hard acrylic surface to prime onto with guesso.  The second option is to use super glue.  Drop a drop onto the surface, blow it around to remove/spread out the excess and repeat until it is covered.  Again it will give you a hard acrylic surface to prime onto.  My two cents but if it is a bad mix from the manufacture you can run into other problems over time (e.g. overall part weakness, sweating etc.).  Hope that helps.
Snitchy sends.

Superglue, I have. That was pretty much what I was thinking of doing as a desperation measure. I'd be willing to sacrifice a cheap brush to clear away any pools (this sculpt has many many deep cracks and crevices), so that's fine. I'll probably give that a whirl.

I doubt I'll be able to get a replacement and there's really no other figure that looks like this one, so I've got to work with what I've got.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 08:46:35 PM »
Superglue, I have. That was pretty much what I was thinking of doing as a desperation measure. I'd be willing to sacrifice a cheap brush to clear away any pools (this sculpt has many many deep cracks and crevices), so that's fine. I'll probably give that a whirl.
Don't worry about pools.  If you get a can of compressed air it will create a real thin layer and the pools will simply spread then blow away.  I would try the Future first though.  Less drastic and less prone to mishaps.   Here is a link for Future in your country of choice.   http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html  Again it is less drastic and does not dry instantly. 
Snitchy sends.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 04:06:25 AM »
It's okay, I think I have some Future that Sangennaru gave me. I just need to remember where I put it...