Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:56:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Captured Universal Carrier  (Read 2407 times)

Offline Nysse

• Scientist
    • Engineered Gaming
Captured Universal Carrier
« on: February 23, 2015, 06:20:45 AM »
A few days ago I finished up a Universal Carrier captured by Germans and converted to carry a PaK36 anti-tank gun. The universal carrier is from Warlord Games as is the PaK36 crew. Gun shield is made from styrene sheet and random German equipment thrown in from leftovers of various plastic kits. I'd gotten the kit as a christmas gift through the Secret Santa held over at The Blog With No Name. Sending and receiving gifts to other gamers to add excitement to christmas is a great idea and this gift definately was fun to put together and paint up!

The carrier itself is pretty much stock and the driver and machine gunner are straight from the kit with the exception of a head swap. The PaK36 needed a bit of cutting up on the mounting to make it fit the and I had to shorten one ammo rack to fit the back of the carrier. Finally I made the gun shield from styrene and added some rivets with some Tamiya Putty that was just applied as a dot and then sanded flat when dried.

Basic colours applied with an airbrush and details by hand. As I like my vehicles looking worn and dirty I applied quite a heavy wash of a few different enamels and applied some streaking with rust and oil shades. At this stage my basecoat started to give in at some corners and peeled off  >:( I've now had it happen a few times with the Vallejo primers so it's probably time to find another brand of airbrushable primer... Luckily all of the affected areas were on the bottom part of the carrier so I was able to salvage things with mud. I had completely forgotten about decals before it was finished, which meant I had to go back and add them over the weathered areas and try to blend them in. Now they are a bit more fresh looking compared to the rest of the tank, but good enough for me.

More on my blog for those interested: http://engineered-gaming.blogspot.fi/2015/02/painting-challenge-entry-8-converted.html

« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 06:45:12 AM by Nysse »
Chronicling my fight against a growing lead pile with some occasional gaming: Engineered Gaming

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Captured Universal Carrier
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 07:16:29 AM »
Lovely work. Beute vehicles are a favourite WWII thing of mine.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline tomek917

• Mad Scientist
    • Anabasis
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 12:18:46 PM »
Really cool!

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 02:09:12 AM »
Yup really cracking job - though if I were the MG gunner I might be wanting a helmet rather than cap - just in case they fire  :o

Offline Nysse

• Scientist
    • Engineered Gaming
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 05:28:31 AM »
Thank you guys!

Beutepanzer indeed are some of the funkiest vehicles from the war. Familiar vehicles in more exotic colour schemes and with modifications are always fun.

And Truscott you don't need a helmet when you stop bullets with your Warface like the screaming MG guy.