Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:10:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (update: D&D(&D))  (Read 263569 times)

Offline randycarter

• Scientist
And the necromancers quarreling about theyr scrolls are just great!  lol

Offline Minus

• Assistant
You actually built those metal carrion?! I'm impressed! How was it?

Ha, i havent braved mine yet either. Would also like to know!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
I get the reference, Zero. No way could I ever any allusions to... ;)

8)

You actually built those metal carrion?! I'm impressed! How was it?

Ha, i havent braved mine yet either. Would also like to know!

It was difficult but not impossible. The pieces are very delicate, so difficult to pin. The joints are really small and poorly defined. So most of them really do need to be pinned! Additionally the feather-winged figure kept bending under its own weight when I started painting it, so it needed an additional connection (pinned) to the tree just to keep from tipping over.

I would leave it on my desk as it was supposed to be posed. But every morning it would bend at the tree (where the arrow is pointing) and I would have to bend it back. But that was no permanent solution. I ended up having to pin/glue the leg back to the other part of the tree to keep it from bending.

So the figures to require some delicate modeling skills. Wonderfully sculpted in terms of detail, just not in terms of assembly process. I love the end result. They are beautiful models. If you don't mind the extra work in assembling them, they are well worth the effort. I never had any interest in carrion models until these, and bought them only because I really liked the way they looked. I was not disappointed in that respect. It just took some extra steps to get them finished.  lol

And the necromancers quarreling about theyr scrolls are just great!  lol

I had the older figure and when I saw the newer one being released I just knew I had to have them because of the modeling potential for them arguing!  lol
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 05:44:40 AM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline boneio

• Scientist
They are gorgeous carrion and you've done a wonderful job painting them too!

I'm not sure my modelling skills could be called delicate  lol That said I just discovered the magic of superglue plus accelerant so may have a small hope...

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
They are gorgeous carrion and you've done a wonderful job painting them too!

I'm not sure my modelling skills could be called delicate  lol That said I just discovered the magic of superglue plus accelerant so may have a small hope...

Thanks! Given the tattered flaps of flesh hanging off their animated carcasses, I think a little extra glue and/or modelling putty to hold everything in place could be an alternate to pinning.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (update: Season of the Liche! (and friends)
« Reply #1385 on: July 05, 2022, 04:18:17 AM »
I had "finished" my July Old World Army Challenge entry, the final month, a bit early. Or so I thought. Then our Benevolent Overlord posted a meme in the FB group that I took as a challenge and scrambled to produce a large-ish last minute piece of terrain. (Heh heh... "produce"... see full OWAC entry for the unintended pun.) I succeeded! The focus of the final month, however, was the leader of this army of the undead - The Liche!

A few teaser pics below, see the full entry for more pics, details, and words: http://oldworldarmychallenge.blogspot.com/2022/07/zerotwentythrees-june-undead-600pts.html

For July I will be preparing my wrap-up post, plus repairing a second carrion that bent under its own weight so I can get some full-army pics.  >:(

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (update: Season of the Liche! (and friends)
« Reply #1386 on: January 12, 2023, 04:34:42 AM »
Copied from my post in the Future Wars section a few days ago:

"So I've got something like a New Year resolution, except it wasn't really that. Rather it was a result of me complaining on Instagram about how much that format has failed to keep me in touch with the people and projects that I like, and a realization that forums such as this are more personal, less "curated" by algorithms or filled with ads, and get me the content that I want to see (YOURS!) The twist is convenience... most of my personal time is when I am away from a computer and apps like IG and other just work better on a phone. But I have a new 2-in1 PC that's a little more portable than my old 17" beast and although it's going to spend a lot of time docked on a desk for work, I'm hoping to use it to get back to forums like Lead Adventure!"

So there it is. I didn't really do any gaming in 2022. Work & Life got busy; there were major changes. Looking to hopefully get back to it in 2023. I did get some painting in, though it did slow down after the Old World Army Challenge.

Speaking of which... I'm not going to post my FINAL photos here because I think they're too large for the forum to display well, but you can see them in all their glory along with my commentary at:

https://oldworldarmychallenge.blogspot.com/2022/07/zerotwentythrees-post-owac5-undead-wrap.html

Do here's a photo dump of what I've been up to since then, in terms of fantasy figures.

I painted these eyes for a specific purpose in relation to sci-fi gaming, but since the bases are clear/neutral, I foresee them used in fantasy gaming as well. Great figures from RPE, I think from the Das Schwarze Auge range.

Beyond that, there was a long gap between the end of the OWAC in June and Deadcember:

I also repainted a self portrait sculpt I did about 20 years ago, but was damaged, repainted poorly, and now re-equipped with a rusty scythe so I can fit in with my undead...

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgqP37SLxujHax-tLp3ObiI8rxqoYliDFZK3fylrGGKaItAbceeAqp6Qmgx6USINHlNMoipO4oHf2Q9dkCBHNXqiBvTaUrvKgXW9Lm6J3-SrVWQIuiSHgEBPkrS9YVPb-B211S11nooPodB-G0vIqABnC-bPIAoql6VQyedtDlcuXRNgdlXZyninDlhAQ/s800/minimirerere.JPG

Aside from Deadcember, I painted a small handful of figures over the holidays and into the first week of January. I'll follow up with those as time allows (hopefully) in the next few days. I also hope to catch up on some of my favorite projects, and many new ones here in the Fantasy Adventures forum soon!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (update: Catching up - 2023)
« Reply #1387 on: January 12, 2023, 06:20:32 AM »
Nice work.
Love the portrait miniature too. :)

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #1388 on: January 12, 2023, 02:10:08 PM »
I'm glad you're back! Excellent additions.

You're right about forums  ;) Far more longevity.

Offline Seditiosus

• Bookworm
« Reply #1389 on: January 13, 2023, 07:57:07 PM »
welcome back, missed your posts! and i heartedly approve your new years resolution! :)  one of my favorite pastimes is to look for what people have come up with and it has become a pain in the ass with all these content being within closed walls of social media sites, that the creators have no real control over... hope to see you more active again!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #1390 on: January 14, 2023, 06:05:16 AM »
Yes, I see now the error of my ways. Although I've got less painting/gaming/hobby time lately, I realize I'd rather be looking at projects on LAF than on FB or IG.

Per last entry, I haven't done much since the end of the OWAC in June. Aside from some Deadcember figures, there's just been a handful of others...

I added two Nolzur's mushroom men to my small collection. I've got plans for a small, homebrewed Sellswords campaign and will need some more 'shroomfolk. These are nice figures. I wish there were more sculpts, but I think I will at pick up at least a second pack. Maybe a third to get six total. (The older figures in the back are from Ral Partha.)

As I thought about the need for even more 'shroomfolk, other ideas came to mind and started to influence the development of the campaign. I don't want to spoil the details yet, but inspired by the real world zombie ant fungus, I decided I needed to model some 'Shrumans! These are the first two test figures.

Also painted an old Citadel chaos familiar. I didn't fully appreciate how well the dace was sculpted until I painted it! The whole range of familiars is really great. I've got an incomplete (maybe half-ish?) collection. Maybe I should try to get the rest.

And lastly, not any new painting, but Owlbro got a family for Christmas!  lol  Will definitely paint these up in the coming months.

EDIT: Looks like I never posted him to begin with! Let me introduce Owlbro, resin figure from Westfalia Miniatures. The above unpainted figures appear to be 3D prints, a gift from my wife. Er... I mean, Santa Claus. Thus, let me present: Owlbro!

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1391 on: January 14, 2023, 04:29:07 PM »
The painting on that Owlbear is superb.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1392 on: January 15, 2023, 02:50:21 AM »
Yes it is very nice.
And congratulations on 1000 posts!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #1393 on: January 15, 2023, 04:31:51 AM »
Continually great stuff mate! 👍
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #1394 on: January 15, 2023, 03:28:11 PM »
Fantastic painting on everything here, especially the eyes of the last few monsters; they look so full of life.

I really like the expressions on the gryphon and knight as they encounter Owlbro - surprise and fear rolled into one - great job!
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/