Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:02:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690879
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Duke Donald's entry - progress update 08 March  (Read 19938 times)

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
Duke Donald's entry - progress update 08 March
« on: February 01, 2015, 08:30:19 PM »
Placeholder ... stuff to come soon
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 08:10:44 AM by Duke Donald »

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
Re: The fire Temple of Doom
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 09:00:58 PM »
It took me quite a while to think about what I wanted to do. In addition to the constraints of the theme, I want to make sure the build is useful for gaming. Additionally, I've wanted for a long time to use LEDs. Thus expect loads of them!

I'll go for a fire temple of doom, partly inspired by Indiana Jones in the eponymous movie title but also want the cult to look more generically pulpy. I have a pretty clear idea of what I'd like to achieve and the project is modular, I'll start with a sacrificial altar, including the obligate damsel in distress and evil priest. Then I'll build the central platform with a grotesque idol, mindless minions and braziers (with LEDs inside !!!). I have another two extensions planned but won't describe them before I - hopefully - get there.

Finally, before I'm embarking on the project I want to clear my hobby desk. I don't have a lot of space for modelling and I know myself well enough to appreciate that everything I don't finish immediately ...I generally don't finish at all. Thus, I'm dealing with these guys and their truck first, but there is just just a hat/cap left to sculpt on the second guy from the left, some cleaning up and three of these guys to paint ...

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 10:02:12 PM »
Sounds interesting but please bear in mind that it's only one base for the comp (doesn't stop you from building the rest elsewhere)  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 10:34:31 AM »
Sounds interesting but please bear in mind that it's only one base for the comp (doesn't stop you from building the rest elsewhere)  Smiley

Thanks for the precision but no problem, the build will always be on a single base, except that I'll start form the core rather than the exterior, and each new addition will form a larger basis (like a wedding cake). This will ensure that if I run out of time, I should still have something to show.

Cheers,

Francois
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 12:43:24 AM by Duke Donald »

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 01:03:43 PM »
First (small) progress update. I started working on the altar, it's essentially a box at the moment but I put a candle on top to fit already with the theme  ;).

I've also started sourcing the stuff I need. It's been difficult so far as I moved recently and got rid of quite some stuff, and the rest is stored in random cardboard boxes. There is a lot of stuff I know I have somewhere but it is taking me ages to recover anything.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 08:40:56 PM »
Hah - lovely beginnings.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 09:42:58 PM »
Thanks for the encouragements Von Lucky.

A quick progress update as I'm traveling over the next three days. I started adding greenstuff. I'm also playing with some warhammer beastmen heads as decorations. I've got loads of them from an old project where I only used the torsos and arms. I'm still unsure how many and where to put them. Initially I thought I would add one on top of each mini-pillar, including in the corners, but I'm now wondering whether it won't be too much. feedback welcome.

And looking at the photos, I realise I have some details to fix before the greenstuff dries ...

« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 09:57:57 PM by Duke Donald »

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 06:39:47 AM »
Those heads look great as wall decorations.  Nice!

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 08:44:35 AM »
Photo one is my preference.

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
Re: The fire Temple of Doom - another box
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 08:52:05 AM »
After three days away from home, I found some time to work on the project. So, I built another box:

... and it really is a box, everything on top will be magnetised so that the whole thing takes a minimum of space and can be stacked:

The four corks will be replaced by braziers, but I'm still waiting for the leds to arrive. The statue is an old GW mini, which I found in my pile of lead.

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
Re: The fire Temple of Doom - a box with some walls
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 03:23:39 PM »
I have started working on walls and stairs. I also started having some second thoughts about the GW demon as a statue. I'm trying to find something slightly less OTT.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 10:13:16 AM by Duke Donald »

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
Re: The fire Temple of Doom - a box with some walls
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 03:51:29 PM »
looking good

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
Re: The fire Temple of Doom - a box with walls and stairs
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 12:52:32 AM »
Thanks Eric.

I had a productive day hobby-wise today and I learnt a few things, including that some glues melt styrofoam, something I should have known but  was quite a bad surprise. This prompted me to do some tests on what does and what doesn't melt foam and interestingly Tamiya spray doesn't.

Anyway, this is the build as it stands at the moment and it will stay like this until I get some superglue as I've run out. I'm still undecided on the statue/idol that will go on top, I quite like this one as I find it fits well with the "Zigguraty" look but I may still change my mind.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: The fire Temple of Doom - a box with walls and stairs
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 09:24:56 AM »
I like where you are going with this.
Very inspirational.
 8) 8)

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
Re: Duke Donald's entry - victim/temptress WIP
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 01:11:38 AM »
Thanks for the nice words Mason.

I didn't make as much progress as I'd hoped today. I got some work done on the altar and I started sculpting the mini that will go on top.

It's a challenging sculpt for me. I wanted her to be able to look as a victim, a temptress or a girl who removed her cloths because of the heat before going for a nap. I decided to go down that route as she will probably be the only human mini in the entry and I hope to convey a sense of mistery about the scene. I also find naked figures to be far more difficult to sculpt than clothed/armoured ones, as any sculpting error immediately shows. I still have a lot of work to do on her but I feel she is OK so far.