Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:03:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686508
  • Total Topics: 118106
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ash Waste Nomads.... (RT/-I-Munda Project) UD:31/10  (Read 70262 times)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Ash Waste Nomads.... (RT/-I-Munda Project) UD:31/10
« on: February 27, 2015, 12:49:29 AM »
I have slowly been squirrelling away some old classic Citadel Rogue Trader figures for a venture back into the 41st Millennium with the intention of doing some small scale skirmishing using the RT rules and the original ideas before the whole system went crazy.

I intend doing small ship's crews, Inquisitorial retinues, Necromunda gangs, mercenaries, pirates, salvage crews, single squads etc without going off into 'army' territory.

Another of my recent endeavours has involved collecting the old Citadel Eternal Champion figures to build a Melnibonean army.
One of the spin-offs of this has been that I have acquired a few 'damaged' figures in the process, mainly characters from the range.
They seemed perfect to me to convert into an Eldar pirate crew with a little conversion so I thought that I would start there (as I could not resist messing about with them and a little green stuff) and add in a few old Eldar for good measure.
I will probably convert them too.
 ;)

Here are some WIP shots of what I am doing with them...

First up are some standard figures that will form part of the crew, not converted (yet!)....

I will do a little bit of work on them, but not too heavy.

This should give an idea of the sort of thing that may happen to them...

The Eldar on the left is a standard RT figure that had a broken arm.
I simply repaired it and added a an armour plate.
He also received a cloak, as I think this should give them a nice 'buccaneer-like' look.

The one on the right began life as a Melnibonean infantryman, but lost his spear arm for another conversion.
The addition of a few plastic bits from the more recent Eldar sprues (Thanks, weismonsters!) and another GS cloak should make him fit in quite nicely.
I still need to do something to his right leg to finish him off, and hide the scar where his spear used to be...

I am working on a few of the characters from the EC range at the moment as well.
More on those tomorrow.....

« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 11:16:44 AM by Mason »

Offline Bobble

• Scientist
Re: Rogue Traders of the 41st Millenium: Eldar Pirates WIP
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 07:24:36 AM »
Looking good,mate. Nice cloaks. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 08:30:02 AM »
Looking good,mate. Nice cloaks. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out

Cheers, mate.
 :)

These are just the basic fellas of the crew (the redshirts, for want of a better description), I have used some of the EC personalities that were damaged to make more characterful members of the crew, officers and such like.

Here is the first of them, based on an Elric figure, the leader of the armsmen.

Wearing an ancient suit of Scorpion Armour, and armed with plastic weapons from the more recent releases.
I have tried to get a kind of samurai look going on with this fella.

There are a couple more figures that are almost finished.
Piccies when they are done.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 02:12:09 PM by Mason »

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 08:37:04 AM »
Looking great so far, I can't wait to see what else you come up with!

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 08:44:49 AM »
Looks like an interesting project
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 09:51:27 AM »
Great start.  ;)

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the next figures. Those melniboneans have a bit of a dark Eldar vibe to them.
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 10:03:30 AM »
Looks like an interesting project

Cheers, mate.

Great start.  ;)

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the next figures. Those melniboneans have a bit of a dark Eldar vibe to them.

Cheers, Ray.

As for the Dark Eldar feel...the original idea for Eldar did not have two seperate races, just a reference to some Eldar having a preference and reputation for being a little cold and twisted, hnce the pirates thing.
This is what I am aiming for with these, not specifically 'Dark Eldar' but certainly not nice guys.
 ;)

Looking great so far, I can't wait to see what else you come up with!

Cheers!
Here is a WIP shot of another one.
I see him as one of the bridge crew, maybe even an officer of sorts....

A conversion of the EC Dyvim Tvar sculpt.

He is almost finished, but I do feel the need to do something else, just have not decided what yet.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 10:05:56 AM »

Thats a very nice start Mason, I really like the Corsair Eldar vibe.

I have been looking forward to seeing you get stuck into the RT style warband thing for a few years now, so its great to see it start to materialise.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 11:39:21 AM »
Great stuff there Paul! 8)

I've always loved the RT era Eldar, and I have my own little stash of them for use as a pirate band as well. Any ideas on the paintscheme you'll be using?

Whenever I get to doing up mine, they'll probably be sporting the classic black/grey/blue armour and yellow with black tiger stripes helmets.

I especially like the way you have repaired the broken minis; they already have a lot of character in the metal/green and fit in nicely with the rest.

Will you be using the Ghost Warrior as a regular Guardian?

And how big a warband are you aiming at? I always had the 3rd ed Combat Patrol rules in mind, so somewhere between 10 and 20 individuals.

Apparently you're going full fledged RT, so will there maybe be vehicles as well?

Keep it up mate; you're being all inspirational again... :D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Tacgnol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 11:53:07 AM »
Nice greenstuff work! I'm watching with interest- any thread that features a ghost warrior has my attention straight away, I love those old sculpts. Design perfection.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 01:10:26 PM »
Thats a very nice start Mason, I really like the Corsair Eldar vibe.

I have been looking forward to seeing you get stuck into the RT style warband thing for a few years now, so its great to see it start to materialise.

Cheers, mate.

It is at least partially your fault.
Between yourself and a good few others doing all things RT on here, it has pushed me into wanting to dip my toe in too.

Nice greenstuff work! I'm watching with interest- any thread that features a ghost warrior has my attention straight away, I love those old sculpts. Design perfection.

I agree, they are some of my favourites too.
 :D

Great stuff there Paul! 8)

Whenever I get to doing up mine, they'll probably be sporting the classic black/grey/blue armour and yellow with black tiger stripes helmets.

I especially like the way you have repaired the broken minis; they already have a lot of character in the metal/green and fit in nicely with the rest.

Keep it up mate; you're being all inspirational again... :D

Cheers, mate.
Plenty of others on here have inspired me to give this a go, so blame them, not me.

Your questions....

I've always loved the RT era Eldar, and I have my own little stash of them for use as a pirate band as well. Any ideas on the paintscheme you'll be using?

I had a small Eldar army in second edition that had grey armour and crimson detailing, so I will probably do something similar but maybe lighter to make it fresh.

Will you be using the Ghost Warrior as a regular Guardian?

Not sure yet.
I like the idea of of a kind of drone-type that can take a lot of damage.
We shall see....

And how big a warband are you aiming at? I always had the 3rd ed Combat Patrol rules in mind, so somewhere between 10 and 20 individuals.

With these fellas, probably about ten or so.
Other forces may be bigger or smaller, but 20 would be about the largest I will go.
That will be the Iron Claw Space Pirates, I have spent years wanting to paint those.
 ;)

Apparently you're going full fledged RT, so will there maybe be vehicles as well?

I am hoping to add a vehicle or similoar to each group, but not necessarily at the same time.
I will probably come back to the Eldar one when I see something that catches my eye.

Offline Legionnaire Bert

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 01:36:31 PM »
This looks like a really nice project Mason, having discussed it with you it is very good to see it in pictures, especially at this early stage. I really like the cloaks, they're a fantastic flourish. It makes me wish I still had my original 90s orks to create a rival warband. I had a smattering or ork, eldar and Guard 90s models at one time but I don't have anything left from those ranges, sadly. Hence the adage - never get rid of anything!

40K pirates is an inspiring theme though. I know there are ranges of fantasy orc pirates out there, so I am tempted to use those with a few contemporary ork weapons from the GW range. Ork pirates that actually look like pirates could be a must!

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 03:29:11 PM »
I was going to do a similar thing ,like Logan's world meets necromunda,squat mining gangs ,slavers,bandits ,cults ,etc.
Never got round to it,bought loads of miniatures though, lol

Offline axiom

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Magpie and old lead
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 07:57:48 PM »
Interesting conversions - the Eternal Champion figures are a good starting point. Cabling and a few minor touches and they're a great match for the RT space elves. Looking forward to seeing these progress.

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 08:11:27 PM »
Oh Christ I had a very similar thing in mind to o_o

I am playing RT but using 3rd edition rules, with VDR and creature designer etc :o

Well gents my next battle is Jadeberry Hill and I will try and take photos and do a write up.

I was also planing on using Necromunda for doing a Logans world type thingy too, and Mordheim to.

Keep up the good stuff, top notch by the way!

Glen
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.