Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:54:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Shack Attack!  (Read 2493 times)

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
Shack Attack!
« on: February 04, 2015, 06:37:46 AM »
I recently built these 15mm buildings.

I'm not quite sure what they are exactly. Might be GZG from back when they still did resin casting (they are resin).

I added the bases from plasticard (and strengthened some of the roofs as well, they were quite thin in places), but otherwise they are stock. A little more attention to detail would probably make them look better, but I just wanted to get these off my desk.
Small Cuts - a miniatures webzine - www.smallcuts.net

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Shack Attack!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 07:05:13 AM »
Quick but effective.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 07:32:40 AM »
Nice work!

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 11:46:36 AM »
Yes, they look good. For details, I would go for a few wooden planks and old tires on the roofs, and the shacks can get more character by adding signs for a bar or market.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 11:53:02 AM »
They are very sweet pieces of scenery! Great work!

Offline Lysander

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 12:46:57 PM »
Battle Works Studios.  Unless something has changed they closed 3-4 years ago.

I substituted the plastic supporting rods that came with the kits with brass rods which made it a bit sturdier.  Really nice kits.

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 07:17:28 AM »
Battle Works Studios.  Unless something has changed they closed 3-4 years ago.

I substituted the plastic supporting rods that came with the kits with brass rods which made it a bit sturdier.  Really nice kits.

Yea, I was kinda wondering about those because I didn't have any instructions or reference pictures. Maybe they were intended to support a sunscreen or camo net of some sort?

It's interesting to note that the models look very much "built" rather than "sculpted". It's pretty obvious that the masters were built from plasticard, rods etc. and then moulded. I'm saying this because I sure can't sculpt -- but I could scratch something like this if needs be.

Offline Lysander

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 08:27:23 AM »
Yea, I was kinda wondering about those because I didn't have any instructions or reference pictures. Maybe they were intended to support a sunscreen or camo net of some sort?

It's interesting to note that the models look very much "built" rather than "sculpted". It's pretty obvious that the masters were built from plasticard, rods etc. and then moulded. I'm saying this because I sure can't sculpt -- but I could scratch something like this if needs be.

Primarily, they were intended as "slots" for the roof pieces which could be removed in play. They really didn't seem to be intended to support sunscreens or camo nets, though I am sure they could quite nicely.  Good idea.

The concept, as I understood it, was that the shacks were remnants of spaceship parts.  Somewhere I have pictures of the studio shots which show multicolored roof pieces and 15mm GZG figs as part of the terrain.  

It's unfortunate they went out of business because, outside of GZG, I am not sure anyone has done sci-fi shacks quite as well in 15mm scale.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 08:31:38 AM by Lysander »

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 09:48:28 AM »
AFAIK they are still available from Monday Knight Productions, who put them back into production a year or two ago.

I've got the full set from when they first came out from  Battle Works eons ago. One day I'll get around to photographing them properly......
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:51:03 AM by Etranger »
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 11:16:27 AM »
Primarily, they were intended as "slots" for the roof pieces which could be removed in play.

The concept, as I understood it, was that the shacks were remnants of spaceship parts.  

Hmmm... I glued on all the roofs for the buildings with open sides. I only left the completely enclosed ones unglued, because usually the separate roofs are kind of a hassle, especially if they are unique... and most of the interior spaces are too small for the FoW bases I use anyways...

I think they got the theme down nicely. I certainly got the "crashed spaceship" vibe without any prior knowlegde about these.