Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:01:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690916
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fistful of errrr Rapiers.  (Read 856 times)

Offline Harry von Fleischmann

• Scientist
Fistful of errrr Rapiers.
« on: March 02, 2015, 09:02:46 PM »
Bit of an experiment here, I know Ganesha do Flashing Steel which is designed for swashbuckling  but out of curiosity I decided to try Fistful of Kung Fu for a bit of errrrr swashbuckling to see how the prop activation and more varied combat results played out.....

Well. Two very quick fights, Lord Blackadder and his cousin McAdder against Mad Tom and Nameless Bob, a pair of border hard cases hired to kill Blackadder.

The Adders are both protagonist with Q3 C4, the thugs are Q3 C3 as Edmunds not the popinjay they think he is and McAdder is of course a psycho. Tom is a protagonist.

So, duel one, the borderers get initiative and stuff up activation. Edmund charges in and disarms Mad Tom in Mad Toms turn. I forgot to activate Edmund so he stood gloating at Tom. McAdder activates next and piles in, disarming bob - his sword is 5' away and pushes him back. That's about it as the Adders have thoroughly disarmed their attackers.

Duel two,  McAdder and Bob draw in the first turn, Bob gets to activate a prop but as it's the middle of the road....nothing. McAdder pushes Bob back into a market stall which breaks under his weight, collapses and knocks Bob out.....

Tom attacks Edmund ,fails but is disarmed, while Edmund is distracted, presumably by a passing wench.  Tom spends an activation to draw a poniard and loses his attack, Edmund promptly grapples him, pinning his dagger hand and then.....throws him against a cart, the "fight" with the cart is a draw....so the cart stays where it is but a barrel rolls off it onto Tom, knocking him over.  Edmund still has two activations, moves up, attacks Tom and totally defeats him, both wounding him and humbling him - perhaps by slashing his belt so his breeches fall down.

Quite fun and very much in the spirit of the Richard Lester films. I think it may be worth porting the combat results from Kung Fu into Flashing Steel - though you do have to rationalise what's going on a bit. As a solo player that does stop the flow but when Tom was getting attacked by a barrel and "drew" with it, theoretically letting me activate another prop, I had eneough and just knocked him off his feet. Definite comedy value though. I don't have any swashbuckling tavern kit so I'm thinking of a "random terrain interaction" table in which you roll to see what activates, the room can be presumed to be littered with chairs, bottles, apples eye but they only really matter when they are needed.

So, food for thought but mire importantly a bit of fun

All for one etc

Maff.