Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:01:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690860
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 40k Orks. Thinking of taking the plunge  (Read 8165 times)

Offline The-closet-gamer

• Librarian
40k Orks. Thinking of taking the plunge
« on: February 11, 2015, 04:45:30 PM »
I'm thinking, just thinking mind of starting an Ork warband as I'm slowly, and I do mean slowly started getting back to GW. The last time was when the Dark Eldar (sometime in 2011?)were rereleased. That was about the last White Dwarf I bought and I've been buying WD from issue 78. ( this new WD sucks balls )

I've always had a thing for the green skins but what put me of was the comedy value. It was only when Gorkamorka was released that I started to get interested ( Dave Moore and myself took the GW Meadowhall's shop mob to the limit of insanity ). Then 40k 3rd ed was released and the new Ork codex just took what had been built from Gorkamorka and put it in the  cupboard and locked it away. So I again lost interest. Plus they got rid of the clans and where all Goffs only with the speed freaks making an appearance in Armageddon codex.

So several years on, have they evolved any further. Is it worth me dropping a fear hundred quid on a new army or just buying something else?

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass....and I'm all out of bubblegum. No wait I've just found another pack in my back pocket. Mmm tropical fruit bubblicious.

Offline Gun bunny

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: 40k Orks. Thinking of taking the plunge
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 07:27:35 PM »
he is right about the prices becoming prohibitive to most players, i have gone back to rt era 1st edition with add-ons from other editions that i found interesting and making up stuff...the thing of of wonder (to me) about 1st ed.  :D ;D 8) :o lol

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 08:57:21 PM »
I think over the years Orks dropped a few IQ points, got a bit bigger and a lot cruder, and basically became the parody version (or imperial propaganda version) of what they were in RT and 2nd edition.  If you want a bunch of idiots with speech impediments, Huge Weapons, and metal plates bolted to everything but the kitchen sink, you'll love the current orks, if not they might not be your thing  ;) ;D :P

Offline whiskey priest

• Scientist
    • the Leadpile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 09:00:28 PM »
Yep, I would agree with everybody so far, go old school and you won't regret it. I've got a whole RT era army waiting to be painted including tin boys, mad boys and dreads! Get over to the old hammer forum as well to see how it's done!

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 09:25:32 PM »
On the free wargames rules sites is a set called 'One page kill team' I am told it allows you to play with a few GW miniatures a side. It might be worth a look if you want to paint a few of the new figures.

Offline Pizzagrenadier

• Librarian
    • Pizzagrenadier's Miniature Wargaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 10:44:49 PM »
Take the plunge. I have been working on a big Ork project and I really like the new models. I do have one caveat though: I don't play the 40k rules (I use my own-Disposable Heroes-modified for 40k).

I am a fan of the Orks going all the way back to Thrugg Bullneck's Ork Raiders in Rogue Trader. I loved most of the incarnations of the Orks with a few exceptions. But, while I am nostalgic for the days of Waaagh the Orks and Freebooter in spirit (especially of Paul Bonner's Orks), to be honest, I think the older models are just meh. Don't get me wrong, the nostalgia factor is fun, but I think the new models are nicer all around. I don't think the old stuff holds up except for nostalgia reasons. There are a lot of things I like about the old themes of the Orks from those days: the humor, the clans, Madboys, etc. etc.

With that said, I also think that there is absolutely no reason you can't have the best of both worlds. So my project aims to recreate the old spirit of the Orks using new models.

I didn't like when 4th edition took the clans away either. But you know what? Who cares...I do mine in clan colors (and I do believe in the latest incarnation, they brought the clans back. I added back plates to all of my boys and I proudly use blue on all my Deathskulls and will be using camo and fatigues on my Blood Axes. I plan to make my own Madboys for one.

The new plastics leave a lot of room to tinker and model and between that and the variety of after market companies like Spellcrow who sell Ork bits, there's no reason you can't dive into the new models if you like them and add some old school flavor to it. I understand some of the criticism of GW making the Orks dumber and more savage than they once were. But at the same time, I kind of like that in a way. I think at some points they were almost too comical (the pendulum of this has swung back and forth before). I like my Orks to be big, not too smart, savage, but also happy to be in battle and killin' oomies with a grin and an axe to the face. Don't really have a problem with how GW has changed them over the years because I've always been able to make 40k and the universe my own. I don't see why people wouldn't.

All except the prices. That does suck. And yeah, if price is a consideration...that might sink your project right there. But...keep an eye on eBay for deals and on Craigslist or places like that for people getting rid of old collections. I've scored a pretty big Ork force in some deals. I haven't really had to pay full price for much of my collection. I did splurge and order a Stompa the other day. I can't wait to put that sucker together. I want to make it a dual model and scenic bit to fight in and as an objective. That ought to be fun.

Here are my Orks, the Grimjaw Dakkagul tribe of Waagh Snagrod. Ready to take on the beakies of the Crimson Fists for control of Badlanding and Rynn's World.

http://thisveryblog.blogspot.com/2014/09/descent-back-into-madness.html

« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 11:59:54 PM by Pizzagrenadier »
Pizzagrenadier's Miniature Wargaming Blog:http://thisveryblog.blogspot.com

Instagram: Pizzagrenadier

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 11:02:48 PM »
I agree with all those saying "Go Old School!" I have put together a full ork army for 2nd edition 40K made out of Rogue Trader and 2nd edition models. Even paying outrageous prices on eBay it cost a fraction of what buying a new army would (and I personally do not like the current ork models). I can't comment on the current ork rules because I only play 2nd edition 40K!

There are photos of my orks on my blog if you are interested.

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 01:00:55 AM »
New models with old school spirit? Ebay is a great source of bored kid's unwanted figures! There's no reason you can't inject real personality into the new figures, take a look at CMON etc for ideas on colour schemes or simply gothe old school route painting/thematically. I think the studio paint jobs of the recent figures, while technically nice do make them seem too generic but there are some stunning new models!

I type this as an owner of a great many RT/2nd ed figures....

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 01:07:35 AM »
Nicely said, Pizzagrenadier and Andrew. :)

metal plates bolted to everything but the kitchen sink

They save the kitchen sinks to put on space marines' shoulders.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 01:09:40 AM by Vermis »

Offline Pizzagrenadier

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 01:50:56 AM »

I type this as an owner of a great many RT/2nd ed figures....

I should have added to my first post that I don't intend to disparage 2nd ed love. There has been a lot of great work on old school stuff around here and on other forums. It just isn't personally my thing. I like the aesthetics of the new stuff, I just still think like an old school 40k gamer in mind and spirit. I stopped playing the rules right before 4th came out and I only recently got back into the models this past year.

Whatever you choose to do, I think you'll have a lot of options and a lot of work around here to inspire you. Please keep us posted on how it goes.

Offline The-closet-gamer

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 04:51:40 PM »
Looked on GW web site....... How f**king much. WTF. How are they still operating as a retailer. I know from being an ex staffer that they did make millions back in the day but taking into account costing such as wagers, utility bill, material cost and the such they came out with only a few million quid that was invested back into GW. It's an expensive company to run with hundreds back then and now probably thousands of staff members. It makes me think how much product they can shift at those prices. I'm on my break so I'll call back late. I need to have to go for an angry poo. Man I'm so angry ahhhhhhhhhh stupid GW mumble mumble in audible conversation. Sound of toilet door locking

Offline Pizzagrenadier

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 04:59:25 PM »
If that isn't bad enough, 2nd edition stuff is getting more rare and expensive as well since it's OOP.

Like was said...Ebay, flea markets at cons (if you have those), and people selling off lots for cheap are your best bet. Never pay full retail if you can help it.

Offline julesav

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 05:07:44 PM »
Cut out the middleman - get yourself a copy of Gorkamorka from Ebay, and visit Kromlech.eu
"Some scientists say that humans exhibit a behavior called neophilia, which is a preference for new objects. It’s why we like shiny new things."

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 10:56:25 PM »
CG: Well, the price hikes have been particularly daft in the last few years, and the financial reports of the last two (at least) indicate falling sales. Not to mention the quotes from higher-up that 'market research is otiose in a niche' (so they have no idea who's buying their stuff and why) and 'the Games Workshop hobby is buying Games Workshop products' (never mind about building, painting and gaming: spending is the thing!)

So, yeah. When you wonder about how much product they shift and how they operate as a retailer, the answers are 'less and less' and 'like a drunk, blind man trying to find a four-leafed clover in a field full of cow pats'.

Offline Pizzagrenadier

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 01:18:50 AM »
I just kind of like their models. *shrug*