Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:56:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689770
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Castle for my GoT/medieval army  (Read 12599 times)

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
Re: Castle for my GoT/medieval army
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2015, 03:53:23 PM »
Those GW castles and bits get everywhere :D

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2015, 03:56:37 PM »
I feel dirty when I don't have a castle like that.  :D
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2015, 03:57:24 PM »
I agree with what they said. A dirty 'tide mark' rising from the ground along the lower part of the wall, plus various staining and washes to break up the uniform colour.

Personally, had I ever got hold of one of these sets (as I was thinking of doing before the manufacturer vanished off the radar into the Bermuda Triangle), I would have part-plastered some of the walls to break up the uniform appearance. My fundamental reservation about this model castle is that it's much too neat and regular for an organic stone building. Some rendering / plaster would also help to cover up some of the joins in the plastic, which are all a bit too apparent... Or maybe some vegetations clinging to a few points on the walls. I know no self-respecting castle owner would allow his fortifications to be compromised with creeping vines and clumps of moss, but as far as this model goes, anything that helps break up the too-perfect uniformity of the walls and towers can only be an improvement... Think perhaps I'd also cut one or two of the towers down by a few mm - again to help break up the uniformity. And add some wooden superstructures in some places but not in others... Anything to make the whole thing look more irregular looking.

Well, that's what I'd do  - you did ask, Tom :)

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2015, 04:11:53 PM »
Thanks for the ideas I can nick now. So dirty it up and some vegetation sounds easy enough. I already thought about adding a roof to one or two towers.

So stay tuned more pictures to follow!
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2015, 07:50:13 PM »
You could try brown ink washes on some sections of stonework get the brown into the stone joins that will help break up the uniform grey.

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2015, 08:08:45 PM »
Damn good looking castle!

And I'm with the Cap on this one. I also want a castle. Or well, I just want one of the tower to do a haunted lighthouse :(

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2015, 08:29:36 PM »
It's a shame that table top design seems to have disappeared,  does GW still make its castles?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2015, 07:31:44 AM »
And here the castle on the terrain :

There will be a bridge added and a Gatehouse before the bridge and possibly a roof on one of the towers later

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2015, 08:28:18 AM »
Sorry to be a party pooper but I don't think the colour scheme for the castle walls works.  :(

In my opinion it would be better if the colour of the castle walls blended more with the colour of the rocks below. So more of a brown/cream colour.

Overall its a superb piece of terrain building. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2015, 08:28:30 AM »
That will be a fine looking piece.

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2015, 02:33:37 PM »
Tom, a great project indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also have to agreed with Richard aka the good Capt Blood, who said:

Personally, had I ever got hold of one of these sets (as I was thinking of doing before the manufacturer vanished off the radar into the Bermuda Triangle), I would have part-plastered some of the walls to break up the uniform appearance. My fundamental reservation about this model castle is that it's much too neat and regular for an organic stone building. Some rendering / plaster would also help to cover up some of the joins in the plastic, which are all a bit too apparent... Or maybe some vegetations clinging to a few points on the walls. I know no self-respecting castle owner would allow his fortifications to be compromised with creeping vines and clumps of moss, but as far as this model goes, anything that helps break up the too-perfect uniformity of the walls and towers can only be an improvement... Think perhaps I'd also cut one or two of the towers down by a few mm - again to help break up the uniformity. And add some wooden superstructures in some places but not in others... Anything to make the whole thing look more irregular looking.

It just looks too neat...and I have yet to ever see a castle with brick work looking so uniform and tidy. All that said, you have done a great job on this castle...love the moat and all. One small observation that needs correcting, you have forgot to include a well (water source) inside the castle...every castle has some sort of water source that can't be polluted (the water in the moat can be)...either a well or a cistern. You might want to add that little feature in as part of your courtyard.

Looking forward to seeing your many battles around the castle!

PS This castle reminds me of the 54mm size one I had as a kid...I am pretty sure it was Timpo...and went with their knights. I still have it packed away somewhere...one day I will locate it, fix it up, and give it to my son to play with!!!!!!! :D

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2015, 07:06:55 AM »
The well in the courtyard is a good idea ! Thanks.
I started to do a scratch build extension of one of the towers ( more like a thinner extension upwards like a wizards
tower) next will then be a wooden bridge crossing the moat with outer works ( more like a wooden and stone guard building)
pictures to follow

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2015, 08:26:45 AM »
Hello ,
after a longer brake here are more pictures of the progress on the guard building and the bridge. The bridge will be redone as I don't like it as it is.

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2015, 09:57:26 AM »
 :-* :o
the early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2015, 04:10:10 PM »