Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:43:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Perry WotR light horse pics.  (Read 17152 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Perry WotR light horse pics.
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2015, 08:09:12 AM »
Besides any historical background dicussion this conversion is really excellent.
 ;)

Very true  :)

Darrell.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2015, 11:10:23 AM »
like him !!! Even when there can only be a few of them ;)
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Paul

• Mastermind
    • Paul´s Bods
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2015, 08:02:18 PM »
There are lots of famous (alleged) horse archers in history I know, from Scythians to Samurai. I suppose the question here is whether a sodding great yew longbow is really a practical weapon to shoot successfully from horseback. Obviously it can be done with smaller, lighter composite bows... But a 6ft longbow stave with a 50lb draw weight? With the gee-gee underneath you moving around all the time? Seems unlikely, although that's not to say it was never done, and I will certainly be making a figure firing his longbow from horseback - just because I can :D

I always assumed it was possible...Maybe the accuracy wasn´t as achievable as when using one from a Standing Position but loosing arrows from horseback  into the "Brown"..?

if this guy can, then someone who was brought up with horses and bows definately could.
I knew the truck didn´t want to hit me...it had dodge written on the front

Paul´s Bods Blog
Federation of Bodstonia

Offline le bon roi rene

• Bookworm
  • "Me and _my_ army! Kachunga!"
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2015, 08:10:32 PM »
I think that is worth remembering. The English of this period (particularly those contracted and commissioned) were not from an equestrian tradition. We're not speaking of the knightly classes were talking working class soldiers.

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2015, 10:27:35 PM »
Yes, obviously it is possible to do it!

...with some training.

However, the tactical efficacity in battle is still an interesting subject for discussion. :)

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 10:30:41 PM by Patrice »

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2015, 06:52:46 AM »
I think that is worth remembering. The English of this period (particularly those contracted and commissioned) were not from an equestrian tradition. We're not speaking of the knightly classes were talking working class soldiers.

I beg to differ... while indeed the typical foot archer was 'working class' to 'lower-middle class', with a fair few 'yeomen' smallholders at the top end (income range of £2-£10 pa), the bulk of the mounted archers were not (£10-15 pa), they were the wealthier of the yeomenry -outright owners of land... on a par with farmers today, so indeed while they might claim poverty, their poverty was of a different order to the rest of us and they walked nowhere, and often owned several horses.

Okay a fair number of professional mounted archers will have risen from the ranks and gained mounts and equipment by fair means or foul, but nevertheless and whichever way you cut it, mounted archers were horse-owners and only a small step below the 'gentleman squire' who made up the bulk of the men at arms... the poorer of whom can be found in the Tudor era serving as mounted archers.

So while strictly-speaking not an 'equestrian class' (bearing in mind a fair number of the men at arms class weren't so noble - the elder two Pastons were lawyers and the first one's wife was a 'bondswoman' - a serf), neither were they uncertain which end of a horse was the front.

:)  
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 06:56:49 AM by Arlequín »

Offline Paul

• Mastermind
    • Paul´s Bods
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2015, 12:53:33 PM »
I beg to differ... while indeed the typical foot archer was 'working class' to 'lower-middle class', with a fair few 'yeomen' smallholders at the top end (income range of £2-£10 pa), the bulk of the mounted archers were not (£10-15 pa), they were the wealthier of the yeomenry -outright owners of land... on a par with farmers today, so indeed while they might claim poverty, their poverty was of a different order to the rest of us and they walked nowhere, and often owned several horses.

Exactly. From 20 mins in this vid

(the same one the Clip of loosing arrows using a longbow from horseback came from) he mentions how well paid the mounted archers were..6 pence a day compared to 4 pence for a foot archer..and they were quite well off before being employed in any campaign, they owned land and thier own horses,   like the one mentioned in the video, William Jauderell.
Riding horses was a skill they had already aquired as was the use of a longbow..so why couldn´t /wouldn´t they on Occasion Combine the two?
Not an equestrian Tradition like say some eurasian cultures but nonetheless, they weren´t all Hollywood style footsloggers.

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2015, 11:21:02 AM »
Sorry bout the threadomancy, but I hadnt seen this posted, and I myself certainly missed it, buried, as it was, in the comments of some picture on facebook.

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2015, 11:48:34 AM »
I missed these,wonder what they are like compared to fireforge cavalry?
I may get some of these,to mix bits. lol

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2015, 03:44:05 PM »

Okay a fair number of professional mounted archers will have risen from the ranks and gained mounts and equipment by fair means or foul, but nevertheless and whichever way you cut it, mounted archers were horse-owners and only a small step below the 'gentleman squire' who made up the bulk of the men at arms... the poorer of whom can be found in the Tudor era serving as mounted archers.

So while strictly-speaking not an 'equestrian class' (bearing in mind a fair number of the men at arms class weren't so noble - the elder two Pastons were lawyers and the first one's wife was a 'bondswoman' - a serf), neither were they uncertain which end of a horse was the front.

:)  

Absolutely!! They were generally recruited not not from the serf in the field with his back breaking labour; rather they were recruited from the higher echelons of the equivalent of what we would now call working class, even lower middle class (though by making I'm on shakey ground).

Darrell.