Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:31:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Not the size this time, but what is a proper height for a wargames table?  (Read 5134 times)

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
I'm of average height (1.75 mtr) and I'm looking to make my own table this year (max 120x120 table space so that's set) and this has me wondering, what would be a good height? I don't want to bend over too much all the time and my arms can reach the center of the table easily. The current base height is 90cm's due to fact that it is the size of the kitchen cabinet base plus wheels. If I go taller I would gain more storage space underneath, but what would be most practical?

Dice, books and other stuff won't be on the table but on a desk nearby, the gaming table is just for that, gaming.

Any ideas highly appreciated as I tend to lack from tunnelvission and overthinking :)
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Not the size this time, but what is a proper height for a wargames table?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 12:14:20 AM »
I can't say what is ideal, but I have an elevated table top to place on top on a standard table (for boards up to 3'x3') which brings the action to about eye level when sitting at the table (which I like a lot). We can still easily move stuff about when standing up, and we have a lot of space for accessories, snacks, and drinks beneath the playing surface.

Most often, though, we just place the boards on top of standard dining tables.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Online armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 10:49:45 AM »
I game on a standard dining table so approx. 1m high. I think though if I could custom build something I would go higher so eye level sitting down would be good as Argonor mentioned.

Having played games on tables this height in the past, it seems easier on the back as you don’t need to bend much to reach across as long as your table isn’t too deep.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 02:11:19 PM »
I built mine slightly higher than a kitchen worktop. I can comfortably play games, reach the middle of my 5ft wide table and use it as a work table.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 02:13:58 PM »
Not built one myself but think around 1100mm would be ideal as it is typically the height of a handrail on a staircase. I suppose it would however depend on whether standing or sitting when playing

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 02:28:39 PM »
Hmm, sitting or standing.... both L and R sides have 50cm room to move, so sitting seems to be out of the question, so standing room only when I slot it against my desks. Just measured 110 cm (coincidentally the height of the worktables here at the repair centre where I work) and that seems like a just fine height for me. Also found some wheels that can bear the weight and don't cost 30 euros a pop (more added to my Ikea shopping list) so I think even with the addition of a extra level I can stay under my 500 euro budget for a mobile gaming table with plenty of storage, which is nice (even if it means selling more stuff to fund it).

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 09:54:02 PM »
I've heard that a cutting table (for sewing/tailoring) should ideally be hip-height.
I'd guess the same would apply for gaming, since both involve stretching across a table.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 03:10:26 PM »
Back when we used to almost exclusively play 40K on a large table (240x120cm), the tables at both my club and my regular opponent were about 120cm tall, because those games were played with us always standing.

Nowadays, we mostly play skirmish games, and the playing surfaces have dropped in both size (120x120cm) and height; between 80cm and 100cm, depending on the venue, and we usually play sitting down.

I don't know if this is due to the fact that we're getting older and less energetic, or that the smaller surfaces can be all be reached from a chair, as opposed to having to scoot left and right to handle units across the entire table. But the fact remains...

Still; when I finally get to build my definitive table, I am planning on making it 120cm tall, even though it will be able to convert from 120x120 to 120x180cm when required. The idea was to also be able to store terrain and boards underneath. Then again; when I finally get around to it, I might be even older and wearier and decide to lower the surface anyway (even though there'll be less storage space that way)... ::)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 09:32:57 AM »
mine has kitchen counter hight . If we want to sit down we use bar chairs wich can be adjusted in hight.
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Online dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 03:23:20 PM »
In one of the Donald Featherstone books he says that the best height is where the player can reach more than half way across the table without bending too much.  My one is 95cm high to the table top.  This avoids back strain.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 12:22:08 AM »
mine has kitchen counter hight . If we want to sit down we use bar chairs wich can be adjusted in hight.

This would be my preference, maybe even a smidge taller if you want to use it sitting and standing.  Bar-height office-style chairs (often called "Drafting Stools" ) are a great way to comfortably sit back next to a tall-ish table.  My FLGS has this arrangement.   It's nice and it means you don't have to bend over as much when standing.  A taller table also leaves more room underneath for storage.  Don't discount the value of lots of under-table storage space.