Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:53:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Large 28mm Darkest Africa Gallery  (Read 41863 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Large 28mm Darkest Africa Gallery
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2015, 04:29:46 AM »
Your kind words are warming this old guy's heart!  Thanks so very much for writing... I really appreciate it.  By the way, we have increased the size of the pictures in the African Gallery on my website.  They are not huge, but bigger than before.  I hope we will be able to go back and do that to all of the galleries... may take a little time. Richard

I'm forced to look through them again now then!  8)

Darrell.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2015, 12:03:14 AM »
Darrell, hope you enjoy the second look.  A couple years ago when we changed all the galleries over to the slideshow setup, the result was the smaller picture size.  Don't know why.  We've managed to increase the size of the Africa pics making them about half again bigger than before.  Not huge but an improvement.  Hope we can do the same with the other galleries.  Thanks again for looking.  Richard

Offline odd duck

• Scientist
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2015, 01:19:31 AM »
Incredible collection of pic.s there :o :o I'm sure I'll be back to visit your site regularly to pilfer Ideas lol

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2015, 02:12:39 AM »
Richard, while I held my tongue, if I'd had one quibble with your gallery, it was picture size and, now, without even asking, you've fixed it.  Naturally, the only reason it was a quibble is because I wanted to see more.  :o Off for yet another fine excursion down your lovely safari!

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2015, 02:54:55 PM »
odd duck, thank you, and I hope you find some stuff in my gallery that you can use.  Let me also suggest that you take a look at Darkest Africa Force Publique by Dr Mathias on the LAF Workbench.  He has done some beautiful stuff... well worth the viewing.  FifteensAway, I really am looking forward to your Africa in 15mm, and I hope you enjoy many viewing of my Darkest Africa and that those viewing serve you well.  I also hope that over time we will find a way to discover how to further increase the pic size of my galleries while keeping the slideshow format.  It's better now than it was just a few days ago but still not what it was prior to the slideshow.  I do know that people have found ways to increase individual pics once they has been called up... I've seen it done, but never was exactly sure what got clicked to do it (part of being an old guy I guess). Anyway, thanks to both of you for the generous comments and for taking the time to write.  Richard

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2015, 04:00:13 PM »
We're going to Disneyland this evening when my wife gets home from work.  We will be taking the Jungle Cruise!  Richard

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2015, 12:28:14 AM »
So jealous, thought that was one of the highlights of our visit a couple of years back. My partner was amazed as it was my choice of North American holiday finish and she thoroughly enjoyed our 2 days in the parks.

holiday finish
We're going to Disneyland this evening when my wife gets home from work.  We will be taking the Jungle Cruise!  Richard
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2015, 03:59:12 AM »
Poiter50, we had a wonderful night at Disneyland.  From our home to the entrance of the Magic Kingdom is only about a 30-minute drive.  We have always enjoyed the place so we have the annual passes.  Last night was one of those great nights when all the lines were short.  February is known as one of the least crowded months at the park… between the winter holidays and the college spring break period.  The evening air was cool but not cold, and both Pirates of the Caribbean and the Jungle Cruise were basically walk-ons.  The first time I took the Jungle Cruise was back in 1955 when the park opened.  It has been my favorite ever since.  After all these years there are no surprises, but it never fails to put a smile on my face.  Richard

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2015, 05:34:38 PM »
And a very congenial face you have, sir.  Now, I just might recognize you at a con. 

You have inspired me to get busier on my own Africa set up but don't get over excited about seeing it too soon.  Part of why I like yours so much is you've put plenty of effort to populating your gallery with animals. 

With what I have, about 150 I've painted and more than that unpainted or prepainted (plastics, mostly), and what I plan to buy, I've got a target of about 720 animals!  Herds, folks, herds; plus diversity.  And in 15 mm so a lot "easier" and somewhat less expensive.  The challenge is finding things.  I'm on the hunt for chimpanzees, baboons, and cape buffalo at the moment.  And more gazelles and antelopes for those herds.

And then there are the people to paint.  I'm so thankful for Blue Moon's range - so much that could not be done without their offerings.  So, while I'm inspired to work on it, it is rather large despite being in a smaller scale.

Oh, I'm also on the lookout for more buildings to improve that side of the collection.  I do have plenty of water craft, however, just need to finish them.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2015, 09:45:51 PM »
I've learnt that these large collections take time and love. There's no way to rush it, so just have mini projects that add to the large one.

Richard - the wife saw the picture on my screen; when I explained where you were she knew straight away you were a wargamer. We're simple creatures :).
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2015, 01:55:39 AM »
I picked up some water buffalo on Ebay some time back, they might suit for your Cape Buffalo. Chinese seller IIRC.

And a very congenial face you have, sir.  Now, I just might recognize you at a con. 

You have inspired me to get busier on my own Africa set up but don't get over excited about seeing it too soon.  Part of why I like yours so much is you've put plenty of effort to populating your gallery with animals. 

With what I have, about 150 I've painted and more than that unpainted or prepainted (plastics, mostly), and what I plan to buy, I've got a target of about 720 animals!  Herds, folks, herds; plus diversity.  And in 15 mm so a lot "easier" and somewhat less expensive.  The challenge is finding things.  I'm on the hunt for chimpanzees, baboons, and cape buffalo at the moment.  And more gazelles and antelopes for those herds.

And then there are the people to paint.  I'm so thankful for Blue Moon's range - so much that could not be done without their offerings.  So, while I'm inspired to work on it, it is rather large despite being in a smaller scale.

Oh, I'm also on the lookout for more buildings to improve that side of the collection.  I do have plenty of water craft, however, just need to finish them.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2015, 03:12:40 AM »
Poiter 50, were these suitable for 15 mm and do they have the distinct horns of the African Cape Buffalo?  I ask because I have some 15 mm water buffalo but they are much more suited for southeast asia than Africa.  I'm hoping to get a more appropriate grouping of little beasties.  Either way, thanks for the input.

Oh, and on that 720 number, I'm already just a bit north of 500 in my possession and I'm sorting another order for Irregular in the not too distant future (after USA tax time, though, for sure!).  Most of that 500 is either finished or well in process with a modest portion only cleaned and primed and pre-based ready for paint.  Whether I achieve that goal of 720 depends of finding certain critters.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 03:18:01 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2015, 04:25:29 AM »
I suspect they are more Asian Buffalo rather than a specific Cape Buff.

Poiter 50, were these suitable for 15 mm and do they have the distinct horns of the African Cape Buffalo?  I ask because I have some 15 mm water buffalo but they are much more suited for southeast asia than Africa.  I'm hoping to get a more appropriate grouping of little beasties.  Either way, thanks for the input.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2015, 04:54:17 PM »
Fifteensaway, it is funny/ironic how these African collections can become a hunt for animals… a safari of a kind.  I spent years putting my African collection together and since most of the animals were purchased out of tubs of broken toys at the swap meet, it really was a hunt.  Blue Moon 15mm/18mm really has been a great gift to those of us who love the smaller scale and want a flavor/depth to our collections that is greater than just nice regiments.  I waited years hoping for the opportunity to doing a 15mm FIW collection, but it wasn’t until Blue Moon 15mm/18mm came out with its extensive line that I found what I was looking for.  Now I am deep into that collection and loving every minute of it.  All my best wishes to you in your hunt, and as I’ve said before I look forward to seeing the pictures.
von Lucky, your wife’s assessment of me is only half right but the error is easily understood as I am deep into the miniatures and have been for decades, but alas I am not a gamer.  On the other hand I admit to being a simple creature.   As to your comment about these big collection taking time and love, I would agree completely.  Depending on the size of the project, I am spending between six months and a year painting and building, but as much as a decade collecting and planning… really dreaming.  During those long periods of collecting and dreaming other projects become ready for the brush and their journey from my dream world to the world of the table and my daughter’s camera eye.  For me it has been a wonderful process full of small adventures and the joy of doing something that really makes me happy. Richard

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2015, 01:10:16 AM »
Richard, who produced the steam boat the Hinterland ladies are crewing ?