Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:10:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686482
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm figures for Butler's Rangers for Mohawk Valley skirmishes  (Read 3037 times)

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
28mm figures for Butler's Rangers for Mohawk Valley skirmishes
« on: February 22, 2015, 05:40:24 PM »
I am wondering what 28mm miniatures out there would be appropriate for Butler's Rangers in the many raids and skirmishes that took place in the Mohawk Valley from 1777 on.

I already have miniatures for French and Indian War skirmishes, and am using mainly Muskets and Tomahawks, and, since I have a passel of Woodland Indians, I'm looking at expanding into the AWI. The history of the brutal warfare in the Mohawk Valley is intriguing--neighbor against neighbor--so seems a natural area of concentration.

I'm just starting research, so your help would be greatly appreciated.
I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden

Offline bill5549

• Bookworm
    • Blenheim to Berlin
Re: 28mm figures for Butler's Rangers for Mohawk Valley skirmishes
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 04:21:43 PM »
Have a look at Front Rank Miniatures - they have 6 Butler's Rangers figures  codes AWB32-37

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 02:17:15 AM »
I concur,Front rank figures paint nice,w/ variety.

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 05:20:09 AM »
Contact Lance at Galloping Major miniatures in the UK. Great service. Great figures. They are Roger's Rangers but should work. Lots of choices.

http://www.gallopingmajorwargames.com/

Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline RC_Robert

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 09:35:53 AM »
If you like the Galloping Major rangers Loyalhanna Outpost in the US is selling off their stock of FIW minis at a discount.  Though I believe they are out of the rangers in caps.  Just command, Roger, and bonnets left.

http://www.loyalhannaoutpost.com/

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 12:14:21 AM »
If you like the Galloping Major rangers Loyalhanna Outpost in the US is selling off their stock of FIW minis at a discount.  Though I believe they are out of the rangers in caps.  Just command, Roger, and bonnets left.

http://www.loyalhannaoutpost.com/

I'm partly to blame for that, for I nabbed two packs of rangers in caps when I heard Keith was closing up shop! My original plan was to use them for French and Indian War British Light Infantry, which, by the way, had Lance's approval.  lol

Thread on that topic is here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=74229.msg906347#msg906347

Now you're telling me they'll do for Butler's crew as well. Guess I'll have to pick up some more! They are fine figures, and I'm already using Galloping Major for the bulk of my British and settler FIW figures.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 12:44:59 AM »
I am interested in what the membership's opinion is on these troops being clothed in more backwoods and Native American clothing.  Butler's Rangers were primarily backwoods boys recruited out of many of the same areas that they would later raid, particularly in Pennsylvania (There was a really good article on this in Pennsylvania History about 15-18 years ago).  They were often among the Iroquois and marched long distances to carry out their engagements.  American popular imagination portrays them as being "renegades" and partially dressed in buckskins with some wearing war paint. I would assume that if nothing else they would be fairly ragged by the time of their engagements in the Wyoming Valley, Forty Fort, and Schoharie. I have been fascinated by Butler's Rangers for years, though this is a period that I no longer wargame.
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.