Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:13:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690823
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 735
Total: 739

Recent

Author Topic: Raid on the Fergusson Farm - song of Drums & Tomahawks  (Read 22926 times)

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
Raid on the Fergusson Farm - song of Drums & Tomahawks
« on: February 09, 2015, 03:31:18 PM »
hey guys,

Lot of fun to play this scenario (battle report in french on my blog but the use of the translation button could help)... lol

Looks like that  ! In more bloody.

Cheers
Frenchy Eric
Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[

Offline Orange

• Student
Re: Raid on the Fergusson Farm - song of Drums & Tomahawks
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 01:12:29 AM »
Sounded like a cool scenario, I've been wanting to do something similar myself. The models and scenery look great.

I know what you mean about trying to balance the rules of the models so that it is an interesting game, maybe you could have made one of the frontiersmen a leader? It does help a lot with reloading.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 01:59:23 AM »
Love the battle report.
Looks like you had a lot of fun.
It looks like you have a good idea as how the rules work.
I hope to see more.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 03:01:27 AM »
Great report! I'm glad you had fun. Designing balanced scenarios can be a challenge. I am always adjusting mine to produce the maximum amount of fun and the best chance for both sides to win.

One note: I would not require every Indian to have "Strong," but it is a good trait to use for them. Of course, when going up against Weak civilians who also have Poor Shot, it could get ugly...ha, ha! But then again, that would probably be historical. I agree that you have to make a judgement call on who to classify as a Civilian or who to count as a Frontiersman. But you are designing the scenario, so do what feels right and provides a good game.

If you don't mind, I will link your After Action Report on our "Battle Reports" page on our website...

Feel free to ask questions about scenario design, or the rules. Thanks for giving them a test -- hope your friends had a good time!

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 07:52:17 AM »
hey guys,

My friends were please with the game. no problems with it. Many thanks to Pascal who get the battle report fast.
The 3th table scenario could be give more trouble to the Hurons if it was played. Lost the canoes will put the hurons in very difficult situation....

I think that for some scenarios purpose, some traits could be given or not. Civilians don't react the same if they are in open or fortified into their farm.
In the same way, the "Horrible death" that exist in SOBH could be use for some civilians (new in the country) when they see an indian taking scalp. That could be too gore for a guy coming from europe recently....
etc....

The SOBH rule engine is so flexible that the possibility is endless.

Mike, thanks for your support. take any information you need on my blog...
 ;)

Cheers
Eric

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 04:42:57 AM »
Thanks, Eric! I have your blog linked from our Battle Reports page on our First Command Wargames website. Check it out here:
http://www.firstcommandwargames.com/battle-reports.html

There is something so appropriate about having a battle report from France using rules covering the French & Indian War...!  lol

Thanks for the write-up!

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com

Offline sespe

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 05:54:46 AM »
Neat idea of linked scenarios! And the balance could have gone the other way if you had sent more braves against the militia, leaving less to attack the farm.

Google translate isn't perfect, but I think I got the gist of your idea about reloading.  I too agree that even the most fumble-figured idiot can eventually get his musket into action.  Is this what you are thinking?

reloading:  it takes 2 consecutive actions to reload.  After the second turnover caused by failure to activate, the musket is considered loaded (but the turnover still occurs).

What happens if I keep rolling 2 dice for activation but only get 1 success each time? 

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 07:49:21 AM »
thanks for the comments guys. :)

For the moment, we don't have test anything about "reload" system. That was only ideas about it.
For an another example, we can think about a character (like a woman) who reload for her husband and give him the musket reloaded.

A rule like :

1st idea : "if they are in base contact during all the turn, the woman give a bonus to the Quality of her husband for reloading actions."

2nd idea : "if they are in base contact during all the turn, the woman get a bonus to the Quality for reloading actions. Her husband can take her the gun for 1 action."

or something like that

???

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 02:39:20 PM »
There are rules in Songs of Drums and Shakos that is basically just what you just said. The Front rank fire and the second rank pass their muskets forward, so if you have two ranks the back rank can be loading while the front rank fire.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 02:46:52 PM »
ah ?

i don't remember that when i read that rules....

I'll drop an eye as soon as it's possible    :P

thanks for the info

Eric

Offline sespe

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 04:49:36 PM »
It's under 'group actions'.  Still requires the 2 consecutive actions, though.  I think I'll allow it for civilian pairs, as long as they are the same Q. 

"Okay, Farmer Tom and his wife are group-activating with a shoot & reload". 

As long as they make 2 successes, they can put out a shot each turn.  But only get 1 success? Farmer Tom takes the shot and then they stand there staring at each other with two empty muskets!

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 11:14:49 AM »
hey sespe,

Thank you for the info.

one another solution is to create a trait like  ???:

* Fast reloader (+1 to Q for reloading purpose only) : Always 2 actions but more easily to complete but costing points. Any
                                                                   weapons
                                                                   We stay in the original rules wanted by the authors.
or
* Fast reloader - Musket (for example) : Same as above but only for a definite weapon. In this case "Musket".
                                                    Could be heavy and unrealistic. If you can reload a musket, you can do it with a
                                                    pistol or a rifle, i mean.     
or
* Firearm handling  : 1 action for reloading. Cost more points. A professional soldier knows how to use his weapon.
                            But that's going against the choise of the authors.

any other ideas ?

Cheers
Eric   

Offline sespe

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 02:23:51 AM »
I like the reloader idea!  Maybe cost it less than "elan" as it only affects reloading.  But would you have to declare "reloading" before rolling for activation?

My idea is "two fails then pass".  After the second time a figure double-fails and craps out, he is considered reloaded.  You must attempt a double-activation both times.  For example, Running Otter rolls 3 dice, gets a double fail.  He can do 1 action and then play passes.  Next turn he tries to reload again, gets another double fail.  Play passes to the opponent again, but next turn Running Otter is considered reloaded.

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 05:10:16 PM »
hey,
To keep the rules playable, i think we must avoid the book keeping of actions for following turns.
that's too heavy.

any way, if there is a supplement (with Ohio and beaver wars), we need more special rules.
Like some of Song of Drums and Shako as :
* Fervor : For Catholic Priest (colons) and/or shaman (indians).
* Second in command : Very useful for small war party (and reloading actions too).
* Hero : could be usefull

etc... ;D

hugh !

Cheers
Eric

Offline sespe

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 02:34:47 AM »
Eric,

Good point!  The beauty of all "songs of" rules is their simplicity. 

I think a 'fast reloader' rule would be good.  Cost it less than 'elan', and you can't take both.  I already give all my frontiersmen elan as they tend to operate solo. 

For SDS I made a house rule:  NCO:  can give group fire orders only, not group move orders.