Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:09:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: NW Frontier Anglo-Indian force for T&T/TMWWBK  (Read 6581 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: NW Frontier Anglo-Indian force for T&T/TMWWBK
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 07:09:28 AM »
Nice work Andy  :-*.

Do you mind me asking where you got the blue sky background? (did you indeed paint it yourself?)

Have you a link?

Darrell.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 09:16:42 PM »
Andy, tried Army Painter Strong Tone dip today, delighted with the result. The rest of the collection is going to be done with it... that way I might live long enough to get it completed!

:o

Good to hear it, old bean! I have painted 70+ figures so far this year and all done with 'dip and highlight'. Thats more than I painted in the past 2 years!!! It's the way to go, without a doubt, unless you want close-up magazine article quality stuff like wot 'proper' painters do...

Darrell: the blue sky background is purchased from my local model railway shop 'Trains4U'...
http://www.trains4u.com

They also do other rural background scenes...I have used some in some of my Dark Age stuff on my blog...

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2015, 10:17:06 PM »
Top work old son  :)
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 11:20:43 AM »
Darrell: the blue sky background is purchased from my local model railway shop 'Trains4U'...
http://www.trains4u.com

They also do other rural background scenes...I have used some in some of my Dark Age stuff on my blog...

Thanks.... next time I'm there.....  :)

Darrell.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2015, 12:17:25 PM »
They do sell 'em online, you know...  ;)

£1.45 plus postage. I bought 2 to give me a longer background and photoshopped out the join...

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2015, 12:28:58 PM »
They do sell 'em online, you know...  ;)

£1.45 plus postage. I bought 2 to give me a longer background and photoshopped out the join...

I sort of need to see them at first hand..... anyway the local shop is less than half a mile away.

Darrell.

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2016, 10:34:46 PM »
Stunning work sir! I really like the foundry Gurkha's but the rest of my British/Indian Field Force is predominantly Artizan so I will hold on a little longer in the hope that they produce their own...
Now listen to me you benighted muckers. We're going to teach you soldiering. The world's noblest profession. When we're done with you, you'll be able to slaughter your enemies like civilized men.

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2016, 09:41:04 AM »
The British unit is by Empress Miniatures (with a Foundry Officer). They are painted in the '3 highlights on black undercoat' style.

Andy - now I have emptied my drool bowl and put it away until next time, I have a question for you.

Can you tell me what the colour palette you used for the British uniforms is please?  I am hoping if that if I buy the paints you use (presumably a Foundry triad in this case) I will inevitably be able to paint just as well as you!  o_o

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2016, 07:02:35 PM »
Andy - now I have emptied my drool bowl and put it away until next time, I have a question for you.

Can you tell me what the colour palette you used for the British uniforms is please?  I am hoping if that if I buy the paints you use (presumably a Foundry triad in this case) I will inevitably be able to paint just as well as you!  o_o

I used Foundry Drab triad for the khaki. I can't remember exactly what I used for the webbing - I think it was GW Karak Stone with a Bleached Bone highlight. If dipping (which I did for the Sikhs and Gurkhas) I used the Drab light as a base block colour, applied dip strong tone (with a brush...NEVER actually dip the figures!!), then, once dry I matted it down before rehighlighting with Drab light. FWIW I always use this 'dip & highlight' technique now, as I can no longer see to paint layers on a black undercoat...!!

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2016, 09:17:01 AM »
Andy - thanks very much for confirming my guess. I shall order the Drab set right away!

once dry I matted it down before rehighlighting with Drab light. FWIW I always use this 'dip & highlight' technique now, as I can no longer see to paint layers on a black undercoat...!!]

I feel your pain.  But pity then us mere mortals who are attempting to master the technique late in life and with already dodgy eyesight!

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2016, 05:14:38 PM »
Bravo! :-*

Superbly done!

It's good to see such success with the Army Painter dip applied by brush. It gives me hope my own lead, plastic, resin pile may someday shrink.
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper