Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:25:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690962
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Perry Plastic Napoleonics  (Read 3811 times)

Offline Major Weenie

• Scientist
  • Never Too Early for a Refreshing Beverage!
    • The Bengal Club
Perry Plastic Napoleonics
« on: October 31, 2008, 03:35:16 AM »
Not sure where to put 'Napoleonics,'
But they are '19th century' so here goes.

Just received my box of Perry Plastic French Napoleonic Infantry. They are magnificent. The turn around time seemed very fast to me, and the box contains 42 figures for £17.70 At an exchange rate of $1.70 to the pound that's $30.09 for 42 figures, or 72 cents each. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.
  Besides the figures the box contains enough bright green bases to mount the figures for.... I'm not quite sure which rules set. There are some individual bases to make change when casualties occur, but the frontage of the group bases is less than 60mm. So what ever the noble Perry's are using to game with can't be 'DBR Related.'
  The figures are the same height as the previous ACW box, but they're a bit beefier. But not quite Old Glory style stocky. I actual like these better than the ACW figures. Half the privates are in great coats, and half are in the regular infantry uniform, with long trousers and covered shakos. There are 3 command figures; drummer, officer, standard bearer and 6 'skirmishers.' Unlike the ordinary privates the 2 different skirmishers come with separate arms. So you can switch them around between shooting and loading. Loading is really holding the musket in the left hand whist reaching for the cartridge box.
  There are also lots of extra heads, some in shakos, some in various types of forage cap. What's interesting here is that they spare heads come with the collar. This will make it easier to swap heads, because you don't need to worry about spoiling the collar on the torso. You just clip off the head, file down the shoulders flat, and glue on the new head. Very well though out.
  There are also instructions on the box on how to select the correct pack to glue on to the figures. Fusiliers should get the pack without the sword hanging down. Grenadiers and Voltigeurs should get the pack with the sword. Fusiliers wearing the great coat should get the pack without the greatcoat rolled on top.
  All very well thought out. I eagerly await the next item in production. What could it be? Napoleonic cavalry? Hussars? Dragoons? Chasseurs a cheval?
   Photos to follow after; 1.) Some of the figures are actually painted, and 2.) I acquire greater skill with the new 'mystery camera.'
Regards,
Dow
PS - Begin to suspect that the Perry Brothers are on the verge of one of those infrequent 'Hobby Breakthroughs' that lead to (forced perspective) riches and glory. Sort of like when Games Workshop first introduced plastic Space Marines.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 03:37:16 AM by Major Weenie »

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
Re: Perry Plastic Napoleonics
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 04:53:34 AM »
I very much like the look of those, but will probably have to wait until I purchase some. How far back in time can that uniform be used for? I was intending to use them for Royal Navy for some piratey fun. Not so sure how!

I'm certainly looking forward to the pics!

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 07:52:16 AM »
Marvellous they are. Sadly, half the models are clad in 1812-uniforms - besides its name this uniform wasn't comprehensively introduced until late 1813, mostly not until the 1815 campaigns.
Next in the production line seems to be some British Regs that come with optional equipment for the Waterloo campaign as well as for the Peninsular War. Looking forward to them.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 10:27:03 AM »
They do look very nice and I am tempted but probably next year as I want to build on FIW, Though if the Victrix ones live up to the small number of images I think I will be more likely to go for them

Isnt it nice to have a choice though both which areextremely nice

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 02:24:26 PM »
If they ever do French the earlier uniform I'll get loads for the Peninsular War, but until then it's the Perrys Sudan Wars range for me  :)

Offline sdobson

• Lurker
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 12:17:40 PM »
Hoping you chaps can help me out. I've just got the boxed set. On the uniform guide it says that the Sabre should only go on the flank companies. Er which are flank companies? I guess you can tell from this that I'm quite new to Napoleonics (just could not resist getting this box).
Thanks for any help.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 12:56:01 PM »
Hoping you chaps can help me out. I've just got the boxed set. On the uniform guide it says that the Sabre should only go on the flank companies. Er which are flank companies? I guess you can tell from this that I'm quite new to Napoleonics (just could not resist getting this box).
Thanks for any help.

Grenadier and Voltigeur companies. They should also have the fringed epaulettes, rather than plain shoulder straps.

When deployed in line, the Grenadiers would be on the right flank, with the Voltigeurs on the left.

/InfanterieLigne(voltigeurs)a.png&usg=AFQjCNF5UWhuIPsmStsIVFuValP0vwqmhQ