Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:34:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690718
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 839
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rescue me!  (Read 2355 times)

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
Rescue me!
« on: September 13, 2008, 02:53:43 PM »
Some minis just arrived in the post today, but I seem to have accidentally ordered from Ikea, as one of them is looking distinctly flat-packed!

Give this is quite a serious case of the beds - check out that crack around the ankle - I thought I'd ask for suggestions from the group as to the best way to rescue this mini (which is already about 25 years old).

Thanks ~

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Re: Rescue me!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 05:59:48 PM »
If you can't bend it back into shape and fill the crack with greenstuff, I would suggest going completely the other way and completeing the break, then pinning and filling the join.

It looks like its going to happen anyway from the photo, so you may as well get in first.

Offline Danny the Chimp

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 06:42:35 PM »
If you are going to try and just bend and fill, then heat is your friend.

Dip it into some hot water, just up to above the break and then slowly bend it back. I had the same problem with some snotlings and they bend alot better heated through. I've used a cigarette lighter as well, but the hot water way works much better!

But I think JB maybe on the right tack, if worst comes to worst chop, pin and fill.
He comes, he comes, Zalgo!

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 12:01:45 PM »
What JB says.  Chop - pin/glue - fill with GS.  Or, throw it away and paint a decent mini  ;)

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 06:29:12 AM »
I'd dab a small amount of medium viscosity CA glue in the cracks and GENTLY stand the model straight.  Then wipe off the excess glue and let it cure. 

I've done this many times with brittle, cracked, or bent pieces with much success.

Once you break it, you change the strength of the piece forever.
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 05:19:28 PM »
Dip it into some hot water, just up to above the break and then slowly bend it back. I had the same problem with some snotlings and they bend alot better heated through. I've used a cigarette lighter as well, but the hot water way works much better!

Danny's chimpish methods have worked a treat. Two pairs of pliers, a kettle, and some firm but gentle persuasion have worked wonders. Thanks for the help.

The painted mini will be appearing in my Doctor Who mini thread over on the Future Wars branch a little later in the week.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 06:54:09 PM »
Looking forward to it. I may have to start my own thread.

Offline Danny the Chimp

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 06:40:26 PM »
Danny's chimpish methods have worked a treat. Two pairs of pliers, a kettle, and some firm but gentle persuasion have worked wonders. Thanks for the help.

The painted mini will be appearing in my Doctor Who mini thread over on the Future Wars branch a little later in the week.

Wow I get a mention and dont notice it!

Glad it worked and I'll have to go and look for these all painted up and shiney now  :D