Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:11:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686443
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Argonor's Dark Ages Stuff  (Read 56552 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Argonor's Dark Ages Stuff
« Reply #255 on: March 27, 2017, 08:58:02 PM »
Well, 'often' seems to be the wrong term, as it happens. Gardening has taken up a lot of my spare time lately (spring demands its share), but here is another Viking finished.

As always, a couple more pics on my blog.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #256 on: March 28, 2017, 07:07:30 AM »
Gardening?  Don't be a Fyrd  lol !  You should be painting more nice looking Vikings instead :) .  Love these models.  I need some too.  How did you manage the shields?  I'm trying to figure out shield designs and common colours for dress during the period;  What are you using for you painting references?

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #257 on: March 28, 2017, 09:28:17 PM »
Gardening?  Don't be a Fyrd  lol !  You should be painting more nice looking Vikings instead :) .  Love these models.  I need some too.  How did you manage the shields?  I'm trying to figure out shield designs and common colours for dress during the period;  What are you using for you painting references?

Most Vikings were farmers, you know  :)

Shields are LBMS transfers, I really like those!

Colour references... well, I attend a lot of Medieval and Dark Ages re-enactment events, often with the girls and myself clad in historical garb, so i see a lot of naturally dyed clothes. You'll never go completely wrong with drab or brownish colours, but trade and plunder would bring all kinds of non-domestic fabrics into play, and the Vikings LOVED bright colours, so the wealthier/luckier warriors could easily have some clothes in brighter hues. And remember that woad was quite common, and could yield a very rich and vibrant blue.

Red is probably the most problematic colour for this period - the natural dyes could not be 'fixated', and red is very prone to fading/getting washed out, thus leaving pinkish and/or light terracotta shades behind - which is why pink is often seen. I have used richer reds on a couple of my vikings, too, because really red fabrics were probably quite expensive, and would thus be considered status symbols (I don't think it is a coincidence that kings, elector princes, and cardinals used red for their official dress), and any such fabrics acquired would surely be paraded and not kept under lock and key.

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #258 on: March 29, 2017, 03:52:39 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions on dyes and clothing; Very helpful.  I'm bothering you on two fronts so I am get my transfer answers here and on Facebook :) .

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #259 on: March 29, 2017, 01:02:36 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions on dyes and clothing; Very helpful.  I'm bothering you on two fronts so I am get my transfer answers here and on Facebook :) .

No problem, I find a lot of help by asking questions myself, so I am always happy to give some advice back to the community.

Re: Colours, I just did a search for 'plant dyed yarn' (in Danish, that is)

https://www.google.dk/search?q=plantefarvet+garn&rlz=1C1AVNA_enDK578DK579&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiZvO333_vSAhUmDJoKHcbPDhcQ_AUIBigB&biw=1366&bih=638

Just remember that these are newly dyed, and that wear, sunlight (+ salt from travelling the North Sea, at least for the raiders), and dirt would tone down the brightness somewhat. We have a very broad palette to choose from, and then add to that the possibility of traded/plundered exotic fabrics like cotton, silk, brocade, and what ever you can think of.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #260 on: March 30, 2017, 05:07:47 PM »
Almost there...

Couple more pics on the blog.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #261 on: March 31, 2017, 05:14:27 PM »
The 8th armoured warrior completes my six points SAGA warband

More pics, and a group shot, on the blog.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #262 on: March 31, 2017, 10:49:46 PM »

Great brushwork and IMPRESSIVE choice of colors! Argonor, your Dark Age Warriors look very authentic to me, CONGRATULATIONS!

Looking forward to see the village!  ;)
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #263 on: March 31, 2017, 10:58:51 PM »
Great brushwork and IMPRESSIVE choice of colors! Argonor, your Dark Age Warriors look very authentic to me, CONGRATULATIONS!

Looking forward to see the village!  ;)

Thanks. I have about a dozen more Vikings to do before I move on, and then I want to re-base and build/paint a Rohan warband as proxies for Anglo-Saxons so I can field two forces.

I hate building stuff... :(  I'm not sure if I ever shall get a scratch-built Dark Ages settlement up and running, but I have not completely given up - I surely shall make some fields and the dung heap I've started, and put some wattle fences on bases to be used modular.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #264 on: April 02, 2017, 01:22:45 AM »

I hate building stuff... :(  I'm not sure if I ever shall get a scratch-built Dark Ages settlement up and running, but I have not completely given up - I surely shall make some fields and the dung heap I've started, and put some wattle fences on bases to be used modular.

Argonor, for your inspiration: http://www.battlebrushstudios.com/2015/06/tutorial-my-kind-of-town-make-of-dark.html

;)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #265 on: April 02, 2017, 04:39:57 PM »
The full warband so far:

Thoughts on the next steps I'll take to expand on it on my blog.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #266 on: April 11, 2017, 03:47:11 PM »
Project not dead, yet - am focusing on building the last Vikings I need to get done for the army to reach 24 points Main Force for God of Battles.

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #267 on: April 11, 2017, 04:01:36 PM »
The painted host looks awesome!  I'm going to have to visit your blog and get a better look at where you are going with the new additions.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #268 on: April 11, 2017, 05:23:12 PM »
The painted host looks awesome!  I'm going to have to visit your blog and get a better look at where you are going with the new additions.

It is basically just expanding the 8 'Hearthguard'/armoured warriors into two units of 10 each.

Then, I intend to make a six-point Rohan SAGA warband which can stand in for Anglo-Saxons - I have a nice bunch of minis already painted, that I shall re-base, and then I shall have to paint up some Royal Guard for the Hearthguard section, a Warlord, and maybe some warriors, I don't know the exact number of painted minis I have.

After that, who knows...  ;D

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #269 on: April 25, 2017, 04:31:24 PM »
As my newest gaming buddy has expressed interest in SAGA, I have moved the Rohan/Anglo-Saxon project forward.