Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:42:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691078
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 8
Guests: 798
Total: 806

Recent

Author Topic: Hessian uniforms  (Read 5864 times)

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
Hessian uniforms
« on: February 24, 2015, 11:46:29 PM »
What  28mm figures should I use for German mercenaries for the French and Indian war? Wikipedia says they wore 'there own uniforms'- as opposed to British ones, but no more details, and the only pictures I can find are from the ACW.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline bulldogger2000

• Scientist
Re: Hessian uniforms
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 03:48:34 AM »
Unless there is some history that I have missed, Hessians were not involved in the F&I War.  They were involved in the European SYW.  In the American colonies they were hired by the British forces during the American Revolution.

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 09:40:39 AM »
This is the first time ive heard that as well. I don't think Hesse fared too well during the SYW so i doubt they would have sent soldiers to North America. There will have been Germans fighting for sure but they would have been settlers who fought in the Militia i would think.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 10:21:09 AM »
Unless there is some history that I have missed, Hessians were not involved in the F&I War.  They were involved in the European SYW.  In the American colonies they were hired by the British forces during the American Revolution.

In the french-indian-war (part of the seven years war) hessia was confederated with the britain. Hessia had a lot of problems in their own country (siege of kassel), that it is really hard to believe that they officially send mercenaries.
But there were poverty, so settlers went to america.
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline clibinarium

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 12:33:21 PM »
I don't think any fought in America during the SYW, but here's a load of info on their uniforms anyway;
http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=Hesse-Kassel_Army

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 01:45:41 PM »
Right ho. That's probably why I couldn't find any information. Thank you.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 02:33:33 PM »
I think the first official mercenaries were sent to America as part of a support-contract between Hessia and Britain in the AWI. King George III was uncle of the Lord of Hessen-Kassel. The contract was signed in January 1776. So it is nearly impossible, that regular troops fought in the french-indian-wars.

Offline Gangleri

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 02:59:34 PM »
What  28mm figures should I use for German mercenaries for the French and Indian war?

It's important to note that the Germans under British command were not, strictly speaking, mercenaries.  They were still in the employ of their regional rulers, whose uniforms they wore and from whom they received their pay; these rulers rented out units of their own regular armies (usually to Britain) for considerable fees, and the men themselves had no say in the matter.

Many English-speaking colonists, Rebel and Tory alike, loathed and feared them as non-English-speaking 'foreigners,' and American propaganda cast them as savage and rapacious hirelings.  This depiction stuck so fast that even today, official signage at battlefields refers to them as mercenaries.
Now what is this whole life of mortals but a sort of comedy, in which the various actors, disguised by various costumes and masks, walk on and play each one his part, until the manager waves them off the stage?

http://stokefield.blogspot.com/

http://wellrallyonceagain.blogspot.com/

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 03:27:20 PM »
Whereas in Germany, particularly in modern Hessen, there's a popular tradition to blame the Landgraf not only for "selling" soldiers to fight and die in a foreigner's war but also for forcefully pressing men into service in order to fund his flamboyant lifestyle. Lots of misunderstandings on all sides, I'd say. ;)

Lately I've read about the Hanoverians of the KGL stationed in Britain before they left for Flanders. Allegedly, the locals were keen to take a look at the 'German beasts' – and quite surprised that, contrary to popular belief, those men were able to talk, dance and sing, to cut their hair and use knife and fork. :D

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 04:37:39 PM »
Yes. It's amazing what you can teach a German given sufficient application of the old carrot and stick technique. (I am of course being ironic, Before anybody complains)

I have worked out the source of my confusion. The Muskets and Tomahawk book has an army list for 'The German Mercenaries', but now that I have checked I see that it does specify that they were for use in the American War of Independence. Which is a shame because I am already bored of painting redcoats.

What about colonial militia. What uniform did they where?

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 04:55:59 PM »
The most commom provincial militia uniform was probably blue coat, with red facing.

http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=British_Army

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 10:58:29 PM »
Lately I've read about the Hanoverians of the KGL stationed in Britain before they left for Flanders. Allegedly, the locals were keen to take a look at the 'German beasts' – and quite surprised that, contrary to popular belief, those men were able to talk, dance and sing, to cut their hair and use knife and fork. :D

I blame Roman propaganda ;)

Offline folnjir

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 09:31:21 AM »
Check Kronoskaf for examples, but as mentioned above most were in blue of some description. The Pennsylvanians wore green though if you wanted something different.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 12:15:24 PM »
The Pennsylvania uniform actually changed a couple of times. At one point they were in brown faced red, IIRC.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 01:04:34 AM »
Rob, do please check this documentary about the FIW for uniforms and scenario ideas.
Very good.