Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 06:28:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (update: D&D(&D))  (Read 267512 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (Half-orcs)
« Reply #855 on: July 04, 2017, 09:38:23 AM »
They look a tremendously scurvy bunch!

One thought: for the bigger, more orcish brutes, you could perhaps use entirely Marienburgish skintones - so that their evident monstrosity is coupled with clear signs of their human ancestry.

As far as some other, smaller half-orcs, I'm still wondering if maybe some of the old Asgard orcs might fit the role... http://www.thevikingforge.net/25mm-fantasy-orcs.html

If you like, I could post some size-comparison shots tonight when I get back from work. I've got a batch of Asgard orcs in the early stages of painting, many of which are temporarily on 20 x 20 bases (they're destined for my HotT hordes). I also have three of the great orcs unpainted. Those will happily fit on 20 x 20s (I plan to have all three on a 60 x 30 base), but are a bit bigger than Citadel half-orcs.

The smaller sorts are very small - smaller than early-80s Citadel night goblins.

*FWIW, I 'm getting further into the idea of creating specific mercenary companies or regiments rather than just painting figures and calling them "mercenaries" and being done with it. I'm OK keeping all the generic landsknechts I've got on that basis. But I think my new projects will all have more to them. So the current batch of half-orcs are getting a backstory developed as I paint, similar to the way I've been working on the Scrobbleton Jackrabbit Trading Company for the hobbits. This has a secondary effect of giving me an outlet for putting down some of the geography and cultural background that I've had in my head.

Nice idea. And that gives you the option of mixing up troops from various companies to create an even less trustworthy mob of deserters and renegades.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #856 on: July 04, 2017, 02:29:09 PM »
Nice idea. And that gives you the option of mixing up troops from various companies to create an even less trustworthy mob of deserters and renegades.

Yes, exactly! And I've got some ideas for hosting games involving two sides bidding for mercenary companies to determine their armies before the battle starts. That can go several ways, either simple, or a larger multi-player game with two leaders, and the rest of the players being the mercenary captains who they will negotiate with -- each of whom will have their own set of victory conditions in addition to those of their employer, plus various rivalries, etc. with the other mercenary captains.

All I need to some time to actually play some games.  ::)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #857 on: July 04, 2017, 09:13:06 PM »
Very nice. I like the varied skintones.

Offline MagpieJono

• Scientist
« Reply #858 on: July 04, 2017, 11:18:32 PM »
They're looking lovely.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #859 on: July 05, 2017, 01:05:59 AM »
Thanks!

Scale shot of the big guys, I've got two I can put in the unit.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #860 on: July 05, 2017, 09:29:23 AM »
They look very promising!

Here are a few comparison shorts of Citadel half-orcs and Asgard orcs (all in various states of undress, I'm afraid). As you can see, they range from being quite a bit bigger and beefier to really small. The extreme slouching poses on some of them would nicely accentuate a trend that was present in the Citadel ones, though: while some were upright like the chap with the scimitar and shield, others were hunched or slouching (the guy with the two-handed sword and the hero with the axe).

The square bases here are all 20 x 20mm.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #861 on: July 10, 2017, 05:25:01 AM »
Thank you, Hobgoblin! I think the Asgard orcs will find a home in my collection one way or another. I really like them, and i'm thinking about getting a full set and using them however they fit.

As you can all see, I am yet another victim of the Death Throes of Photobucket. So for now I have a decent backup plan for new photos, and will be looking for alternative options for new, flexible image hosting. To be honest, this is not unexpected, and I'm surprised Photobucket is even still around. At any rate, I still have a lot of my old photos and entries available on my blog at...

http://www.zerotwentythree.com/

SO... on to what I've been doing. Well, if you clicked that link above, you are probably up to date.  ;) But for the LAF rundown...

Travelling for work, but finally painted a little. More half-orcs. I decided to mix a few of the (unaltered) Tre Manor orcs into the unit as larger "brutes." These were originally slated for conversion fodder for the Fomorians, but I think I will be getting Bones versions of them when the KS reward arrives. To be honest, it is a relief to be able to use them as-is. I think Manor's orcs are some of my favorite current minis -- or ever. Tragically they don't quite fit into my own theoretical campaign/gaming plans. But I am finding ways to make them fit. Too well sculpted not to use in some way or another!

So, as far as the new two "half"-orc recruits go, added here to the Black Tree core of the mercenaries...

I think they fit well! Larger than the average trooper, but not really out of scale. More like a believable diversity of troops. I think they're a good fit in stylistic terms as well! I'm hoping to do the same with a few smaller figures.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #862 on: July 10, 2017, 06:12:43 AM »
Those look great!

The mix of sizes reminds me a bit of this John Blanche illustration (used in a White Dwarf article on orcs, if I recall correctly):

It's a good look!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #863 on: July 10, 2017, 06:36:52 AM »
I think the Asgard orcs will find a home in my collection one way or another. I really like them, and i'm thinking about getting a full set and using them however they fit.

In looking at the Asgard range, have you considered the half-trolls? I've been basing them up to use as giants in 10mm, and they fit perfectly onto 20 x 40mm bases (like your Reaper chaps). Viking Forge still produce them, along with the Asgard orcs.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #864 on: July 16, 2017, 02:58:44 PM »
Yes! I want to break up the uniformity of the half-orcs, and especially my goblins! (More on the latter at a future date....)

I will look into those trolls when I'm ready for an order - and see if Viking Forge lists them. I think I'm going to try painting down a hitnof my lead pile a bit before placing new orders. (I realize that's borderline heresy in the miniatures community...  ;D )

A few more half-orcs done. Just five more left -- including the three command figures. Plus I need to do a banner (and maybe go back and paint designs on the shields.)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #865 on: July 17, 2017, 05:12:29 AM »
Done with -- half-orc mercenaries -- other than adding a standard and possibly some insignia on some of the shields. So... I guess 98% done?

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #866 on: July 17, 2017, 07:53:01 AM »
They look great. Black tree really has some gems hidden behind their crappy photos.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #867 on: July 17, 2017, 08:55:00 PM »
Very nice. The big orc fits in nicely.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (Dem Bones, Dem Bones...)
« Reply #868 on: July 20, 2017, 04:06:41 AM »
...Dem Bones, dem bendy Bones...

;D

Speaking of...

I just posted a new blog entry that I'm not going to repeat here in its entirety. The gist is that I got my modest Bones 3 KS minis today, and couldn't wait to take some comparison pics with some of the other figures they will be used with in my collection/projects.

Full deal is here:

http://www.zerotwentythree.com/2017/07/load-o-bones.html

But as a teaser, here's a pic of the my favorite from the bunch, the awesome horror that is.... GOREMAW!

Currently obsessed with the GOREMAW model. Can't wait to paint it. I wonder if I can put together some sort of scenario that's like a fantasy version of SJG's "Ogre" and base it around the unstoppable horror of.... GOREMAW!  ;D

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (Dem Bones, Dem Bones...)
« Reply #869 on: July 20, 2017, 05:08:37 AM »
You're making noises when you play with it, aren't you?
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen