Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:04:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: UAV  (Read 2219 times)

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
UAV
« on: September 22, 2008, 12:11:20 PM »
Although meant for my US artillery, it must be useful for zombie spotting in infested cities, I guess. Started yesterday, done today. It's 20mm btw.

Some balsa, plasticcard and metal, and 2 or 3 pics to work with

And just for fun:

Comparison:

Johan
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
Re: UAV
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 12:59:04 PM »
that's rather good :)
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 01:10:21 PM »
Very nice. I am curious as to why it is sporting a Domino's Pizza logo, though. Are those things used to deliver pizza these days?  :)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline postal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 01:33:46 PM »
hey its to spot ahead for the delivery guy so he can find the best route so he can get there in 30 min and not get eaten by zombies :D

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
  • All your dice are belong to us
    • Prince Azalea's World of Wonders
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 01:35:37 PM »
hey its to spot ahead for the delivery guy so he can find the best route so he can get there in 30 min and not get eaten by zombies :D

If you're delivery boy gets eaten by zombies and therefore the pizza arrives late, do you get it for free? :D

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 02:16:57 PM »
Hehe, I actually nicked the idea from a photo I saw ages ago (and never saved) from a helo...I think... which had this painted on the side. It's more of a pun on the "Delivery in 30 minutes" part due to what follows the little UAV when it spots something worth bombing back to the Stone Age, really.

But again, can be really handy to see where the zombies are surrounding your building :)

Keeper: Only if you go out and retrieve the pizza. Good luck.

Offline earthdog

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 03:47:17 PM »
Nice one,

are you going to do one of those short range Hovereye or CPX4 quadrocopter as well?

BTW from the looks of it you've used a pen to trace the panel-lines? If you make a small cut with a knife you'll and up with a straighter line.

Don't get me wrong though, it a great idea.
Tank? Vot kind of dumbkopf name is that for a Schutzengrabenvernichtungspanzer?

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 04:24:52 PM »
A UAV would be useful for Stargate gaming as well. I seem to recall they used those things repeatedly in the show.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 04:35:52 PM »
Nice one,

are you going to do one of those short range Hovereye or CPX4 quadrocopter as well?

BTW from the looks of it you've used a pen to trace the panel-lines? If you make a small cut with a knife you'll and up with a straighter line.

Don't get me wrong though, it a great idea.

Maybe, it depends on the  need of the group this is for, if there is an interest or not. We'll see. Though I must say this looks like something I could build in a few minutes http://www.defense-update.com/products/c/cpx4.htm but I can't find a decent shot of the Hovereye. Both are too modern for the groups needs, maybe I can interest the Iraqi bunch in one of them.

On my custom models, I do all my panel lines by hand, with a very fine brush, depending on the look I'm after it looks like what you are looking at now, a bit ragged, or like this:

I avoid cutting into my models to make panel lines, as you can do this very badly very easily, and I hate having to fix things when I'm on a roll. Plus whenever someone wants the model to recast it, panel lines are such a drag for one offs.

And always remember, photographs of models bring them much closer to the eye in real life lol

Offline earthdog

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 09:49:51 AM »
Hovereye can be found here: http://www.defense-update.com/products/h/hovereye.htm
Of course I don't know what period you intended this for but if it's the wrong period it's the wrong period.

And always remember, photographs of models bring them much closer to the eye in real life
that depends upon how nearsighted you are, but yes on the tabletop you won't be able to tell.

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 10:15:59 AM »
that depends upon how nearsighted you are

According to my last test I'm still -10 in both eyes, and slowly getting worse  lol

Thx for the link, odd little thing, but looks like not a problem to copy it one way or  another.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 10:02:28 PM »
Nice work!

A UAV or two is on my todo list, but that looks spot on!
 :)