Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:48:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Symbol use rules  (Read 3046 times)

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
Symbol use rules
« on: September 27, 2008, 09:32:56 AM »
I made a new topic , because I could not made a reply in the relevant topic.

OK I understand the rules, but as I am not familiar with the German Law, I still have a question:

Does this rule applies when we post links that might contain unwanted symbols ???
i.e. do we have to exclude "bad photos"  or write a warning!
argsilverson

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Symbol use rules
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 09:46:47 AM »
The easiest way to keep yourself and the rest of us out of trouble is not to post and not to link to images with nazi symbols at all. Warnings, alerts etc. don't count. While it happens that one of us now and then forgets oneself it is really not a hard thing to refrain from doing. Its one of the very few set rules of this site.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 10:08:38 AM »
I occasionally forget the rule myself, especially when posting to images of Weird War comics.

I understand the reasons behind the prohibition, even though sometimes it's application becomes a bit silly.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 11:37:45 AM »
Especially since the "disclaimer notice" on website is no longer considered sufficient to prevent legal action against the website owner (or rather, it never was but this was only cleared up recently), links to such images should also be avoided, as Hammershield said, since the owner of LAF CAN be held responsible for links posted here.

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 01:00:08 PM »
OK I understand.

Let's be more carefulm we do not want the owner of the forum to be prosecuted.

LAF is extremely nice and we do not want to create any problems and loose it.

Offline panzerfaust200

• Librarian
    • http://theguild.informe.com/index.php
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 03:17:06 PM »
well seeing as i seem to have caused this fuss let me start by apologising!

while i'm aware of the law in Germany i wasn't aware of the depth, so again for my ignorance i apologise.

its odd, i don't tend to think of websites or forums as having a "nationality" - but i guess that as LAF has a german registered web address i s'pose its required to obay national laws.

sorry again for any inconvienience! *blush*

rob.  :(

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 05:35:39 PM »

while i'm aware of the law in Germany i wasn't aware of the depth, so again for my ignorance i apologise.

its odd, i don't tend to think of websites or forums as having a "nationality" - but i guess that as LAF has a german registered web address i s'pose its required to obay national laws.

I don't think you need to take it that way. I'm getting used to it having to be reinforced every second month or so since it is not self evident in other countries (like Sweden, for example). It needs to be taught and learnt, just like who's allowed to say 'Black' in the US.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 07:06:18 PM »

As written in the PM, don´t take it personally. It´s a delicate matter, and we just have to run a tight ship on it. And on the complications, well, it´s the law, so what did you expect? I mean, German laws are worded in a more confusing manner than GW rulebooks, and that´s to say something! ;) And the "disclaimer void" ruling was only clarified recently.

Offline postal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 12:58:28 PM »
hammershield I would of compare it to the confedarate flag,In the U.S. we have not outlawed like the swaskitika in germany but there is a lot of fuss over and has been fought over in courts and even one case of that I know of because it was a high school close to mine the qaurtz hill rebels their mascot was yosimitey sam in a rebel uniform and at football games after touchdown they would run around with the confederate flag,people got offended and first the flag then the mascot.These arnt the best things from are past but should be remenbered.Unfourtally theres people that continue to use them as bad.As far as the "N" word in my opinion no one should use it,I could go on about this but that is another subject.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 01:45:58 PM »
Alright, I think we´ve cleared up the matter. For future things, please refer to the sticky topic or drop me a line via PM. Apart from that, this topic is now closed.