Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:49:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Xhosa, Ninth Cape War, Special Rules?  (Read 16328 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Xhosa, Ninth Cape War, Special Rules?
« on: February 05, 2015, 10:06:17 AM »
Hi,

I've had one of my bright ideas again!! To make use of the Empress miniatures range and to keep it all at a skirmish level i've decided to delve into the Eighth Cape War in South Africa.

Whilst I'm waiting for some literature to arrive I was rather hoping that someone could help me with the Special Rules for both the Brits and the Xhosa?

I understand that a lot of this particular war was fought in quite dense foliage so rules for the Brits being a bit skittish may well be a good thing?

Also, what Special Rules might the Xhosa have? It might be just a little too convenient to just give them the attributes of the Zulu Nation methinks.

Thanks,
Darrell.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 01:22:41 PM by Atheling »

Offline Sirius

• Bookworm
    • Small Wars in Southern Africa
Re: Xhosa, Eighth Cape War, Special Rules?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 11:48:11 AM »
Good call. You have avoided the trap that was Chelmsford's undoing - the belief that the Xhosa and the Zulu fought in the same way.

Agree on nervous Brits. Some encounters were fought in true forest foliage in the Amatola mountains (used as a refuge for the Xhosa), but even the "open" terrain in the Eastern Cape is somewhat dense woodland thicket and scrub (Google "Albany thicket"). I would think the rules should reflect the Xhosa ability to strike and "melt away" very quickly.

Am interested in what figures are you planning to use for the Xhosa? And the Mfengu? And the Provincials - CMR etc? (Boers and Brit regulars seem well enough covered in 28mm)?

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 12:00:49 PM »
I've been interested in this conflict myself. It's been at the back of my mind though. British regulars are sorted, hadn't even started thinking what I'd use for the Xhosa..  ;)

I was hoping to find a use for all the jungle I'll be making later in the year.  ;)
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 12:07:16 PM »
Good call. You have avoided the trap that was Chelmsford's undoing - the belief that the Xhosa and the Zulu fought in the same way.

I'd make a great Late Victorian General..... in retrospect  lol

Agree on nervous Brits.

Yeah, but what could I use as a rule? It's kind of got me stumped  o_o. Not a particularly difficult feat  lol

Some encounters were fought in true forest foliage in the Amatola mountains (used as a refuge for the Xhosa), but even the "open" terrain in the Eastern Cape is somewhat dense woodland thicket and scrub (Google "Albany thicket").

I got some good pics from Google so thanks  8) .

Am interested in what figures are you planning to use for the Xhosa? And the Mfengu? And the Provincials - CMR etc? (Boers and Brit regulars seem well enough covered in 28mm)?
[/quote]

I was looking at the re-vamped Xhosa from First Corp (Curteys Miniatures):

http://www.1stcorps.co.uk/buy-online/c/1st-corps-figures/19th-century/cape-wars/supplement-packs/

...... and as it's only a skirmish thing I'm looking at possibly converting some of the Copplestone Ngoni Warriors:

http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/range.php?range=DA

After looking at the pics of the Brits on google i'm now unsure if the Empress range would do??

Darrell.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 12:09:20 PM »
Pics of Xhosa:

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 12:11:10 PM »
Now Terrain:

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 12:15:35 PM »
I think there are articles you can take a look at on wargames illustrated pages.

aside from First Corps I think an aussie company also made Xhosa, castaway or some such.

I am funnily enough converting the first corps infantry to be used for Maori wars and have used of all things Warlord Tam O Shanter heads on the bodies.

The only thing different is the webbing as the Brits in Africa seem to have used belly pouches for ammo.

Rules wise I would take a look at French Indian wars rules such as this very ground or even Muskets and Tomahawks. Used both and they work for Maori wars very well also used former for warfare in Brazil, again work well for ambush type game sand irregular warfare

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 12:21:02 PM »
The only thing different is the webbing as the Brits in Africa seem to have used belly pouches for ammo.

I think I can safely overlook that one..... imagine converting the mini's!!?? Cut, putty, cut, putty... pray it looks OK  lol

Rules wise I would take a look at French Indian wars rules such as this very ground or even Muskets and Tomahawks. Used both and they work for Maori wars very well also used former for warfare in Brazil, again work well for ambush type game sand irregular warfare

That's not a bad idea but I do like Triumph and Tragedy for it's quirkiness.

Darrell.

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 01:16:47 PM »
After looking at the pics of the Brits on google i'm now unsure if the Empress range would do??

If you want to use your Zulu War Brits then you want the 9th Cape Frontier War, rather than the 8th.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 01:22:12 PM »
If you want to use your Zulu War Brits then you want the 9th Cape Frontier War, rather than the 8th.

Oh.....  lol lol

Whoopzeeee......

Darrell.

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
Re: Xhosa, Ninth Cape War, Special Rules?
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 01:36:54 PM »
The scene on the cover of this Osprey book is a representation of Brits in the 9th War...

I think the Empress figures would be fine. Their uniforms got pretty messed up by the rough terrain, so you can go to town making them look scruffy too, if you feel that way inclined (the Warlord plastics would be good for this, some heads already come with straw hats instead of helmets).

The famous sketches of the 24th looking like ragged scarecrows that you see in a lot of books on the Zulu War were actually drawn during the 9th Frontier War.

Edit: Oh, and by the time of the 9th War, many of the Xhosa (particularly the Ngqika) were dressed almost entirely in European-style clothing, so you could probably find some figures in the Darkest Africa range that could be pressed into service. These fellas spring to mind...

They could be Xhosa-ed up a bit if you wanted, by adding some feathers on their heads and such, but they'd probably do as they are.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 01:50:25 PM by Plynkes »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 02:02:27 PM »
So......

We've got the Foundry pack above.... what about these other packs from first Foundry and then North Star Plynkes {bearing in mind that two of the North Star packs are riflemen)?:

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 02:21:01 PM »
I'm no expert, but I think they'd do. Not sure if they'd have modern rifles, more likely muzzle-loaders. But that's a little thing you can easily overlook unless you are an absolute stickler. You might want to add a few embelishments, perhaps the odd fellow with a few back-up spears and such. And though the use of shields had for the main part ended by this time, a sprinkling of them would give them a bit more of a Xhosa character. They were reported as being used, and illustrations show a fair number of them, even when engaged in a long-range gun skirmish with the Brits.

Besides, Xhosa shields are cool...

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 05:01:31 PM »
I'm no expert, but I think they'd do. Not sure if they'd have modern rifles, more likely muzzle-loaders.

Possibly the (very) odd captured Henry Martini? I may include one pack from NS just to add some slight variation.

But that's a little thing you can easily overlook unless you are an absolute stickler. You might want to add a few embelishments, perhaps the odd fellow with a few back-up spears and such.

Ah, that's interesting, by this do you mean carrying them in hand or in a case like the Empress Native Horse? Or is this a question that is wildly up for debate?

And though the use of shields had for the main part ended by this time, a sprinkling of them would give them a bit more of a Xhosa character. They were reported as being used, and illustrations show a fair number of them, even when engaged in a long-range gun skirmish with the Brits.

I'll probably order some shields from NS then. Thnat way they can be used as markers if needed or added to the warriors (again, if needed).

Besides, Xhosa shields are cool...

[/quote]

indeed  :)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 05:52:53 PM »
Oh.....  lol lol

Whoopzeeee......

Darrell.

You threw me too I was thinking their maori war brits ;D