Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:48:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689255
  • Total Topics: 118266
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Ancient Chinese Warring States / Qin Dynasty 28mm miniatures  (Read 17688 times)

Offline WatchfuliStudio

• Assistant
The first painted models of our Warrings States range
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2015, 09:09:25 PM »
The first two miniatures painted for my new product range. Kickstarter is live if you want in on the action. :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2104924145/28mm-ancient-chinese-warring-states-qin-dynasty-mi

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: New Ancient Chinese Warring States / Qin Dynasty 28mm miniatures
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2015, 10:27:14 PM »
Great to see the 10 figure half packs now listed. Will certainly be getting a few of the Xian guys to use in D&D games.

Offline Freelancer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2015, 10:10:44 AM »
Looking good

Offline WatchfuliStudio

• Assistant
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2015, 02:36:35 PM »
I updated the original post. Thanks

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2015, 09:04:30 PM »
Congratulations on reaching funding.

But I have to say I am really disappointed in the WIP Terracotta Warriors. The sculpts do not capture the look of the artwork at all, nor do they look remotely like the statues on which the idea is based.
Sorry but I think those are very poor.

Offline WatchfuliStudio

• Assistant
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2015, 09:25:08 PM »
I would be interested to hear how you would correct the sculpts. The Terracotta Warriors in real life are standing with no weapons and have the same armor and and clothing as the real life counter-parts. So, with that being said people could just paint the existing infantry sculpts we have in a terracotta color and be done with it. What we are trying to achieve is a more fantasy reanimated look showing 'battle' damage, weathering, chips, etc. We tried a few other options to make the Terracotta Warriors look more like they were assembled in pieces and it didn't look quite right.

I am completely open to suggestions at this point because we are not past the point of no return and I actually do appreciate the feedback. We wanted to give them a different pose than the normal soldiers so there is some distinction. There is a part of me that thinks seeing the miniatures painted would help in this instance but we want people to be happy with our work. We know we won't make everyone happy but we can at least try. :)

Thanks

Congratulations on reaching funding.

But I have to say I am really disappointed in the WIP Terracotta Warriors. The sculpts do not capture the look of the artwork at all, nor do they look remotely like the statues on which the idea is based.
Sorry but I think those are very poor.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2015, 09:28:13 PM »
To me they ones shown in your update are too "complete" and too "mobile"

I imagine them more as a slowly shuffling mass of roughly human sized/shaped soldiers, more broken and incomplete than complete. Some with weapons some without.
Missing heads, arms etc, some just torso and head, bodies with gaping holes and missing chunks rather than superficial scratches and cracks. Warriors as they were when discovered in Xian rather than when first buried.

More akin to a summoned earth elemental force than re-animated people. Standing or barely moving rather than striding about. Possibly even less detailed sculpts.
I think the concept art captured much more the look I was hoping for; obviously incomplete, less animated and looking like barely mobile statues.

BUT, all that said, I would have picked up a half set to use as elementals in oriental adventure D&D type games but am not a 28mm mass battle gamer so am not your target market for these models.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 09:29:51 PM by robh »