Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:10:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Evidence for formed units of crossbow in the Italian Wars?  (Read 1396 times)

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
Evidence for formed units of crossbow in the Italian Wars?
« on: February 25, 2015, 07:03:43 PM »
Hi guys, I require your advice, please.

Most of the army lists I have give Italian states the option to use 'close order' (probably, more accurately 'order') units of crossbowmen. However, I can't find any evidence for their use in my other sources, which seem to indicate an Italian preference for skirmishing in open order.

Is it a war-gamey thing, or is there firm evidence that they were used in 'formed bodies'?
If there is evidence, were they used in 'formed bodies' often?

I ask because in the next few weeks I intend putting in a Perry Minis figure order for some early war Italian foot (for 1495 - 1500) and I want to firm up on what I'll need. I have already have 112 crossbowmen in skirmish order and 32 in formed bodies (I'm not sure I should have done the latter) and don't want to add more in formed bodies only to find out I didn't actually need them - I'd rather invest my limited 'Italian Wars' budget in early Italian melee troops as I only have 32 of these.

In fact, I quite like to re-base the formed ones I have into skirmish, so fingers crossed on your advice.

Thanks,

James

Offline Sirolf

• Librarian
Re: Evidence for formed units of crossbow in the Italian Wars?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 03:41:47 AM »
Hey James,

The extent to which crossbowmen were employed in close order depends on several factors, such as the period you are looking at, the type of army, and the situation. If you are looking at late 15th to early 16th century, you should be safe fielding close order crossbowmen. Italian armies of the time were known for their mobile assault infantry, with light lancers and swordsmen backed up by skirmishing crossbowmen. However, these were usually professional mercenary infantry, and did not make up the bulk of the army. Armies often included big bodies of city militias and local garrisons, which would usually adopt more traditional closed formations of shielded lancers/pikemen/billmen and mass crossbowmen/handgunners. Just try to avoid pavises though. Hope it helps.

Francisco

Some Sources:
"Military Organization of a Renaissance State" Hale and Mallett
"Caravaggio 1448" M.Predonzani.
"Mercenaries and Their Masters" Mallett.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 03:11:32 PM by Sirolf »