Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:02:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686495
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Simon de Montfort  (Read 7938 times)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Simon de Montfort
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2015, 10:48:39 PM »
Great brush work Cubs.

Has the miniature not got a scabbard for his sword? I cannot see one.

No, but in fairness that wasn't uncommon for a man at arms on foot to leave the scabbard behind for the duration of the battle, since it could tangle in the legs. Some would ostentatiously throw it away (presumably to be picked up quietly by a servant) to show their willingness to fight. Besides, if he was originally mounted, the scabbard could have been attached to the horse.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2015, 01:30:35 PM »
You have a point there I guess.
It reminds me of a story that the registrar at my wedding told us about a soldier of diminutive height who managed to trip over his dress sword as he walked down the aisle, so yes I guess that did happen!

Great painting as always anyway. :)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2015, 09:35:22 AM »
Well, it's just because I recently read a book where a lot of the young hothead nobles did just that before a battle! 

Julesav,  I am only an amateur medieval historian so pardon if this is a stupid question.  Wouldn't the son's heraldry revert to the father's hereditary colors after the father has passed away?  Otherwise, wouldn't a family's heraldry be constantly changing?  Thanks for the interesting info.

Allen

This one is an interesting point however. The illustration post-battle does show the red lion on white, but then it's hardly photographic evidence and since the entire picture is only red and white, it could have just been more convenient for the artist to draw it that way.

Offline julesav

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2015, 09:59:22 AM »
Hi Guys

Cubs: I totally agree with you - the customer is king! also I'd love to see Simon in pink latex! I just thought you should know what that site said rather than have a disgruntled customer (not knowing the customer had specified the coat of arms to use). I also should have said 'fantastic painting'!

RampantLion: I think you may be right about the son taking on the father's coat of arms on the father's death. I suspect that heraldic rules are a rather later invention and that in the 1200s and 1300s things heraldic were fairly free and easy.

"Some scientists say that humans exhibit a behavior called neophilia, which is a preference for new objects. It’s why we like shiny new things."

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2015, 10:17:31 AM »
You have done a great job on this Cubs. I can't wait to get hold of the figure.

Iain

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2015, 11:41:46 AM »
You have done a great job on this Cubs. I can't wait to get hold of the figure.

Iain

Me too, though sadly I'm unlikely to be at many shows where WI are this year  :-[

Darrell.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2015, 04:23:32 PM »
Thanks guys.

Me too, though sadly I'm unlikely to be at many shows where WI are this year  :-[

Darrell.

Well this is their giveaway model throughout the whole of 2015, so if you know someone going to more than one show you might be able to sweet-talk them into picking one up for you.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2015, 06:02:47 PM »
Thanks guys.

Well this is their giveaway model throughout the whole of 2015, so if you know someone going to more than one show you might be able to sweet-talk them into picking one up for you.

Good point.... I'll have to get my ass to the club first.... it's been a while!

Darrell.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2015, 07:14:15 PM »
You know a question that I get asked once every never?

"What happens if your customer gives away their Special Edition models in a frenzy of over-excitement at a show and then wonders what they're going to do for the other shows?"

Well, since no-one has asked me that yet, I have never had to think of an answer. BUT, if they had, I'd say something along the lines of, "Well, I guess they'd contact me and (slightly sheepishly) confess their behaviour and ask me to paint another one."

Is it okay to post a replica job of the same model? Why the hell not I say, especially since I like the face and sword on this one a little more.

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2015, 08:11:01 AM »
Pretty damn nice cubs.  :D

I think I like this one more too.
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."