Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:00:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690997
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What rules do you use for Samurai?  (Read 5671 times)

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
What rules do you use for Samurai?
« on: February 17, 2015, 01:40:11 PM »
Hey guys just wondering what rules you use to play Samurai games.

Are they made for Samurai? Are the adaptions of existing rules? Army lists for rulesets?

Personally I am considering picking up Lions Rampart and trying to adapt it for Samurai. I will be using Ronin for groups of around 10 models a side. And Kings of War for a game wil hundreds of models but wanted something for in between the two. Has anyone used Lions Rampart for Samurai? Do you use any mid size rules for Samurai that you use? or any size rules that are interesting.

Should point out I don't mind if its just army lists for a non Samurai game. Don't mind Samurai vs Romans or Medieval English just want some interesting rulesets I can build forces for that people have tried or think would work well.

Thanks.

Offline olyreed

• Mastermind
Re: What rules do you use for Samurai?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 01:59:29 PM »
I think Lion Rampant should work well for samurai, but I am intending on using Sharp Practice and Dux Britanniarum with there samurai supplement from there Summer 2014 special. With sharp practice you can have a nice large skirmish sized game and put as much character as you like into it, with Dux there is a nice campaign to go along with it letting you grow your forces, other than that there isnt much in the way of large skirmish rules dedicated to samurai, I know there is a mod for Ronin so you can field larger units

Offline tancrede

• Scientist
    • Studio Caillou
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 03:13:14 PM »
For me, I'm using Ronin for small skirmish games.

Maybe you should take a look at some historical games, such as Impetus or Hail Caesar.

You should also take a look at the SAGA rules, using existing boards to test the game...
The different boards can be used for differents playstyles / clans.

A french wargaming club as done something like this for some "Legend of the Five Rings" games and it seems that it works well.
My blog, for personnal and commission work, and sometimes other things too => http://studiocaillou.blogspot.fr/

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 06:59:29 PM »
We have used our own brew rules called LLA (Little Lead Adventures) and when I've moved and get to play more games we'll use Sharp Practice with the mod I've got for it.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 07:07:49 PM »
I think Lion Rampant should work well for samurai, but I am intending on using Sharp Practice and Dux Britanniarum with there samurai supplement from there Summer 2014 special. With sharp practice you can have a nice large skirmish sized game and put as much character as you like into it, with Dux there is a nice campaign to go along with it letting you grow your forces, other than that there isnt much in the way of large skirmish rules dedicated to samurai, I know there is a mod for Ronin so you can field larger units

Yeah lion rampant should work well there are variant lists on their forum

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 07:17:25 PM »
The Kensei free rules looked pretty good, but I haven't tried them.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline emosbur

• Mad Scientist
    • A COVA DO TRASNO
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 07:23:11 PM »
Seven Spears, a Dux Britanniarum variant.

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 09:20:48 PM »
We have used our own brew rules called LLA (Little Lead Adventures) and when I've moved and get to play more games we'll use Sharp Practice with the mod I've got for it.

cheers

James
Yeah THAT sounds good! :)
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/

Offline pws

• Scientist
    • Pippoweb hobby blog
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 10:11:38 AM »
Personally I am considering picking up Lions Rampart and trying to adapt it for Samurai. I will be using Ronin for groups of around 10 models a side. And Kings of War for a game wil hundreds of models but wanted something for in between the two..

Same choices we did in our club. Already tried Ronin for small skirmish, nice.
We just started a KoW campaing in which I'll run a samurai army, after that I hope to use lion rampant for skirmish. Non only for samurai.
Ciao
Per aspera ad astra
pippoweb.blogspot.it

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 10:48:21 AM »
I have used the LOTR variants with tweaks moving between the one publish in Wargames Illustrated and some of the ideas in the LOTR yahoo group

Offline n815e

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 04:19:55 PM »
Hail Caesar has a list for early samurai.  The rules are easily adaptable for later eras.

Taiko (from Scale Creep) is a set that seems to be inspired by Warhammer Fantasy/Ancients.  It can be played out on an 'army' level or skirmish level.

I've read good things about Peter Pig's Battles in the Age of War.  It has an interesting-sounding pre-game routine that opponents play out which will effect how the game plays.  I plan on picking these up.

Brian Bradford's Killer Katanas II is frequently cited for the research that went into it and the supplements (useful stuff).  The game system doesn't appeal to me, but it may to you.  I am happy owning them for the information.

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 05:40:51 PM »
Thanks for the help so far

I've never been able to get hold of a reasonably priced copy of killer katanas 2 sadly.

I've only ever seen it for £30+ for the base book.  Which is a little more than I am willing to shell out for a rulebook that I've never been able to flick through.

Offline olyreed

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 08:20:33 PM »
Killer katanas qnd the korean supplement is a great resource for info. Never played it as i dont own any 15mm and its suited to that size

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 10:48:34 PM »
I've done some with Kensei's ruleset.

Once I used what I believe is some version of Killer Katanas (Friend owned it).

Mainly, I've been using Ronin and contemplating adding Bushido due to various transport issues and lack of space to keep a full sized play area.

Offline Evilcartoonist

• Scientist
    • Carmen's Fun Painty Time
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 06:10:20 AM »
I adapted Red Sand Black Moon (fantasy gladiators) by Two Hour Wargames. It's fantastic for doing samurai duels, but also handles a few ashigaru on each side for small skirmishes without bogging down too much.

(I don't play any mass battle, though.)