Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:07:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690828
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Uyghur Minis?  (Read 3624 times)

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
28mm Uyghur Minis?
« on: February 12, 2015, 07:15:44 PM »
Been reading Louis Cha's The Book and the Sword and I'm now determined to have an Uyghur warband for my pseudo historical A Fistful of Kung Fu games set in late medieval to Renaissance China.

Obviously, I could use just about anything I want that looks vaguely tribal and Asian,  but I thought I would see if anyone had any close to historical recommendations first. I'm thinking perhaps Tartar or Mongol figures would work? Or maybe Foundry Arabs/ Baluchi painted in Asian skin tones?

Thanks

~ Steve

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
Re: 28mm Uyghur Minis?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 09:13:18 AM »
I read that (and Gu Long's Eleventh Son) over Christmas, and had a very similar thought. I would probably take the Fireforge steppe warriors and mix them with some of Gripping Beast's Arabs for flavour. The two kits go together really well - not much work needed.
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 04:24:57 PM »
Ooh that's a great idea. Now if only I could find some plastic Asian heads to sneak in there!

I really enjoyed Cha's novel. I was actually thinking about posting a separate thread to discuss it, but it's so arcane and expensive on Amazon that I think the audience might be limited. However to anyone who likes Wuxia, Kung Fu or Asian fantasy Id call it a must read! I only wish there was a professional English translation of his Condor Hero trilogy available. Maybe I'll post some links I found to free translations in a more appropriately titled thread.

Have you  seen Flying Swords of a Dragons Gate? I'd like to work in some tattoos and exotic weapons like the Tartars from the Dragon Gate Inn:

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 04:39:17 PM »
See the West Wind samurai bareheads pack. That might work.
For a small variety add some hair in green stuff for longer ones.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 05:33:30 PM »
Chaps,
Uyghur's are a Eurasian people with Turkic ancestry who now live in western China.
The steppe nomand figures may be a good starting point but equally so would Seljuk or Arab figs, especially where head swaps are concerned. In addition many uyghur's have quite "western" features and colouring such as red hair or blue eyes.

Some of the (later) mummies from the Tarim basin may give you an idea of clothing colours and features and there are plenty of photographs etc online.

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 06:24:23 PM »
I really enjoyed Cha's novel. I was actually thinking about posting a separate thread to discuss it, but it's so arcane and expensive on Amazon that I think the audience might be limited. However to anyone who likes Wuxia, Kung Fu or Asian fantasy Id call it a must read! I only wish there was a professional English translation of his Condor Hero trilogy available. Maybe I'll post some links I found to free translations in a more appropriately titled thread.

Have you  seen Flying Swords of a Dragons Gate? I'd like to work in some tattoos and exotic weapons like the Tartars from the Dragon Gate Inn:

Tell me about it - I want to get Cha's Deer and the Cauldron, but I don't have the £100-odd for the three books! (And the translation has rather mixed reviews).

Flying Swords was pretty good, but not a patch on some recent Wuxia films (Reign of Assassins springs to mind). I'm hoping Crouching Tiger 2 will be as good as the original.

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 04:09:12 PM »
I haven't seen Reign of Assassins. Thanks for the recommendation. In return, I'll recommend a couple: Detective Dee and Young Detective Dee, both by Tsui Hark have amazing special effects and remind me a bit of the Indiana Jones films. Basically Dee is a Kung Fu Sherlock Holmes. Another one I found is called The Four, which is very much like a Wuxia X-Men! I've tapped into a whole new vein of high production action adventure films with the Wuxia stuff--all for the price of subtitles!

Tell me about it - I want to get Cha's Deer and the Cauldron, but I don't have the £100-odd for the three books! (And the translation has rather mixed reviews).

Flying Swords was pretty good, but not a patch on some recent Wuxia films (Reign of Assassins springs to mind). I'm hoping Crouching Tiger 2 will be as good as the original.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 05:12:45 PM »
I cannot see this and remain calm..

Por Judge Dee.. got Wuxiaed.. I have to see this movie

I can recommend books about this historical person written by Robert Hans van Gulik.
They are really colourful, and while highly stylised (they are bad criminal whodonits by modern standards but most of the plot comes from original Chinese medieval criminal books. Those stories are really good for flavour of China (in a little pulpy way)

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 08:55:53 PM »
I thoroughly reccomend The Mummies of Urumchi by Elizabeth Barber as a good introduction to the Tarim mummies and the Uigur culture in general.

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 02:43:48 PM »
Basically Dee is a Kung Fu Sherlock Holmes.

Check out Wu Xia (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1718199/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_4) for another Kung Fu Sherlock Holmes, starring Takeshi Kaneshiro as Detective Xu Bai-Jiu who comes in and examines the crime scene and deduces what happened in a way that reminded me of the recent Holmes movies and TV series. Great movie also starring Donnie Yen and Tang Wei