Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:35:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690652
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sir Phileas Fogg's not so well known Adventures  (Read 3859 times)

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • 起O ... gnihihi ...
Sir Phileas Fogg's not so well known Adventures
« on: February 24, 2015, 08:06:53 PM »
Hi there,

been back from the tactica at Hamburg with tons of new minis in my bag (not literally, but close) and a somewhat strange rulebook. And ... boy do I like it! So I used some LAMs do produce my first troup. Guess what? I thought about, what might have happened, after Phileas Fogg came home. Don't you think that some fellow - very impressed of the articles in the newspapers - from a special and very secretive branch might drop in a few weeks later, asking this question and that, to confirm a given detail.
And - haveyounotseen - some not so much weeks later the not so well known new adventures of Sir Phileas Fogg started.

So now is the time, that Sir Phileas Fogg will find out, what really had happen on the famous German Zeppelin Frontenburg, what really caused the Tangasky event or why the unsinkable oceanliner Daunticanic really sank. Boy, I'm so courious what finding he will bring.

And I somehow think, that a fellow of mine - who happens to buy the rulebook and some LAMs, too - might  have a "word" in that disussion too.

I'm off now, need to prepare some and for adventures ...

best wishes
DK
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 10:51:56 PM by Drachenklinge »
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
Re: Sir Phileas Fogg's not so well known Adventures
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 05:11:48 AM »
Welcome to the mad house  :D

We shall look forwards to hearing from you on how it goes. If you have any questions, please ask.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 03:20:21 AM »
Intriguing possibilities here: standing beside the dapper Mr. Fogg are his beautiful Indian wife Aouda, who is possessed--no doubt!--with formidable Mystical Powers, and the resourceful and loyal Passepartout. And rounding out his company....whom, exactly? Perhaps a man like Scotland Yard's Detective Fix would possess certain skills that could come in handy. And to round out the Company....well, just use your imagination.  ;)

Great idea! I await its development with great anticipation. I am especially interested in your choice of miniatures to round out your Company!

I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • 起O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 05:49:58 AM »
You're right, Lady Aouda is a must have. I already have her in, but did not think about some mystic. I rather thought, she'd wear a vulcan coat, because nearly have been burned alive cured any believe in Indian's myths.
But then ... displaying some mystical powers seems exactly the right thing for a woman from India ... hmmm
So far I need to order a Passepartout, not sure which, but there are quite a few minis out there.

Sgt. Fips is a nice idea, too, haven't thought of that at all. Maybe, he is eather still suspicious, or completely turned towards Sir Phileas.
And I also like to add some Indish fellows, which came to England just recently, after having heard, that her beloved Mistress Aouda is still alive. Hey, how about an old old nanny of Aouda, and SHE has certain powers?
Yesyesyes, quite the bunch of options, love it.

Ahm ... does anyone know a steam elephant? Certain missions might require that.

best wishes
DK

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 11:54:27 AM »
You could always mimic the Disney version of Around the World in 80 Days and turn Passepartou into an expert martial artist:

This promotion image for the movie reminds me that you could give your Company a flying machine of some sort as well! And isn't that a Jump Pack in the upper right corner? The ideas just keep on coming.... :D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 11:56:08 AM by oabee »

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • 起O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 04:06:04 PM »
Uuuiiiii, right again, although I like the original version with a French Passepartout more. However, maybe an old friend of Sir Phileas' father, Prof. Lidenbrock will join as mentor as well, having heard of the adventure, using some of his findings, he up until now has never mentioned  :o ... hnhnhn ... I really didn't know, that they where all involved ;)
Need to read Verne again, to see who will show up, too

best wishes
DK

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • 起O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 12:32:12 PM »
armed with new ideas from this thread, I surfed a bit for other minis. There are lot of very nice r&f troopers for lesser points, but ... do you have some suggestions for an Indish lady, influenced by her Britsh husband, looking a bit mystical??  o_o
Actually I didn't find Indish lady at all

thanks in advance
DK

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 11:38:34 PM »
The only purely Indian female figures I know are from Eureka:

http://eurekamin.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=9345

There may be some fantasy figures with appropriate dress.

I would imagine, however, that something Arabic would do, although I am at a loss for an appropriate figure. Perhaps the best choice would be to adopt a female in Western dress.

Dark Sword Miniatures have a large selection, and particularly some of Tom Meier's could be appropriate. Wargames Foundry has Victorian ladies in their Darkest Africa, Tim Prow's Victorian, and Egyptian Adventure ranges. On Reaper's site search for "steampunk" and you will fine several women. Rowena Von Graaf and the Female Mad Scientist are possibilities. Ironclad has Mina Harker plus a whole lot of characters to fill out your Company. Microart Studios has some good ones: Lady Ellen immediately springs to mind. Black Scorpion's Tombstone range has a pair of Victorian dressed ladies (in addition to all the scantily clad ones!), each of which comes in an armed and unarmed version. Blue Moon has an entire boxed set of Victorian civilians.

And I'm sure I'm forgetting some.....

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 05:59:03 AM »
In the many interpritations of the story, at least 3 movies, a couple of comic books & some abridged print versions, Phileas Fogg has had encounters with a great many historical & fictional personages. Many of whom are on very freindly terms with him. Alot of them could be called in as allies or possably point men in their part of the world he may need to travel. As far as a steam elephant is concerned,
does anyone know a steam elephant? Certain missions might require that.
Stonehouse Miniatures does a very fine one. I have one of them myself.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • 起O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 09:45:16 AM »
Thanks a lot for the suggestions!
I did some "work", so here are my first characters.
(after reading control I realized some serious tense problems ... I mixed past present person s perfect future stuff and whatnot, but I hope you get the feeing, did not want to make it worse with correcting ;) )

Sir Phileas Fogg's Troup and their not so well known adventures

In London's high society Sir Phileas Fogg is a well known gentleman, who knows how to behave. However, he has quite some temperament, which shows from time to time and not the least in his adventurous spirit.
He recieved a small collection of arc-technology on which the government could lay their hands on from other missions for using it as he think best. So he quickly handed it out to his little troup.
Nevertheless for - shall we say more personal encounters he still prefered his trusted cane. Actually a rapier inside a cane scabbard, which is in some way in possession of his family for quite some time. Rebuild many times but the blade is till both original and sharp.

Lady Aouda, though from India has adopted quite quick to the western way of live. And she did even more. Though getting quite a few sceptical looks from more traditional persons, Lady Aouda is splendidly matching her husband in so many ways. Adventerous, daring, brave.
Her former life seems to have burned away as well as all of her believe in any "mystical nonsense" when she was rescued from the funeral pile. Burning by your own people can do this to you.
However, this also left some scars. And if not physical then to her mind, because she is still afraid to get burned.
But her way to cope with her new life has inspired all the people around her always to do nothing but the best.

When it comes to Passepartout it seems, he did not get out of all adventures that lucky because he lost his arm in the process. Sir Fogg's connection to certain secretive people made a very special solution possible, though. As a trusted and valued servant - meanwhile more of a friend  - Passepartout has to carry the more important equipment anyway, so he always can rely on energy for his limb. And since he has to care for the sensual connection to his body he also got some basic medical knowlegde.
Most people think that Passepartout is a coward, but Fogg knew better. When in battle it always took a moment - say a bullet with Passepartout's name on it - for him to remember how to fight.
In most cases though his funny accent helps Passepartout to get out of trouble, before it gets serious.

The hunter
Archibald is a very close friend to Fogg which joined the fray without hessitation when Fogg asked him to.
His experience in hunting big game in Africa, India, North- and South-America and other places came in handy. Fogg did not know a better hunter so he gave hime a rifle with some minor but special adaptations getting the most out of Archibald's skills.
And since Archibald got bored from hunting animals which didn't have hurt him he now hunts arc technology and enemies of and for the British Empire.

Sir Phileas Fogg 47p
Pluck 2+, SV +2, FV +4, Arc Pistol, Cane (Rapier)
Gentleman (Duellist, Cane)
Faraday Coat

Lady Aouda 37p
Pluck 4+, SV +2, FV +2, Arc Pistol
inspirational, impervous
Faraday Coat, Vulcan Coat

Passepartout 56p
Pluck 5+, SV +1, FV +3, pistol, electric limb, arc generator,
medic, french accent (erudite wit), coward (intuitive),
jack

Hunter 49p
Pluck 5+, SV +4, FV +0, Hunterrifle, 1 Grenade
marksman, hunter, stealthy
Jack

Thats my first shot for the first characters. I obviuosly need an engineer (sort of means a high pluck value), but I do not want to put in another high plucked profile, so maybe this engineer can do only engineering and somehow Sir Fogg seems not the one to get his hands dirty in any way ... so not sure right now.  Since I also need some rank&file I have to put some thought into it, to make it fit to the idea of the a Fogg-troup.
Maybe some old friends from India as mentioned before.

Aouda's female servant 18p
Pluck 5+, SV +0, FV +3, martial arts, martial artist, medic
Jack

I also thought of an automaton like this
Automaton 43p
Pluck 3+, SV +0, FV +0
engineer, metal skeleton (steel), clockwork (fearless, impervous), small and hard to hit (tough)

But now I want to use this idea for a gang on its own.

Going back to "work" and a hard one it is ;)

best wishes
DK
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 10:07:36 AM by Drachenklinge »